Development League info. (2015/16)

Sneckboy

This resumes on 4th August. The same 17 clubs are competing. We endured a dreadful campaign last season, finishing last! Hopefully, a year on, our youths can perform better, as I understand last season much of our team were boys who'd just come 'up' from the U17s.

A couple of pre-season games soon - the first-team have St Mirren on Saturday while the 'U20s' head to Lossiemouth the same afternoon.
Similarly, the following Saturday Inverness CT have a 'double header' with games at Nairn and Wick, with presumably the youths heading to Caithness.

I know it's not nice to see the team at the bottom of the league but let's not forget that the whole idea is player development and game time for squad members. IMO if one youngster gets a first team contract then that's success.

• Agree 1

We are quite fortunate in that we have our own local "development league". It's called the SHFL and there are 6 teams in it that are an hour or less from Inverness. A good young player playing a season long loan in the SHFL will learn a hell of a lot more than a few games against central belt yoofs.

From what I saw against Lossie there are probably 3 of our development squad that could be loaned out right now and do well in the SHFL. For me this is the way to go to develop our best young players.

• Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...

This actually starts today, but we don't play until Wednesday. Hamilton Accies away at New Douglas Park (3pm).
Given our injury situation, and Hamilton's artificial surface, It's likely our team will consist of entirely the young guys!

We are quite fortunate in that we have our own local "development league". It's called the SHFL and there are 6 teams in it that are an hour or less from Inverness. A good young player playing a season long loan in the SHFL will learn a hell of a lot more than a few games against central belt yoofs.

From what I saw against Lossie there are probably 3 of our development squad that could be loaned out right now and do well in the SHFL. For me this is the way to go to develop our best young players.

Absobleedinglutely. Graeme Shinnie being the prime example of this. After his short 3-4 month loan to Forres in 2010 he came back a much improved player ready for his breakthrough season and since then he hasn't looked back.

• Agree 1

I'd agree with this. I might be on record as having said some less than kind words of the standard of HL in the past (which I have no wish to get involved in again) but an 18 year old will learn a hell of a lot more playing against (and with) adults who are working for a living. 

It doesn't need to be a full season. Half would be ideal. Perhaps sending a few from the development squad out in January who are ready for a bit of lower level senior football. Where they don't take passengers too kindly.  

I'd agree with this. I might be on record as having said some less than kind words of the standard of HL in the past (which I have no wish to get involved in again) but an 18 year old will learn a hell of a lot more playing against (and with) adults who are working for a living. 

It doesn't need to be a full season. Half would be ideal. Perhaps sending a few from the development squad out in January who are ready for a bit of lower level senior football. Where they don't take passengers too kindly.  

(I know you don't want to get involved but i feel like I have to stick up for the league having previously worked as a reporter for it) I don't think you can really question the quality in the Highland League when the likes of Richie Brittain, Grant Munro, Ross Tokely, Gavin Morrison, Conor Gethins, Stuart Kettlewell, Paul Lawson, Garry Wood, Iain Vigurs (albeit on trial until he finds a club), Stuat Duff, Roy McBain, etc etc are all playing in it. Coming up against these, and other ex-pros, will do a lot more for the development of a young player than playing against other teenagers.

(I know you don't want to get involved but i feel like I have to stick up for the league having previously worked as a reporter for it) I don't think you can really question the quality in the Highland League when the likes of Richie Brittain, Grant Munro, Ross Tokely, Gavin Morrison, Conor Gethins, Stuart Kettlewell, Paul Lawson, Garry Wood, Iain Vigurs (albeit on trial until he finds a club), Stuat Duff, Roy McBain, etc etc are all playing in it. Coming up against these, and other ex-pros, will do a lot more for the development of a young player than playing against other teenagers.

Most of the players you listed are playing at that level as they are not really good enough any more. (Though I'm surprised Vigurs is around there, he could surely get a game in the Scottish championship at least)

However technique aside, with the likes of Tokely, Munro, McBain, Brittain having "been there, and done that", they have a wealth of experience to pass on, even if they might not have the legs. The younger guys too have come through the system and would be able to help them avoid any of the pitfalls that can see a promising youth not life up to his talent.
Indeed I think you would learn more coming up against seasoned ex full time pros that other trainees.

Most of the players you listed are playing at that level as they are not really good enough any more. (Though I'm surprised Vigurs is around there, he could surely get a game in the Scottish championship at least)

However technique aside, with the likes of Tokely, Munro, McBain, Brittain having "been there, and done that", they have a wealth of experience to pass on, even if they might not have the legs. The younger guys too have come through the system and would be able to help them avoid any of the pitfalls that can see a promising youth not life up to his talent.
Indeed I think you would learn more coming up against seasoned ex full time pros that other trainees.

Not a bad line up for a 'pub league'....

Ok maybe we could change that to knackers yard league then?

Though I would see that as disrespectful to ICT club legends.

We'll just tell the kids they went to live on a farm in the countryside. Spare them the truth...

No Development League game today - but we have a game up in Caithness against Halkirk United in the quarter-finals of the North of Scotland cup. (7.30pm).
It doesn't have to be the youngsters that play, but with our injury situation and a game against Partick tomorrow, I doubt there will be any first team players involved.

No Development League game today - but we have a game up in Caithness against Halkirk United in the quarter-finals of the North of Scotland cup. (7.30pm).
It doesn't have to be the youngsters that play, but with our injury situation and a game against Partick tomorrow, I doubt there will be any first team players involved.

We'll probably play our U-17s at Halkirk. 

Not long home from the game and can comfirm we won 3-2 and calum did grab a couple of goals and looked hungry for a lot more as well

Hope yogi bloods him in first team a lot this season cause he looks like the striker we're in dire need of

I know it was against an amatuer team, but some good football was played and good to see big dunc trying to put yogi's passing game into the youth team

Looks like a couple of them could go on to be future shinnie/christie's

Jason Brown looks like he could be a good stand in for gaz or his natural replacement. Did well at controlling the game from the back and was very vocal at organising the team when halkirk tried to mount attacks

Both halkirk goals game from set peices, deflection from a free kick and a penalty. Where as 2 of where from open play, Both calum's were headers, one from a corner and over from a cross, not sure who scored out 2nd but it did go in off the post

• Agree 6