It's not about the money but.........

Westhill1

It's not about the money.......However does anyone have a clue what the club made in terms of finance from our brilliant cup success? I would make a guess that we made a profit in the region of 500K however without knowing what kind of well deserved bonus the boys were on for lifting the cup this really is a stab in the dark. We must have done well in terms of merchandise sales and would have received a six figure sum from William Hill for winning the trophy plus whatever cut there was in terms of ticket sales. It would be nice to hear from people in the know?

Guess you'll find out post agm or when the pre/post tax accounts are announced. I know we're a private company but quite sure, if memory serves me correctly, accounts still get announced or at least published annually.

Probably a years worth of free bets...

Guess you'll find out post agm or when the pre/post tax accounts are announced. I know we're a private company but quite sure, if memory serves me correctly, accounts still get announced or at least published annually.

Accounts have to be produced annually and lodged with Companies House. These are public documents and can be obtained online for £1.  They are also distributed to shareholders and discussed at the company AGM. 

Accounts have to be produced annually and lodged with Companies House. These are public documents and can be obtained online for £1.  They are also distributed to shareholders and discussed at the company AGM. 

I believe that, as a Private Limited Company, the club are not obliged to publish a detailed breakdown of income so I'd save my pound if I were you. The accounts come out after AGM and I'm thinking  the next ones wont include income earned in May due to dates of financial year.

Accounts will be published, but remember that organisations employ accounts for 2 main reasons.

To ensure the company pays as little tax as possible

To ensure that as little meaningful information as possible is provided to people who are not directly involved in the running of the company. 

ICT's financial year has, so far anyway, ended on 31st May. I would therefore imagine that of the various windfalls of the season just ended - the McKay transfer, third place prize money, Scottish Cup etc - some will contribute to what the board will publish in the autumn while the rest will "roll over" to the 2015-16 accounts. Given ICT's relatively heavy dependence in recent years on windfalls such as investments, cup runs and the sale of the Social Club, this could be very good news across two financial years.

I believe that, as a Private Limited Company, the club are not obliged to publish a detailed breakdown of income so I'd save my pound if I were you. The accounts come out after AGM and I'm thinking  the next ones wont include income earned in May due to dates of financial year.

the accounts form part of the annual tax return, and although the breakdown will not be detailed, income and expenditure will have to placed tinpot such buckets that it may be possible to deduce some of what has gone on. 

Accounts will be published, but remember that organisations employ accounts for 2 main reasons.

To ensure that as little meaningful information as possible is provided to people who are not directly involved in the running of the company. 

Accounts are employed for the reason that they are a statutory requirement for a limited company. Failure to produce accounts on time can lead to sanctions up to and including the strike off of a company from the register of limited companies. In addition, failure to produce timely accounts could lead to sanctions from the footballing authorities, and would lead to the witholding of a uefa licence. 

Clubs employ accountants to minimise the amount of tax they have to pay, and private limited companies tend to produce accounts containing the least information legally required. To give more than that would be commercially naive. 

Accounts are employed for the reason that they are a statutory requirement for a limited company. Failure to produce accounts on time can lead to sanctions up to and including the strike off of a company from the register of limited companies. In addition, failure to produce timely accounts could lead to sanctions from the footballing authorities, and would lead to the witholding of a uefa licence. 

Clubs employ accountants to minimise the amount of tax they have to pay, and private limited companies tend to produce accounts containing the least information legally required. To give more than that would be commercially naive. 

I was originally going to say there were three reasons for employing accountants with the third being to comply with legal and statutory requirements.  But then it occurred to me that many companies (not ICT, of course) employ accountants to conceal the fact that there are some legal and statutory requirements that they are not complying with.  Such companies usually engage the services of expensive lawyers as well.  I'd better stop now or I might need one myself.

• Agree 1

As a shareholder, my dividend is seeing the club do well ..... 

