Who all dowloaded Windows 10? Thoughts?

SMEE

So, Windows 10 is out today. Free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8 users. I got it and using it as i type. Everything seems to work fine and internet definatley runs faster. Anyone got any thoughts on it?

Was thinking about it but read they were still making changes to it right up to deadline. Not being a computer literate person would just leave it as I am happy enough  with my windows 7.  10 will come when I buy new laptop or upgrade my tower - probably by then it will have moved on even further:lol:

will be updating my (Windows8) tablet, laptop and desktop machines ... not sure about the other laptop (Win7). will let you know what I think.  

Asked for advice on this myself.

Seems to be a trial version out at the moment to allow the public to work out the bugs for them. I'm leaving it for  later--no rush.

Maybe next year I might also get rid of my current Tower which I had built and rued the day!!

And buy a new computer form a reputable manufacturer. One recommendation I got from a techie was...." Hewlett Packard is the best".

Comments?

Asked for advice on this myself. Seems to be a trial version out at the moment to allow the public to work out the bugs for them. I'm leaving it for  later--no rush. 

No, its not a trial. The trial was ongoing for about the last year or more. This is the full release of the "final" retail product. its available free for the next 12 months for all users of Vista, Win7 or Win8. 

Having said that, unless you are an 'early adopter', adept at resolving niggling bugs and issues, or you are running Windows 8 on a desktop machine rather than a touchscreen or tablet then its probably best to wait until at least service pack 1 (or 2).  

Maybe next year I might also get rid of my current Tower which I had built and rued the day!! And buy a new computer form a reputable manufacturer. One recommendation I got from a techie was...." Hewlett Packard is the best". Comments?

I pretty much always buy my machines 'off the shelf'. Cant remember the last time I actually sourced the components and built one for myself. HP are one of the few makes I will buy. I have a Surface Pro 2 tablet, but my 2 laptops and my desktop are all HP. Our company also uses HP for all our hardware requirements. no hesitation in recommending them !

So - I did upgrade my tablet to Windows 10 today (not done laptops or desktop yet) ..... first impressions were positive. The new browser looks good (fast). Cortana does not work in Canada (yet) but you can set your location in settings to USA and it does work then. I like the fact that I can work in desktop mode or I can swipe in from the right and change to tablet/touch mode.I also like the overall feel. There were no issues with the upgrade which ran very smoothly and was a lot quicker than previous upgrades of windows. Overall I was pleasantly surprised.   

But it only took a few minutes to run into a few annoying or downright stupid things ! First and foremost I use OneDrive a LOT for sharing, syncing, and storing my personal photos as well as the business version for work documents etc. They have removed the 'placeholder' function that allows you to specify what folders or even individual files are available offline/online. you now have to sync entire folders ... a backward step. Seems there are a lot of people up in arms about it so it may return, but it shouldn't have been removed in the first place. All my homegroup settings to sync between the aforementioned laptops and desktop are also gone so thats going to be a little extra work and of course I had to go rooting around for twitter and email passwords for various accounts as all the logins for these got blown away even if the accounts themselves were still in the various apps .... also, when using the tablet mode it is clear the design of the screen is so it can work with a phone .... there is a huge gap between the first set of 3 column tiles then the next set .....   

Im not particularly good on a pc but I really like version 10, I had 8 previously and have a touchscreen Dell Inspiron laptop, the speed of opening of the pc is a lot faster for me and it switches between programmes etc much quicker, I could only get 43mbps on my infinity previously now speeds have gone up to 68mbps I got used to the apps etc in previous reincarnation of windows though some moving up from 7 might find that confusing as my wife certainly does.

Im not sure the infinity speed has anything to do with windows it may just be coincidence

Edited by jagster

Interesting you mention internet speed jagster, for, before, i was getting about 14meg on my normal broadband. I did a speed test this morn, i was getting 19.89meg...which is pretty darn pleasing :)
I been using windows 10 for over a week now, and its running smoothly. i have noticed that things like Libre Office and such like, now open in a fraction of the time it did on Windows 8.1

Aside from the OneDrive issues I mentioned (which I am confident will get fixed in a future service pack), and the homegroup stuff which I have yet to reset it seems pretty good, especially on my non-touchscreen laptops and my desktop machine. Have not seen any noticeable internet speed differences but my connection before was pretty good anyway. 

