"San Andreas" -- The Movie, in 3D .

If you take this one in, then you are in for an incredible ride and an incredible movie.

In 3D with glasses supplied I recommend that you sit at the back of the theatre to avoid severe hearing loss or...take ear plugs with you into the theatre. And go to the bathroom before you enter because some of the scenes are gut wrenching or even spellbinding.

But, that apart, this movie reflects what IS going to happen  when the Big One hits the West Coast of America and Canada. It's countless years overdue at this moment so any day now, dearies, any day now this cataclysmic event, carrying a 10 or 11 or even 12  (!) category of  'quake , can strike us here in the West. At least we have Vancouver Island in the way to, possibly, protect us from the onslaught when the Tsunami arrives  like a colossus of  behemoth proportions, but personally speaking I don't think it will have much effect on it because there are really no mountains on that island and facing a wave that could easily be some 300 feet high with enormous weight and the tremendous power of water the River Fraser will be inundated for miles.

The San Andreas fault is a fault line running right through Western  California north and into the states above that. No one is spared, even British Columbia, where we live in Canada. This fault is the marker where the Pacific Plate meets the North American plate and the huge earthquake that will result when these two plates, currently gradually slipping under or over one another  let go and slip. The power of this event is unimaginable and I am sure glad I live on somewhat high ground some 50 miles inland from Vancouver.

The music alone is fantastic and the scenes are quite unbelievable. How they do these scenes or special, very realistic, effects is mind blowing. It's like you are sitting right there and  privileged to be a witness to the event --on screen it is so realistic that it's downright scary.

The helicopter scenes alone are worth the money.. I mean that. When I came out of the movie I was so gobsmacked that I declare I would have paid twice that amount if asked had I known what to expect.

Funny thing was that my wife wanted to see the new one Jurassic World or something and  we changed our mind  at the last moment in the queue at the ticket cashier because the movie was about to start and we didn't have time to hang around in that line-up. Let me just say this---you won't be bored and sleepy. It's action from start to finish. I rarely ever go to a movie these days but this one  was worth getting off the sofa for I can tell you.

Cheers guys and dolls. Have a great time. And IHE, if you wear diapers, don't forget them if you are lucky enough to see this movie in a theatre near you.

Scarlet's star rating:  5 out of 5.

• 4 months later...

Eh what?   PHIL 38 . Been looking at too many videos  with vampires and gore aplenty, maybe, ?

Oh well, takes all kinds to make a world. But if I foretold you that when the Tsunami arrives it's going to take a major portion of California and dump it into the sea along with, I suppose, between 10 and 15 million people how would you respond to that? Boredom?

"So, how would that happen  S.P.?" You say...........Because the San Andreas fault  runs right down through California and that's where it's going to split open. Not to mention the fact that that's exactly what the movie is all about. Including  the build-up which is scary enough.

Did you guys also know that  I've experienced several mini earthquakes here in Vancouver over the past 40 years, the first sign of which is sitting idly at the computer and then suddenly seeing that the light shade hanging down from the ceiling is quivering violently although your body feels little and you get that sinking feeling in your gut because you know very well what is going on and the two plates are moving. So I will have to try to rake up the annual extra figure of $600 to add earthquake insurance to my home insurance policy, knowing that the huge initial deductible of thousands of dollars will not change and if it really happens then we are going to be all but wiped out financially.

Based on the standards of building perpetrated on us by the immigrant builders here in B.C,  I think that half of the city will fall down. The houses  are  all made of wooden frames these days and a Swedish engineer that I once ran into in my travels stated to me with a smile that he considered the houses here are like match boxes.          ULP!

The close- up helicopter views of the huge dam and it's collapse, with the resultant terrifying results, is awe inspiring.   Including the gradual build-up which is rivetting.:wave:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=san+andreas+fault+earthquake+prediction&form=PRCAEN&refig=14b03783b97a4ae3942b3369fffb85f3&pq=san+andreas+fauklt&sc=8-18&sp=2&qs=SC&sk=SC1

not seen it (yet) and will probably wait for it on TV given the critics and viewers alike gave it a 50% rating. Rotten tomatoes summarises it as follows:

"San Andreas has a great cast and outstanding special effects, but amidst all the senses-shattering destruction, the movie's characters and plot prove less than structurally sound."

Rotten Tomatoes verdict?  Oh Dear! .............But, c,mon, it's horses for courses...right?

Heh, chaps/chapesses , I went to the moivies after a long absence to be awed, surprised, riveted and entertained and I came out feeling stimulated and BLOWN AWAY.

