Nick Ross signs for Dundee

ICTRoughi

Why so glum everyone. There are many better players than Nick out there. I've always said he was never a match winner, but normally neat and tidy and decent ball retention. However, I won't be losing any sleep over this. I'm sure he will be a welcome addition to the Dundee squad.

Onward and upward, we need more quality now than ever before.

Why so glum everyone. There are many better players than Nick out there. I've always said he was never a match winner, but normally neat and tidy and decent ball retention. However, I won't be losing any sleep over this. I'm sure he will be a welcome addition to the Dundee squad.

Onward and upward, we need more quality now than ever before.

considering John Hughes bases his tactical approach on retaining the ball and passing it about, it seems a bit strange we've let the best passer we had on the books go. I hope we'll see Nick back at the club in the future.

He's a good footballer for sure, but for an attacking midfielder he contributed very few goals and assists so he was never quite the finished article, despite some good spells. We've been waiting for him to 'bulk up' for about 4 years. Perhaps he wasn't pushing hard enough in the gym, perhaps he's just a hard gainer. I always rated him as a decent, honest player with good vision for a pass, but who never quite fulfilled his potential for whatever reason. When he first broke into the team under Butcher as a winger he looked fantastic. The archetypal 'nippy' youngster who took men on and dribbled past them. Laterally I can't even remember the last time he dribbled round an opponent. Maybe it's been coached out of him, maybe just a lack of confidence. A change of scene and a bit of new stimulation might be what he needs. Dundee is a good move for him IMO, Hartley teams play the same way as us so it should be an easy transition.

• Agree 1

Best passer...............hmmnnn. how do we evaluate that? There's more to the game than just being able to pass the ball neatly. We might be better off with a more robust and dynamic midfielder. Agree with AJ's post.

wont be losing any sleep over this. we have lost far better players than this squad player hayes, rooney, cowie, robson, wyness....................... and still went on to win the cup.    and now shinnie and watkins

a tidy player he was never blessed with a finishing touch.

apart from the hearts goal 2 stick out for me

1st goal the ball was played in to him, he was nearly on the goal line in the centre of the goal, no one near him. instead of sweeping it into the empty net he ended up scoring a " tam forsyth" cup final goal.

2nd my fav goal from him was wildly applauded by some on here during match day, so obviously not there to see it live, " good to see nick on the score sheet again" was the cry.

we attacked down the left and the ball was played across to nick at the front post. he had a fresh air swipe with his left foot and the ball went past him to the defender who in his panic punted the ball away only to hit nick and the ball crossed the line. he knew nothing about it.

• Disagree 1

Shame to hear he's gone but he's a professional footballer and needs to play football. 

There's usually a revolving door for players at Dens so he's done well with a 2 year deal.

Hope to see him back wearing the red and blue again someday.

A pity. Sort of felt last season I wanted to see more of him but there was a lot of competition for the midfield slots. Wish him well (except obvious times of games against us or that affect us). Everyone who was there that day remembers that last gasp 9 man equaliser - what football memories are made of. Should he not have been due a testimonial after 14 years? Thanks Nick

I would have liked him to stay although I don't think he would ever have been more that a decent squad player as long as we retain top six status.  I understand the desire to develop a career elsewhere but my fear for Nick at Dundee is that he will also be just a squad player there as well.  He's a tidy player but rarely offers much drive going forward.  He plays the safe ball rather than the risky ball that penetrates.  He also seems to lose his composure in front of goal and should have scored more than he has.  ICT have had a knack for getting the best out of players but somehow Nick's potential has never been properly realised here.  Maybe things will click for him in Dundee - but maybe not.  I am sure we will all watch his career with interest.

• Agree 1

Where does everyone expect we're going to find a player within our budget, comfortable on the ball with either foot, can play anywhere across the midfield, SPFL experience in a top 6 side and only 23 years old? 

Anyone that is brushing this aside as "no great loss" is underplaying how good a player Ross is... he might not have secured a regular first team place but whenever he was called on he was excellent.  If the board had invested in him with a major contract and shown commitment then there's every chance he could have taken the club on over the next few years. Now if ever is the time to invest ... not lose players to our rivals ffs!!

We could deal with losing a player like Ross on his own but after losing Shinnie, Watkins, Mckay and Ofere the team will take some patching up.  We'll obviously bounce back ...always do but with our first venture into European competition we should be at our strongest not limping into our first game.   

• Agree 3

Great signing for the Dees. Hartley is making some shrewd signings. I fully expect them to finish in the top six next season.

Well they finished 6th last term so it's not beyond the realms of possibility to repeat that feat....

Unfortunately for him, despite remarks from Yogi himself about being one of the clubs most technically gifted players, he'd dropped out of the first 11 reckoning and was often reduced to coming on to close games out.

If he feels that moving to Dundee to get more game time will further his career and get him out of his comfort zone (Didn't realise our bench was that nice) then best wishes to him and may he have a long and successful career, and may I say that I'd happily welcome him back in an ICT shirt in the future.

Good luck Nick!

• Agree 3

All he has known is Inverness. Long before the end of the season he was in the press making strong inferences that he might fancy a change of scene outside of his hometown. He probably felt this was his time and good to go out on a high. Doubt that any realistically good ICT offer would have kept him. Thanks for the memories Nick. It is essential now we recruit. I know we are a small club but it really is quite depressing seeing "bigger" clubs with less to play for making good signings ... Meanwhile the cup winners with a 2nd round Euro spot (which only Celtic can better) sees 3/4 big players leave and the only replacement to date is an underwhelming signing from a club that struggled in the division below for a position we already have fairly well covered. Trying to trust the gaffer but trust (as far as signings go) is waning rapidly.

I was very unhappy to see Ross leave , We need to sign players not lose them

In Butcher's time I felt he was a permanent feature, but his style was not really to Hughes liking.

I feel Dundee is not the best club for him, ( I had a hunch he would surface in South Wales.)

I was very unhappy to see Ross leave , We need to sign players not lose them

In Butcher's time I felt he was a permanent feature, but his style was not really to Hughes liking.

I feel Dundee is not the best club for him, ( I had a hunch he would surface in South Wales.)

He wouldn't fit in with Swansea's style of play......

I still see football as a bit of a tribal thing. You know, local lads playing with passion for their home-town team.

For this reason, and the fact that he's a competent enough player, I'm sorry to see him go.

There's few enough local lads in the team as it is.

Very sad to hear about Nick's departure, but I'm sure that this move will be a successful one for him, although I hope it's not at our expense. It will be good for him to broaden his horizons on and off the pitch, but I hope he comes back to us one day in the future. He has been a wonderful role model for local youngsters showing that dreams can come true with self belief and a good work ethic. I'll never forget his goal in the League Cup Semi Final, a real local hero. Thanks Nick and best of luck.

• Agree 3

Well Ross Tokley & Grant Munro found out loyalty didn't pay - so guess Nick is doing the right thing

for himself.

Remember of course how the team got on without Munro/Tokley - so guess we`ll get on without Ross / Shinnie.

But out of `em all ,missing Billy the most. 

Good luck to Nick. being honest, it took time for me to appreciate what a good player he was. But, i think he will go on to flourish and ICT might well regret letting him go.

I agree with caleyboy. Nick Ross didn't get as much game time as he'd want - if you've been a first team player that long, and you're not starting, you're bound to want to move. In the newspaper interview, it sounded as if that was what Paul Hartley offered to him, If that happens, it may well be a good move for him. It would be good to see him push on - although hopefully not when he's playing against us.

• Agree 1