Inverness Caledonian Thistle Consistency

Sneckboy

When we were knocking-on-the-door of the top-6 but again just missing out, I remember realising just how difficult an accomplishment it was - and hoped that one day we could achieve it.

5th place, and certainly 4th seemed fanciful - so to have achieved 3 consecutive top-six placings and a 3rd placed finish is extraordinary!

But, to be ranked 2nd in Scotland over the past 3 seasons is insane! Not even a chat between 12th Man and Bughtmaster would have dared predict such!

Total positions for the nine clubs who've contested all the SPL/Premiership seasons in the past 3 years:

post-3020-0-46404100-1433504530_thumb.jp

N.B. Interestingly, County have set a 'wee pattern' - could they be heading for 11th this season?!

• Agree 11

They say that 53% of statistics are flawed but that is an interesting one. It clearly illustrates that we have become a Top Six team. We really are no one season wonders - and add to that three cup semi-finals on the trot and two finals in the last two seasons - well :smile:

• Agree 1

well....our high positions have been facilitated by the fact that Rangers werent in the league, Hearts were in free fall and both themselves and Hibs were out of the league for a season. I think once the SPFL regains its full strength, we will be back to scrapping to get into the top 6. Just my honest/grounded/unbiased opinion

When we were knocking-on-the-door of the top-6 but again just missing out, I remember realising just how difficult an accomplishment it was - and hoped that one day we could achieve it.

5th place, and certainly 4th seemed fanciful - so to have achieved 3 consecutive top-six placings and a 3rd placed finish is extraordinary!

But, to be ranked 2nd in Scotland over the past 3 seasons is insane! Not even a chat between 12th Man and Bughtmaster would have dared predict such!

Total positions for the nine clubs who've contested all the SPL/Premiership seasons in the past 3 years:

average.jpg

N.B. Interestingly, County have set a 'wee pattern' - could they be heading for 11th this season?!

Armageddon.

well....our high positions have been facilitated by the fact that Rangers werent in the league, Hearts were in free fall and both themselves and Hibs were out of the league for a season. I think once the SPFL regains its full strength, we will be back to scrapping to get into the top 6. Just my honest/grounded/unbiased opinion

I honestly think this team would have achieved top 6 regardless. They really are a special bunch.....

• Agree 3

When we were knocking-on-the-door of the top-6 but again just missing out, I remember realising just how difficult an accomplishment it was - and hoped that one day we could achieve it.

5th place, and certainly 4th seemed fanciful - so to have achieved 3 consecutive top-six placings and a 3rd placed finish is extraordinary!

Total positions for the nine clubs who've contested all the SPL/Premiership seasons in the past 3 years:

attachicon.gifaverage.jpg

You seem to have plenty of time on your hands Sneckboy? :lol:

Interestingly, I also spotted something the other day that said that Celtic's turnover is more than the rest of the Premiership put together.

Perhaps an even more valid measure, but still operating on the "lowest number best" principle would be to multiply the numbers in Sneckboy's right hand column by the clubs' turnovers. Now (although Sneckboy might :lol: ) I don't have time to look every club's up, but have done for Celtic, Aberdeen and St J, and we know that ICT's is around £3.8M.

So for these two...

ICT = 3.8 x 12 = 45.6

St Johnstone = 5.2 x 13 = 67.6

Aberdeen = 11.2 x 13 = 145.6

I suspect all the rest, if checked, would fit into this space befroe you get to the bottom of this particular league.....

Celtic = 75.2 x 3 = 225.6

Given that Celtic have to shift more cash than all the rest put together to win a league where there was still, after New Year, debate about whether they might not, I am in no doubt that Celtic are bottom of this financial efficiency league which is topped by ICT - all of five times more efficient than Celtic and 50% more efficient than anyone else.

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 1

If by "full strength" you mean a league plagued with teams over-spending to achieve then you can keep it.

For the first season in many, many years I've had a real interest in games beyond our own.  Part of that is obviously down to what ICTFC have been achieving and keeping a closer eye on the competition, but the fact that it's been an "honest" season without teams spending beyond their means has also played a large part.

I'm thoroughly looking forward to another season of the same.

• Agree 1

You have to be joking surely! Firstly, yes Rangers weren't in the league. Are they in the league for next year? Hearts were in freefall? Yes they were and turned it round spectacularly and will be a force to be reckoned with. Hibs are certainly no great shakes and even if they did make the top league would have struggled to stay there. Dundee were once the big side in that city and Dunfermline had the beating of just about everyone at one stage in the sixties. Just because some sides were mighty, that is no guarantee the status quo will continue. We got where we were on merit. By living within our means and playing good football. Don't demean us by saying we wouldn't be good enough to compete with a bunch of losers who couldn't live within their budgets.

• Agree 2

Ah yes, facilitated by a club who went bust and it's phoenix club were not good enough to win promotion from the second tier and were gubbed home and away by a team who were rotten all season.  Hearts' challenging at the top end of league was facilitated by money they didn't have.  Hibs have been rubbish for years.  You could also argue as well that we didn't achieve second this year because of a rejuvenated Aberdeen.  A team who were pretty rotten in the years you harp back to.  The Premiership (it's not called the SPFL by the way) would be weakened had these teams been in it, not the other way round.

Maybe we shouldn't talk about ICT's accomplishments until the traditional 'big' Scottish teams are back.  That means no gloating until Clyde, Queen's Park and Vale of Leven are back in the top tier!

I'm not going to pursue the 'turnover-to-points' stat as I agree you've addressed the findings there, CB.

ICT's return from spending (or lack of) is extraordinary.

On one cccasion some years ago at a press conference, Terry Butcher quoted the "wages per point" figure..... and hence instantly revealed the club's wage bill!

• Agree 1

ICT consistency..................something else that is consistent is/are the goals we score, they are incredibly fantastic I have been watching them time after time and they never fail to amaze me.......... the build ups, the opportunism, the execution.......nobody does it better!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My favourite .............must go to David Raven's fairy tale ending against Ceptic...but there were so many others so  well taken and none more valuable than James Vincent's cracker in the Final................................The Red and the Blue................Nobody does it better .................no song could be more fitting.