Women's world cup

DoofersDad

Well, the Women's World Cup is over and we haven't had a thread for it on our football forum.  That's a shame, so let me belatedly put it to rights.  It is a shame that there is not a higher profile for the women's game because it can be pretty entertaining.  There seems to me no reason why women should not be equally able to develop good ball skills or be able to spot a good ball and I am sure as the profile of the game increases and more young girls are inspired to take up the game, even more players with even better skills will emerge.

The world cup has produced some really good moments and good goals as illustrated in the link below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33398720

Where the game does have a significant difference to the men's game is the relative size of the keepers to the goals.  A theme that comes through in the compilation is that when a shot is well placed, the keepers lack both the height and the leaping power to reach the ball.  This should, in theory, increase the chances of a shot at goal being successful and therefore should encourage attempts at goal.  The smaller stature of the women keepers must be equivalent to increasing the size of the goal in the men's game by about 15cm all round.

Another difference has been significantly less foul play and gamesmanship (cheating) than we see in the men's game.    And without getting into the England v Scotland thing, England's success in  coming 3rd must be good for raising the profile of the women's game throughout the UK.  The Women's World Cup has been a breath of fresh air and I look forward to seeing the game continuing to develop.

• Agree 3

Agree that England's success was entirely a good thing and will, without doubt, raise the profile of the women's game in England. I doubt very much if England's success will do anything to raise the profile and promote the game north of the border.

For that to happen, Scotland will have to achieve some high profile success of their own.

Credit, however, to the BBC for giving England women good free to air coverage.

The only game I did saw was the highlights of England's QF against Canada. It was played to a crowd of 50,000 in Vancouver. Although the game was quite good (this was the highlights!) the thing that struck me was the lack of atmosphere within the crowd. No singing or chanting and even when the hosts got a goal back there didn't seem to be any further support. 

The only game I did saw was the highlights of England's QF against Canada. It was played to a crowd of 50,000 in Vancouver. Although the game was quite good (this was the highlights!) the thing that struck me was the lack of atmosphere within the crowd. No singing or chanting and even when the hosts got a goal back there didn't seem to be any further support. 

Its Vancouver !!! nuff said !

I was in our TFC supporters bar in Toronto for this one as the kickoff was about 30 minutes after the TFC game finished and the place went nuts when Canada scored. 

Crowds have been very large. The final was played in Vancouver before 54,000, generally very loud and noisy  fans and the overall attendance for the tournament was outstanding.

Japan were not that bad actuellement. Their ball control and footwork was nifty but the U S scored  , and scored, and scored and within a short space of time it was a foregone conclusion. Being so close to the Border with the U.S.,  the crowd was largely American as far as I could see and the weather was absolutely fantastic. The problem is now that the weather continues to be fantastic and in B.C. alone we have about 180 forest fires ravaging the Province and, with no sign of rain yet on the horizon, we are being blanketed with smoke. The average temperature here in this region is way up there  and wavers between 36 degrees some 300 K North of us and our recent temperatures have been in the top 80's.

Thank goodness the World Cup is over since playing in these conditions must have been very difficult for the players.