I have noticed my battery life has been affected since installing windows 10. But i looked into the matter and have taken steps to improve things. In the name of science, i decided to time the battery life after making the changes. As i type, My battery is at 39% after 1hr 50mins of use. On windows 8.1, i was getting over 4 hours battery life, despite the laptop being about 2 yrs old now

My wife had windows 7 and she updated ok. On the little get windows logo she right clicked and chose check update status and the screen said she could update and it worked ok for her. It was a week after mine before she got the message

HTH 

There you go. The Windows 7 basic is the one that  appears to be excluded from the Windows Update route, not windows Home Premium.

There's a wee Icon on the taskbar at the bottom of the desktop screen where the "get Windows 10" bar is waiting for you to click it. I did and my unit is compatible. 

Thanks Guys!

Has anyone got Cortana working mine is greyed out and a check online says it's a common problem. I've done all the recommendations location on. English language pack installed etc but it keeps saying it's not available in our region yet MS say UK is available

jagster....apparently Cortana is a drain on power, so if you use a laptop on battery often, might be a blessing that it dont work :)

Edited by SMEE
  • Agree 1

Jagster - I had a similar issue with Cortana in Canada ... my issue ended up being language related. I had all the right packs etc but my system language and keyboard language did not match my location set in the settings ... it was a mixture of English (Canada), English (USA) with a location of Canada. I set everything to USA for now and it works .... 

Edited by Scotty
  • Agree 1

Both the system language and keyboard language are English (UK) I can just ask Mr Google he seems to know everything 

is location also set as UK ? (I would assume so) ... if so, then I am out of answers

http://www.howtogeek.com/223259/how-to-enable-cortana-anywhere-in-the-world-on-windows-10/

I managed to get it working, it was the speech setting as english Us instead of English UK, we had a laugh at the weekend she couldnt understand a lot of what I said, at one point she told me not to speak to her and switch it off, bad enough the mrs telling me what to do without my laptop doing the same :cry:

• 2 weeks later...

Alex - just type the first few letters of what you are looking for into the search bar at the bottom and it will bring up a list of things ... apps or programs on your machine first then stuff on the web or from your contacts etc. 

My biggest hassle with W10 is still Onedrive. Got my personal onedrive working as (they) intended but the business one just wont connect properly.  gave up on it. likely a fix somewhere down the line. 

• 4 months later...

Decided to dump my 4 year old computer due to constant problems and slow delivery etc. So I bought a HP desktop running windows 10 a week ago from Staples and although I am only now beginning to find things, that I could formerly find at the drop of a hat when I was running Windows 7, I am still unnerved by the  difficulties in finding things. How do I find the Control Panel I cried--no answer, and where is the programmes list that used to be available with a click on the left side of the  computer just above the start menu-no answer.

So I clicked on start and when the left hand list came up (apps and stuff) I clicked on "control panel", both right and left clicks, and got nowhere. The  shortcuts I had placed on my desktop now go nowhere and they appear to be empty. "My documents"  were a nightmare to find until I spotted a wee figurine of a desktop computer on the right side of the desktop taskbar, clicked on it and I found a complete list of almost everything. Then I just selected Control Panel, or My Documents,  etc.,  from the long list presented  and you can find to your great relief that all the docs are still there. Then, if you the click the "Create shortcut" tab offered to you then you may find that, yes, a shortcut will be placed on your desktop as requested but it also won't open to anywhere when you click it ,either right or left clicks.  Also, if you do the same with the  Control Panel heading selected from the long list, you will get the same result. So, clearly, I have to make enquiries locally and solve this poor situation unless I can get an answer from one of you lads.

Another disturbing thing for me is to find that if I create shortcuts in certain places on the desktop, then they invariably move into a clump on the left side quickly afterwards and always if I close down the computer, even if I try all the "Arrange Icons" configurations revealed by the "view"  route by right clicking on the desktop. Any ideas please ?

