ICT Loans - the good, the bad and the ugly

Council Juice

In my opinion we've never been a club who've been overly indulgent in the loan market, but I'd be keen for Yogi to dip his toes if the talent is available and willing. After all he did help launch the careers of Antony Stokes and Kasper Schmeichel who were both very successful at falkirk, and current Dutch international keeper Tim Krul as well.

Over the years we've had limited success in the loan market. Where most would agree that Golabert was a success, there's also the downright rank Berjam Fetais and the completely uninterested Darren Mackies.

So lets have a wee survey thingy. In your opinion, who have been our most successful loans to date, our worst and then the ones that were just a complete catastrophe?

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Good - 

• Roman Golobart (Wigan)
  • Dean Brill (Luton Town)
  • David Davis (Wolverhampton Wanderers)
  • Aaron Doran (Blackburn Rovers)
  • Dennis Wyness (Hearts)
  • Charlie Taylor (Leeds)

Mediocre - 

• Steve Williams (Bradford City)
  • Aiden Chippendale (Huddersfield)
  • Steve Watt (Swansea - played well in his one game against Arbroath and was strangely never seen again!)
  • Kevin McCann (Hibernian)

Rubbish -

• Zibi Malkowski (Hibernian)
  • Phil McGuire (Dunfermline Athletic)
  • Alex MacDonald (Burnley)
  • Jordan Gibbons (QPR)
  • Bajram Fetai (Rangers)
  • Darren Mackie (Aberdeen)
  • Philip Roberts (Arsenal)
  • Tom Aldred (Watford)
  • Andre Blackman (Celtic - On the rubbish list for being more trouble than he was worth!)
Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1

I notice you haven't categorised Charlie Taylor Rene

Forgot about him!

I thought McCann was decent...just ridiculously prone to injury. Pretty sure he was going to be signed if he didnt get injured again.

Put him in the wrong column!

I would definitely agree with Rene's list however I would actually say Philip Roberts despite missing the semi final penalty wasn't all bad (if he could be bothered) I remember a game at the TCS where he had a stormer against Dundee United, I would say he was mediocre with flashes of good rather than bad. 

One that's not been mentioned was Andre Blackman, I actually thought he was good for the two games with us but he had honking attitude behind the scenes at the club before being binned. 

Roberts helped in score the very, very, very, very late equaliser against the gypos in the Scottish Cup.  His attitude may have been pretty poor but he was not the worst by far.

Tom Aldred was the worst for me.
He was told to captain the under 21's or 18's so got off the bus in a huff and went back down south.  Complete tw@t and the worst loan player we've had by a long way IMO.

Phil Roberts had some excellent games for us when he was first introduced into the team and contributed some cracking goals and assists. IIRC Butcher dropped him harshly then started bringing him on as a striker late on in games (rather than his natural midfield position) and his confidence was completely shot. He was never the same again. It's also worth re-iterating that he was only 18 at the time.

Edited by AlexJones

• 2 weeks later...

Phil Roberts had some excellent games for us when he was first introduced into the team and contributed some cracking goals and assists. IIRC Butcher dropped him harshly then started bringing him on as a striker late on in games (rather than his natural midfield position) and his confidence was completely shot. He was never the same again. It's also worth re-iterating that he was only 18 at the time.

Actually he was a striker by trade and Butcher used to waste him out wide for some reason.  Roberts started well enough and then lost interest (decent, wouldn't go as far as excellent).  The same happened at Falkirk before he properly threw the dummy out (leading to some of their fans to speculate that he had something wrong with him).  The same thing happened at Dundee and then spent the rest of the season at Alloa.  He might have some ability but his attitude stank.  I remember a 0-0 in Perth just after Xmas that season where he came on with ten minutes to go and just plodded around interested in the middle of the pitch.  

Granted, he did have some raw talent.  He just didn't seem to have the drive to achieve his potential.

I thought McGuire done well for us while on loan, it was when we signed him he went terrible.

You're not wrong there actually.  He was sturdy enough for the first few months, then when Brewster gave him a full time deal (three years was it?) he became garbage.

Edited by Renegade

Was Mihadjuks on loan?  I thought it was a short-term deal.  He'd be in the 'good' column.  Bulvitis probably needs a column of his own!  He could go from looking pretty solid one week to horrendously erratic the next!

Edited by Renegade