Nat Wedderburn

ICTRoughi

Going unnoticed within the same HNews article is that Edward Ofere wont be returning to us:cry:

not so good if correct, does that leave us with Calum Ferguson as our only striker

Correct but Foran can also play upfront. Tbh Christie and Ferguson had quite a good partnership in the U20's when they were playing together 

Guest Shaun

A left back and 2/3 Strikers are a must now, goalkeeper not as essential as Cammy Mackay a sub until Brill back, wouldn't complain if a loanee goalie was signed though.

As I have  said a couple of times, in Hughes we trust :ictscarf:.

Out of interest, does it say in the Highland News article how long Wedderburn is signed for? I see that he is only 23, so as previously said by others under the right management, he may flourish. 

Edited by ICTRoughi

Out of interest, does it say in the Highland News article how long Wedderburn is signed for? I see that he is only 23, so as previously said by others under the right management, he may flourish. 

24 at the end of the month 

Aye, still fairly young and can fill in at centre back which is also handy I suppose. 

It's a one year deal and the club have a further one year option.

• Agree 1

Which is not legally enforceable if the player decides he doesn't want to stay another year.

I too greet this with positivity. It is the individual potential that we are looking at not who he has feckin played for. And then look at his pedigree - Academy player of the year at Stoke and called up fer the England Under 19 squad. And the he had a slate of injury problems which clearly hampered his progress (now where have we heard that before ?). He is only 23 and has clear potential. And he has been watched by us for some time and hopefully that means that he will fit into the system quickly and if the job has been done right so will his personality. This is also a young man given another chance on the big stage and perhaps he is raring to showcase his talent and prove that he really has got what it takes. Welcome Nat Wedderburn. As fer Ofere I really do not think that he is any loss. Bad news is that James Dean has just signed a 1 year contract extension at Chorley.

• Agree 1

I too greet this with positivity. It is the individual potential that we are looking at not who he has feckin played for. And then look at his pedigree - Academy player of the year at Stoke and called up fer the England Under 19 squad. And the he had a slate of injury problems which clearly hampered his progress (now where have we heard that before ?). He is only 23 and has clear potential. And he has been watched by us for some time and hopefully that means that he will fit into the system quickly and if the job has been done right so will his personality. This is also a young man given another chance on the big stage and perhaps he is raring to showcase his talent and prove that he really has got what it takes. Welcome Nat Wedderburn. As fer Ofere I really do not think that he is any loss. Bad news is that James Dean has just signed a 1 year contract extension at Chorley.

Whilst still not enthused, I agree with what you say although I do think that Ofere is a loss but he was never going to resign if his agent got a better offer elsewhere and clearly he sniffs a better offer somewhere.

A loss maybe but we have lost much better and certainly more influential players before and replaced them with better.

I think that our fortunes next season will turn, to a very large extent, on which experienced forward(s) we bring in. It would be unreasonable and unfair on the player to rely on young Callum Ferguson.

Of course Ofere is a loss. He's scored 5 goals in 10 games for us and it's no coincidence that our form picked up once he arrived in January. Goalscoring strikers don't grow on trees.

It's pleasing to read that we have been tracking this lad for a bit of time and wasn't just a move that's come out of the blue.  I'm also encouraged after reading both his and Yogi's quotes on the club website as my main concern with this move was him getting the lack of game time that Lewis Horner got last season.  At least Nat has come in and knows there is a challenge and I guess competition for places in centre mid is going to be interesting now. 

Damned if we look to lower leagues and damned if we dont. Personally I like to think the club is best placed to know what they are doing. We have signed many players from lower leagues before and some have even turned out to be excellent for us.

• Agree 1

Which is not legally enforceable if the player decides he doesn't want to stay another year.

I don't know exactly how these are set up or worded within the paperwork, but I believe it's possibly more accurate to say that it is a 2 year contract in which the club have an option to terminate early without penalty.

I don't know exactly how these are set up or worded within the paperwork, but I believe it's possibly more accurate to say that it is a 2 year contract in which the club have an option to terminate early without penalty.

In which case, perfectly enforceable. :smile:

Find it rather amusing that some fans moan about us not looking at lower leagues in Scotland....then moan their t1ts off the moment we sign a player from the lower leagues in Scotland :lol:

The lower leagues of Scotland, England and further afield should be encouraged for places to look for players however considering the depth we have in centre midfield of which contains: Tansey, Draper, Christie, Vincent, Foran, Polworth and Horner (Nick Ross Excluded), I just have my doubts as to whether the boy will be a worthwhile signing for both parties - I do look forward to being proven wrong though! 

I used to use the "look forward to being proven wrong" line myself....but I came to realise that it's just BS.  Nobody REALLY wants to be proven wrong and the phrase only serves to say "I have no faith in my own evaluation of the situation and will just place this here as my get out clause".

It's up there with those people who bet against their own team just so they can say "oh well, at least I made a couple of quid" if they lose.

I don't agree with that bit.  I can understand why someone would bet against their own team, it's kind of a win/win situation.
Not that I ever do that, but that's more through silly superstitions than anything else.

Look at all this negativity because we signed him from Cowbenbeath.  Mental!

Hmmmmm...
Actually I agree.  If we carry on like this next thing we'll be signing players from the likes of Kendal Town.
Now that would just be... wait... :blink:

• Agree 1

I wonder if Wedderburn has been signed with the intention of going to back three more often next season.  Seemingly, Wedderburn is very left footed.  I wonder if the plan is to play him on the left side of a back three with Raven and Williams as wing-backs bombing up and down the line.  With a plan of playing 5-3-2 or the 3-4-2-1 as we saw against Partick, could also mean that we wouldn't need to sign another out and out winger to replace Watkins.

Considering the positions we have covered at the moment, on paper it's surprising that we've gone for another defender and central midfielder.  Perhaps though it was done because Hughes invisions us playing a different formation next season and he can act as cover for the roles within it.