Trialists

• Agree 1

Sounds like a promising player but we need a striker...it couldn't be more obvious! The only benefit I can see from this would be to put Mutumbo up front and have Ajala in support with Christie and another! 

Having been at all 3 home games and the game in Romania...I think Lopez's starting position has to be in question! For me, starting Sutherland either up front or on the wing is a must and drop Lopez! 

I hope Lopez makes me eat my words but this has to be the least convinced I've been about a new signing in a long time...or certainly one that has gone into the starting line up! 

Sounds like a promising player but we need a striker...it couldn't be more obvious! The only benefit I can see from this would be to put Mutumbo up front and have Ajala in support with Christie and another! 

Having been at all 3 home games and the game in Romania...I think Lopez's starting position has to be in question! For me, starting Sutherland either up front or on the wing is a must and drop Lopez! 

I hope Lopez makes me eat my words but this has to be the least convinced I've been about a new signing in a long time...or certainly one that has gone into the starting line up! 

Match fitness is only an excuse for his poor performance. The guy ain't got it.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

Found an interview here from when he signed for Cheltenham.  Notice at one point he says he can play 'up-front, in the hole or out wide'.  I've read somewhere that he can at right wing back as well.  Going from what his previous clubs have said about him, they do seem to speak fondly of him.  Seemingly his pace and work rate is really good. 

• Agree 1

Big fan of players with pace to burn. Something we don't have a lot of to be honest. Perhaps this lad could be another Hayes type player. I look forward to him signing for Aberdeen in 2017.

• Agree 2

We need pace and work rate over the need for a new striker as such IMHO as we're lacking penetration and the ability to stretch the opposition. And if he can play up front it will be interesting to see how the situation develops. 

Billy Mckay wasn't an out and out striker when he was signed and had a very mediocre goal record. However he was converted into a goal getter. Utilising his key attributes pace and work rate.  

As for Lopez, I haven't seen enough of him to see if he's really an out and out striker. Some have noted a poor work rate but the British mentality of running your socks off isn't always the best option. Intelligent movement. 

But work rate aside he's been starved of service. We're just not creating service and clear cut chances. And not creating chances makes strikers look isolated and poor. 

Seems Hughes views in the Scotsman compliment my thoughts. 

“We’ve got a boy, Toby Ajala, in on trial from Torquay, and what we’re looking for is someone who makes defenders take a step back, because they’re strong and quick. It will give us room to play. A lot of what we’re doing is in front of teams. We need to be more cutting and dynamic in the final third.

“Toby’s an out-and-out striker and looked sharp yesterday morning. He came and watched the Partick Thistle game and, hopefully, he might be the one"

Edited by iamthecaptain1
  • Agree 2

I take it Toby Ajala is still with us, perhaps even having an outing in the Dev. squad.

I very much agree we need pace up front , a runner/chaser who can create space and get the ball into the space he makes.

Lopez has now shown he can put the ball in the net ( a well taken one too) Mutombo is getting closer each match and Ryan's goal prowess is improving all the time. I would no longer be ' 'bovvered' ' about an out and out striker ( though one would also be welcome ) if these four can get their act together and terrify the opposition accordingly.

At least this one's an outright striker!  Has one or two years left on his contract but put in a transfer request in June when other Irish sides were sniffing around.  Then last week he had a trial with Morton.  But on Friday he withdrew his transfer request and committed himself to Portadown.  And now he's on trial with us.

http://www.portadowntimes.co.uk/sport/football/portadown-fc/murray-i-m-staying-with-the-ports-1-6904703

Edited by Yngwie

Murray is a decent player.  On a par with Joe Gormley who signed for Peterborough last month from Cliftonville for £100k. Certainly a much better prospect than Curtis Allen although I would have some serious reservations on his temperament.  He's been sent off a few times in the last couple of seasons for a couple of petulant acts and losing his head.

Rory MacAllister has scored four goals so far tonight for Peterhead against Falkirk, the last one a 40 yard strike.

Just saying :ohmy:

Come back Rory, all is forgiven. He has scored his fifth goal tonight.

:clapping:

• Agree 1

In two years time we'll be bemoaning the fact that Dani Lopez has scored a hat-trick for Bolton against Sunderland after leaving us the previous summer for a few hundred thousand pounds.

In two years time we'll be bemoaning the fact that Dani Lopez has scored a hat-trick for Bolton against Sunderland after leaving us the previous summer for a few hundred thousand pounds.

A few hundred thousand?? We should be so lucky! Bite your hand off now for that!

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1