Yep, no doubt in the fullness of time, this movie will be shown on my  55 inch H.D. colour television set in black and white or something. But why wait when I can get 3D and Dolbie surround sound  blowing my ears off and watching  a helicopter piloted by "The Rock"  going down, and down a very narrow canyon to rescue another pilot whose 'copter had a spectacular crash and burn, where the blades are spinning only inches from the sides and you begin to feel the sweat breaking out on your hands cleanched on the sides of the arms of your seat.

And no, I don't have any shares in any movie stocks so my opinion is unbiased.:smile::clapoverhead:

• 3 weeks later...

Theres two kind of movie lovers

- those that love a great well written script, structured and executed perfectly - me along with critics on rotten tomatoes obviously

-then those who just wantnon stop action, awesome visuals  and explosions - scarlet pimple, along with many others im sure

The greatest films are those that combine both these elements, so gladiator, LOTR, star wars, judgement day, to name a few 

But san andreas only covers the visuals and action

The worst film ever made in my opinion was the "clash of titans" and "wrath of the titans" made a few years ago. They are a perfect example of over endulged CGI whilst completely forgetting about the actual story, acting, plot and structure. 

When the action is hotter than a firecracker, a jaded  old geezer like me only wants  unusual scenes and views and what you said, Phil38.

I see enough plots on T V that I can only state were in the category of  "same old, same old." and boredom is not what I went to this one for. Edge of the seat antics and blistering sound is a novelty for S.P. i.e Entertainment, dearie, not exciting plots and skulldggerey and betrayal. I get enough of that  here on a daily basis.

But I have to admit that  watching the Vancouver Canucks come out of their shells last night on the expanded color screen T V  last night in a blistering-paced  ice hockey game in Vancouver against  New York , which they won by one goal, was exciting enough to last me for another couple of days. :cheer01:

Today the wife of a plumber came to my door with an Invoice  of $262 (about 131 pounds I suppose) . He spent about 15 minutes here, changed a small plastic valve to one of brass on an input water line to a bathroom sink upstairs and chit chatted a wee bit and then left. That's my supermarket bill for food for two weeks for goodness sake.

Haven't been to a movie for at least 3 years so it was g-r-e-a-t,  laddie.

Glad you enjoyed it you-all. For those who haven't, just  trust an old Canadian eagle not to drop the fish that he's just snagged in the river as he flies off to his lair...aye.:crazy:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Canadian+eagle+fishing+in+a+river&view=detailv2&&id=DAA2883212435DEA789CA6AF4546001C49CBF602&selectedIndex=104&ccid=uP9kfshl&simid=608008159786765975&thid=OIP.Mb8ff647ec865246d29c1b68d045070b8H0

• 4 weeks later...

As mentioned above, we do experience  continuous mini earthquakes in the Pacific North west of the U.S. and Canada but rarely have felt them since they usually manifest only in the form of quivering light pendants of which I've seen at least three over the past 40 odd years  since I arrived here.

On the Ist of January this year , however, we did get a significant earthquake just off our West coast registering 4.8 on the Richter scale whose epicentre was situated very close indeed. Accompanied by a heavy rumbling noise and shaking of the house for about 15 seconds it has scared a lot of people as a reminder of the "Big One" that scientists say  is long overdue and could be as high as 10 or 11, which is colossal, and we should all now prepare ourselves by storing  an emergency pack in the house  which would last us in terms of food, light, telephone, and heat for at least 72 hours. The house could be destroyed but what follows will be a gigantic Tsunami  as depicted in the above movie.

So it looks as if all we can do is take all reasonable precautions to survive and ...pray.

• 2 weeks later...

That's what happens when you enter advanced aging reclusiveness..   :smile:

After writing the above about the earthquake, Bughtie,  I sat down to watch a documentary which was all about the impending  one here on the West Coast of Canada and the United States. The evidence is utterly convincing and after the scientists went to Japan from both our countries they returned more convinced than ever about the imminence of the "Big ONE". I  was down talking to my East Indian insurance broker today and he says that he has already packed his emergency  pack since he also is convinced of the certainly and imminence of the event. He was 8 years in the Canadian Rangers up North and knows his stuff  and says his 3 guns will also be going with him wherever that is.

So, to complete my day,  he tagged another $600 Can. onto the insurance policy premium which I paid today and  says the insurance company will not rebuild the houses but will just hand a cheque to us for what they have to pay us after our deductibles have been paid, the latter being a cool $60,000 for the house plus  10% of the cost of the contents .  Their liability is already insured  by Lloyds of London so, apparently,  all the insurance gang pull together on this and the cost of the total damage will also be spread amongst all the premiums raised from clients in other provinces (together with other Provincial insurance companies I think as well) so this is going to be a big deal.:whoosh: