What positions do we need to recruit?

bdu98196

Guest Shaun

Nicky is our FIFTH departure according to Inverness Courier :-/ :-/.

It says that the 5 are: Tarmo Kink; Edward Ofere; Marley Watkins; Graeme Shinnie and now Nicky Ross.

We really do need to sign 5-6 new players now and only have a month or less in which to have signed the players!

Edited by Shaun

Nicky is our FIFTH departure according to Inverness Courier :-/ :-/.

It says that the 5 are: Tarmo Kink; Edward Ofere; Marley Watkins; Graeme Shinnie and now Nicky Ross.

We really do need to sign 5-6 new players now and only have a month or less in which to have signed the players!

I'm not sure I agree with getting in as many as 5-6 considering we have the likes Calum Ferguson, Ali Sutherland, Jason Brown on the bench to add already. I reckon we need a 3 first team quality signings (Left Back, Winger and Striker) and we'd be set IMO. 

We can ignore Kink as a loss since he never played but we shouldnt overlook Billy leaving in Jan at a time when I think all agreed we were already a striker short in squad size. But reality is thats 5 off established first team players who have gone and none of these young lads got a look in last year but we are expecting them to step up and fill the places vacant, thats a huge ask.

With the players we have its going to be a huge season for guys like Doran & Vincent to prove they are a mainstay player for the full season and not someone who drops in and out.

I said this in the contract situation thread that with a squad of 16 plus MacKay, Ferguson, Sutherland and Brown, plus Polworth looking to press his claim also now we probably need at least 2 or preferably 3 new signings.

A striker is the main main priority. If we only manage one signing it must be a striker. Then a winger and Left full back (or someone who can do both). Depending if Williams goes back to Left wing back or stays higher up the pitch will probably define which to go for if there is a choice to be made. That being said if we can sign a left back I'd probably look at a right winger. Either way we need to replace the pace lost from the team with Watkins and Shinnie.

Kink is no loss. So losing Ross, I'd expect Polworth and Vincent to battle there. It's really just Watkins, Shinnie and Mckay/Ofere that need replaced.

We're well stocked through the middle at least.

Guest Shaun

I said this in the contract situation thread that with a squad of 16 plus MacKay, Ferguson, Sutherland and Brown, plus Polworth looking to press his claim also now we probably need at least 2 or preferably 3 new signings.

A striker is the main main priority. If we only manage one signing it must be a striker. Then a winger and Left full back (or someone who can do both). Depending if Williams goes back to Left wing back or stays higher up the pitch will probably define which to go for if there is a choice to be made. That being said if we can sign a left back I'd probably look at a right winger. Either way we need to replace the pace lost from the team with Watkins and Shinnie.

Kink is no loss. So losing Ross, I'd expect Polworth and Vincent to battle there. It's really just Watkins, Shinnie and Mckay/Ofere that need replaced.

That is a good point and tbh, it would be good to see youngsters like Polworth, Brown, Sutherland, Ferguson and Mackay get more game time this season, same goes for Horner so as you say a left back and 2/3 Strikers are all thats needed, maybe one on loan.

I know that some are saying that we need a goalie in on loan so that Brill can fully recover from his injury but I don't think thats a priority, Mackay is surely capable of stepping up if necessary.

As I have always said, "In Hughes we trust".:ictscarf::ictscarf:

Edited by Shaun

That is a good point and tbh, it would be good to see youngsters like Polworth, Brown, Sutherland, Ferguson and Mackay get more game time this season, same goes for Horner so as you say a left back and 2/3 Strikers are all thats needed, maybe one on loan.

I know that some are saying that we need a goalie in on loan so that Brill can fully recover from his injury but I don't think thats a priority, Mackay is surely capable of stepping up if necessary.

As I have always said, "In Hughes we trust".:ictscarf::ictscarf:

Always?

I think that Hughes will know in his head what he wants. But he'll also want to see how the team takes shape without the players that have left. We're usually quite successful at not signing guff. As we can't really afford to sign someone then find that they aren't any good. We are not The Rangers. Or Neil Lennons Celtic where we just sign anyone going.
So come pre season he'll give it good thought.

The main priority is having a recognised striker for our European games IMHO. Priority number 1. The rest can be dealt with before the window closes. As we have 1 left back. We have wingers. The squad is just thin. And strikerless.

Even putting my complete skinflint hat on ... A striker with a decent, proven goalscoring pedigree is an absolute must/ bare minimum ... ideally before Astra game. Between McKay leaving and Ofere arriving we looked seriously lacking in ruthless penalty box finishing even against much lesser opposition ... and we had Marley back then. 

• Agree 1

A recurring theme is that we are probably needing a further 'defensive' player in, possibly left-sided, to challenge/cover positions.
I see our neighbours have signed Ricky Foster, who can comfortably play either full-back position. He's the same age (29) as Tremarco, but arguably more experienced and versatile.

He clearly had no issue with moving to the Highlands...have we 'missed-a-trick' here?!

Edited by Sneckboy

A recurring theme is that we are probably needing a further 'defensive' player in, possibly left-sided, to challenge/cover positions.
I see our neighbours have signed Ricky Foster, who can comfortably play either full-back position. He's the same age (29) as Tremarco, but arguably more experienced and versatile.

He clearly had no issue with moving to the Highlands...have we 'missed-a-trick' here?!

Foster was abysmal last season with Rangers. If we were even interested, County would have offered more money anyway. 

For me a left back and two strikers are essential. If Tremarco get's injured then who are we suppose to play there? Adam Eckersley would be a great signing, if he was willing to play in the championship with Hearts then maybe he'd be willing to play for us. In terms of strikers it would be great to have a dynamic sort of forward like McKay, whilst also having a physical presence like Ofere to give us options. I'm not too convinced that a proven striker in the conference south like JJ Hooper would be able to make the grade in the SPL, if he does then it doesn't say much for our league!

Really can't complain about our recruitment strategy in recent years with some of the gems we have found, McKay, Rooney, Meekings, Doran etc. I'd like to think we are more capable of attracting better players, especially considering that the players we have brought in from the lower leagues have improved tremendously as footballers whilst playing for us. Since Hughes has came in, almost every single player has improved their game individually as well as collectively. He's made some decent signing in bringing Tansey back and getting Ofere in, so hopefully we'll see more of the same, preferably before the Astra game!

• Agree 1

I think 2 strikers should be a minimum. We’ve been lucky in recent years to avoid injuries in key positions but we really lacked anything up front the month we were without McKay and before Ofere joined. Not to forget Billy struggled at the end of the 13/14 season after having to play every single game. JJ Hooper has a good record in lower leagues in England and is still only 21 so would be a decent choice to have on the bench but I’d hope for a more experienced/proven player to lead us into Europe. From what others have said it seems like Roberts looks like a decent player, again at only 21, and with Doran/Christie/Williams/Vincent we are not bad placed for supporting midfielders. Only other area needing filled is a full back, and one that is more comfortable on the left. Unsure about suggestions of Williams – feel he is definitely better going forward and could be a bit lightweight and almost seen as a target by teams in our mostly solid back 4.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jon Stead was signed by Blackburn from the lower level of the English game. Granted that was probably too big a jump in hindsight but he did show glimpses in his first season of the talent that persuaded them to sign him from 4 leagues down and throw him into the 1st team.

It's not necessarily about the level of player he's been against before. It's whether he has the considered ability to play at the required level and the specific aspects to his game that can translate over the levels (positioning, game reading, intelligence, timing etc). You'd also look at whether he is quick enough, strong enough and naturally fit enough.