Trialists

Thought we should have a thread for the heaps of random trialists we will inevitably have with us this pre-season.

First up is England C international Jordan Roberts:

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/inverness-caledonian-thistle/620349/caley-thistle-take-england-c-international-trial/

Edit: The P and J were reporting his name as Jason but it's actually Jordan.

Edited by Guest

Thank god it's not Jason Roberts, he's nearly 40! 

The guy Jordan that we have on trial looks very promising and he's only 21, I reckon with Yogi, Latapy and Scott Kellacher's coaching, we could have a good player on our hands. 

Would we need to pay for him under the Bosman ruling?

Don't think you need to pay under the Bosman ruling when the player's from a different country, could be wrong though. 

I think you're right with that one. I think in Scotland you have pay a development fee as I think Gavin Reilly just signed for Hearts the other day under the freedom in his contract but they have to pay QOTS a development free  

"JR is an attacking left sided player can play wide midfield or left back. On his day can be an exciting player and delivers a great cross. Can be inconsistent though and has a tendency to be petulant too- has been sent off a few times in his career. I think he is maturing though and is a decent prospect."

I got this info from a good source who used to work at Aldershot.  

• Agree 1

Looks like he's a strong runner, a bit of a tank, and predominantly left footed. Seems like he can play either side though and through the middle. Worth a look.

If a player is released without being offered a new deal then I don't think a fee needs paid either. As well as the whole cross country thing.

Guest Shaun

STV news said that we are "close to signing Roberts".

If thats the case then he must really have impressed in training.

Tbh, I reckon we will see him v Clach as he'll get some game time methinks.

Or it could just be sloppy journalism....

Hope the weather is a bit better for tomorrow's game it's miserable out there just now thought this was Summer football time of year  looking forward to seeing a few trialists hopefully one or two first teamers and hopefully maybe Calum Ferguson etc 

Hope the weather is a bit better for tomorrow's game it's miserable out there just now thought this was Summer football time of year  looking forward to seeing a few trialists hopefully one or two first teamers and hopefully maybe Calum Ferguson etc 

Would that be the same Calum Ferguson, born and brought up in Inverness, and a product of our youth system, who Mr Grey and SFA sees as a non Scots product because he qualifies for Canada?

• Agree 2

Or it could just be sloppy journalism....

Metro is also saying he is about to sign

When you read what Yogi has actually said and ignore the "spin" attached by the reporters, then I don't see any problem....nor do I see him say he was unhappy.

Yogi has a different way of working when it comes to recruitment and he thinks there's a better way of doing something at the club. So, he'll sit down with the Chairman to discuss it and look at alternative methods. Sounds like a perfectly rational way for a manager and chairman to go about things.

• Agree 2

When you read what Yogi has actually said and ignore the "spin" attached by the reporters, then I don't see any problem....nor do I see him say he was unhappy.

Yogi has a different way of working when it comes to recruitment and he thinks there's a better way of doing something at the club. So, he'll sit down with the Chairman to discuss it and look at alternative methods. Sounds like a perfectly rational way for a manager and chairman to go about things.

makes sense to me there's always going to be progression 

Absolutely.  It's encouraging to see that, despite last season's success, Yogi continues to look at ways to take the club forward.

It's also good that he has an appreciation for the financial situation and, instead of just going with his hand out wanting more, he is willing to accommodate change within the budgets set.

I know this thread is about trialists however I came across in the daily express saying that Danny Handling and Sam Stanton of Hibs are both free to look for new clubs, definitely worth a look as they could be useful additions. 

Edited by ICTRoughi