I could care less if we make £10K profit or £500K provided that those tasked with the stewardship of the club are seen to be doing a good job and maximising our income (or minimising our loss) whilst providing the manager the funds to ensure he can get the lads to do the business on the pitch. Unlike some other teams we are very lucky and although its a huge juggling act our board have done it succesfully for a number of years.  

• Agree 2

As a shareholder, my dividend is seeing the club do well ..... 

I could care less if we make £10K profit or £500K provided that those tasked with the stewardship of the club are seen to be doing a good job and maximising our income (or minimising our loss) whilst providing the manager the funds to ensure he can get the lads to do the business on the pitch. Unlike some other teams we are very lucky and although its a huge juggling act our board have done it succesfully for a number of years.  

You could care less eh? So there is caring to some degree there then? As opposed to you couldn't care less by which there is no possible way you could have less caring on the matter.

Signs youve lived in North America too long :wink:

But yeah as long as the clubs being run properly and is able to remain solvent and stable whilst providing a platform for manager and players to perform then the specifics matter little to me.

Oh My!

There are a few phrases in general use in Canada that I had to also scratch my head about when I came over just like the above one. "I could care less"  is one I particularly found challenging I must admit. But of course when I put on my Brit hat after returning to Blighty, I  change back to British talk as best I can ---bearing in mind that 40 years abroad sailing before the Red Flagged mast does change a fella.

Canajins don't like us, that much to be honest. We are better educated and  have a long background in history etc .A Manager of the Bank I joined over here once made it perfectly clear to me that my presence, as it represented competition and snotty -nosed advice ( in his view at least ) was "you lot come over here and tell us what to do" which was the shock of the century. No friendly handshake, no chit chat no welcome with a smile. ..

So, the bottom line is :- you either make the effort to adapt and fit in without asking too many uppity questions or go back to where you came from. Going to the colonies is about survival and major effort and there are few hand-outs. Being a very hard worker,. with at least a modicum of brains and initiative does help but finding people who like you for yourself etc is alsoi very important. Go find your birds of a feather and flock together is a good survival strategy.:clapping:

Problem is you can't put an old head on young shoulders so gradually you adopt what you have o0therwise unless yo7u are "in" with a coerie of imntelligensia then you will be the one to stand out as either the renegade or the odd pone

• Agree 2

Yeah.....It only came to my attention due to David Mitchell's YouTube soapbox rant on the subject of that particular phrase and now it's stuck. I'm not much of a grammar Nazi normally. I understand that language is constantly adapting and evolving. It's just it doesn't make sense for the context in which it is used. 

• Agree 3

It's the Americans' use of the word "bathroom" that gets me.  They seem to feel it is OK to bomb any oil rich or strategically important poor country whose Government they don't like, but to use the word "toilet" is seen as a bit indelicate. Or is it that at home they don't have toilets and actually use the bath?  At least that way (unlike with some of their bombing) they shouldn't miss.

• Agree 1

....except Rangers, who are allowed to ride rough-shod over all regulations because "we need them back in the top flight".:offtopic01:

• Agree 1

It's the Americans' use of the word "bathroom" that gets me.  They seem to feel it is OK to bomb any oil rich or strategically important poor country whose Government they don't like, but to use the word "toilet" is seen as a bit indelicate. Or is it that at home they don't have toilets and actually use the bath?  At least that way (unlike with some of their bombing) they shouldn't miss.

more often it's the bizarre 'restroom' you see when you're out

Edited by TheMantis

nahh, its 'washroom' these days. 

And how do you feel about it also being referred to as the "John"?!

And how do you feel about it also being referred to as the "John"?!

Respect for JOHN please  :wink:

....except Rangers, who are allowed to ride rough-shod over all regulations because "we need them back in the top flight".:offtopic01:

They still have to play by the legal rules - failing to do so led to their administration and liquidation.

As far as the rules and regs of Scottish football are concerned, their interpretation is somewhat inconsistent depending on who has broken them.

But I suppose the thought of Armageddon and Civil Unrest can make people behave irrationally.