Development League info. (2015/16)

Sneckboy

I'm of the opinion that the inclusion of first team players does more to hinder positive results than help as you can't gain any consistency with an ever changing squad.....as can be seen by what's happened with our first team this season.

Hamilton have a very young squad, but they are a squad that's been playing together all season with very few first team players being supplanted into the team.  The benefits of that can be seen when you watch them play, both in individual performances and as a team.

It is a bit of a catch 22...especially when you have a season like ours with lots of injuries and need to get players games to regain fitness etc.  Also, the fact that we had a squad of 25 this season when we normally run with a squad of 18 means there's more demand for general game time to maintain some match sharpness.

So....all things considered, yeah....a 3-3 against Hamilton with 5 first team players in there (or not) is a decent result.  The fact that, despite the additional upheaval, we've improved across the board means there are still plenty positives to be taken from the season as well.

• Agree 2

I was there :smile: Impressed with Sutherland, Horner and MacRae.  I think the latter has the potential to be good player for us.  His fast, direct, tricky style reminds me of Ryan Christie.  This Gilchrist at centre-back also looks composed in terms of playing the ball out from defence.  Jordan Roberts strolled through the game and looked, in terms of ability, miles better than everyone else.  Why he's not in the matchday squad is incredible! 

I won't be surprised to see Liam Hughes released at the end of the season.  He was just anonymous throughout and the only incident of note was a tackle where he was lucky to stay on the park.

No sign of Yogi there by the way, which I felt was strange.  Brian Rice was there though.

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Renegade said:

I was there :smile: Impressed with Sutherland, Horner and MacRae.  I think the latter has the potential to be good player for us.  His fast, direct, tricky style reminds me of Ryan Christie.  This Gilchrist at centre-back also looks composed in terms of playing the ball out from defence.  Jordan Roberts strolled through the game and looked, in terms of ability, miles better than everyone else.  Why he's not in the matchday squad is incredible! 

I won't be surprised to see Liam Hughes released at the end of the season.  He was just anonymous throughout and the only incident of note was a tackle where he was lucky to stay on the park.

No sign of Yogi there by the way, which I felt was strange.  Brian Rice was there though.

Good to hear of some potential cos we have no option but to groom our own.

What I thought was quite interesting was the way the Accies side worked managerially.  Beuzelin, who is the club assistant manager, was in the dugout while their manager, Canning, played himself.  I believe Alex Neil also used to play himself in these fixtures often (I recollect seeing him in the dugout for an U20 game at the Caley Stadium before he went off to Norwich).  It's a good idea if you're in that position, the manager plays himself and talks the rest of the team through the game.  If you've got a player/manager it seems like a really clever idea, especially for players so young.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 2