Thirdly, the IE windows invariably are likely to open in a very minimised box mode but will rarely stay in the maximised mode after I change them and shut down the computer. Sometimes they do, but mostly not and I  find the next time I browse, there they are again.

Now I have another question...why won't the recycle bin show me the contents ( I know there should be some in there because I've just deleted them) when I select open from the bin options to see what is in there before actually deleting? The button "open" just will not work. And one very irritating issue here is that website windows will just disappear without any reason --then your only option is usually to find a way to sign-off or shut down the computer and restart the whole caboodle again. Daunting and very annoying  when it happens.

So I'm getting there but I am going to have to seek advice and struggle more before I will feel comfortable. Thankful that I only really need a browser, email and anti-virus and some storage space for valuable documents, photos, etc.

Would I have switched from Windows 7, which was  much simpler and easier to navigate and not as overblown as Windows 10, knowing what I do now? In the latter case ("10") every time you think you have got there you find you have to scan more lists of stuff and make more selections. They seem to be trying to give all things to all men right now in  order to convince  people to buy I suppose. So, for me, the answer is "maybe not at this stage". The techie who has been helping me says he is going to wait until they have worked out the bugs and so does my son who is a smart guy with computers and that sounds like good advice if you can live with your "out of date" computer. But, for sure, if you buy a new one then you are more or less going to have to accept "10", and get on with it  because you need to go forward. 

The HP  deal comes with a Mouse -which is a bit slow in starting to scroll and a Keyboard.

I've ditched the keyboard already in favor of my last one, a Logitech L120, which has writing on it. The other one (HP) doesn't so, unless you have used  a modern keyboard recently, then you have to gingerly find your way around it without any directions whatsoever. It offers three arrows pointing West but all that  you want is one marked "Enter"  like a standard keyboard to allow you to move down one line of type. And all I could find was double spacing instead of the standard single spacing for typing and none of these three arrows addresses this common-sense  requirement. It is so difficult for me to fathom it out and even see (small letters--no writing, and with smaller keys jammed together) and I do  think it is quite ridiculous altogether. It looks to me that H.P's keyboard is for a modernwhizkid, not a guy with vision impairment for sure. The K120 keyboard is  very neat and has reasonable speces between letters so that I can get up a fairly good gallop with a little help from my friend Mr. Spellchecker. 

Any uplifting comments will be gratefully received in Noddyland  as soon as possible! :wave::wave:

• 1 month later...

Now I am getting  results but went through a 3 week period of utter misery , stress and 5 crashes before my tech friend, also at his wit's end to know what to do,  finally decided to open the back of the new computer and have a good look. Lo and beho, we  find a loose connection to the bios where the usb wire was almost falling out. Once it was pressed  in firmly all started to go well as it should  and the problems have been resolved.I do use IE11  with Google as the search engine. However, although the web pages pop up quickly enough ,they fail to display contents  until at least 4-5 seconds afterwards, which is irritating.

Scotty, you seem to favour EDGE so did you find using IE11 was not the best browser to use with W.10?

I have two banks that I use so need to access the accounts frequently. But if you go to Tools/ Internet options and open the Security Tab you will see at the very bottom the added security instruction to tick the box named "ENABLE PROTECTED MODE". My technician friend strongly recommends that this box be ticked except that when I browse to one of the Banks I have no difficulty with gaining access but I  can't open the other bank's website until I de-click that wee box.. He recommends that I talk to the bank which I am unable to access and I intend to do that but it's a big national entity  so you would think that they would already have all their security protocols in place wouldn't you?  He also suggests that within 2-3 weeks it is a strong possibility that Microsoft will have  updated the Windows 10 programme again and this problem will disappear by itself.                                   Any input on this?

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

The Edge browser comes with Windows 10 so I use it on the odd occasion. I find it far better than any previous version of IE.   However, despite having Edge and Firefox installed, my browser of choice is still Chrome. I have the least issues with it overall.