ICTFC v FC Astra Giurgiu // Travel + Build up

Sumudica the coach tried a weird tactic in the first half (kind of 3-5-2). It didn't work. Very poor defending tonight by Astra, while Targu Mures pressed well and made some clever counters.

The centre backs Gaman and Geraldo didn't play this game, but I guess they will be starters on Thursday.

Budescu scored again, this time with help from the keeper. Astra have some talented attacking players, but they aren't in form yet.

Makes me wonder how they did so well at defending here when they can let in 5 at home!

I guess the harsh truth is that even ordinary teams can be made to look 'solid and organised at the back' - if they're allowed to.
Astra have failed to win either of their opening two league games (both at home) and conceded 7 goals to the largely unheralded, Concordia Chiajna and Targu Mures.

We need to stop giving them so much respect and have a real go at their clearly, dodgy defence. Unfortunately, we appear to be quite impotent as a goal-scoring unit at present - but we have lost our top two marksmen from last season in Billy Mckay and Marley Watkins...plus Eddie Ofere.
Our top scorer from last season, still at the club, is Greg Tansey, but 4 of his 7 goals came from the penalty spot.

• Agree 2

Gotta go for the jugular then (no Dracula pun intended) and try to score a couple early on. The line up Renegade gave on another thread is a must. Richie candidate rattle their defence with Roberts, Doran and Christie in support.

Two more sleeps til Bucharest.

Edited by Row S

Apparently, this score equalled Astra's worst ever home score-line. It seems they also lost 5-1 at home to Rapid Bucharest in 1999, if this translation is correct!

The Astra lost for the second time in history the 4 goals at home, after the defeat of May 26, 1999, when defeated Rapid 5-1.

Good to see the highlights of their game last night - must offer some encouragement. The boy Budescu certainly likes to try a pop at goal from distance - Although the 'keeper should have dealt with it!

I'm in Bologna. Going to Venice>Slovenia>Hungary>Romania. If heat is like it is here in Italy then it'll be hard going. Likely need all subs early on. it's above average temperatures, proper roasting. 

I really hope we go for it and get it right up them. We can do it, early goal and attack them all over the park. I shall be getting steaming afterwards then lots of trains back to Bologna :) 

Looks like they are vulnerable from the wings going by a couple of those goals, we didn't use the wings nearly enough in our home leg and its something i've noticed under Yogi. He likes to have his attackers playing narrow and letting the full backs push on but our full backs were often too deep meaning we had no-one to put crosses in and Lopez and Christie were often being pulled wide leaving no-one in the box. We need to get our full backs forward and get decent crosses into the box for Lopez, Christie, Doran, Tansey to attack

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

I think its a 6pm KO Scottish time. It says 6pm on my betting sites and google.

I get that on some sites too, which would make it an 8pm KO time in Bucharest. Hopefully these sites rather than the club have effed up!

The BBC says 7pm/9pm though.

Edited by Guest

• Scotty unpinned this topic