Team for Motherwell

ICTRoughi

New season nearly upon us with a good opening home tie against Motherwell. What do you think the line up should be on Saturday? 

I'd go with:  4-1-4-1

Fon Williams 

Raven Warren Meekings William

Wedderburn

Doran    Tansey   Christie   Roberts

Lopez       

Edited by ICTRoughi

Both choices look good, but dont think Roberts will be fit from what i hear, hopefully he will make it though!

Leaving Draper out aint a bad idea, he's been a wee bit shakey. 

After the past three seasons it seems crazy that Draper isn't in anyone's team to start this season's first league game but after what I saw in the Astra games I'd have to agree - I'd be picking Wedderburn ahead of him as well so I'll go with:

Fon Williams

Raven Meekings Warren Tremarco*

Wedderburn Tansey

Doran Christie Williams

Lopez

If Tremarco isn't fit, Williams at left back with one of Vincent, Roberts or Foran replacing him

Wow - I'm astonished by the absence of Draper in all these suggestions. I haven't seen Wedderburn yet and I understand that Draper was poor in the home game against Astra, but he was a rock last season and one poor game shouldn't condemn him to the bench. I'm for:

Fon Williams

Raven Meekings Warren Williams

Christie Draper Tansey Doran

Foran Lopez

If Roberts is fit, I'd play Draper and Tansey holding and have Foran on the bench, with Doran and Roberts wide. Whatever way you look at it, there's a lack of balance in the squad at the moment.

Esson

Raven Meekings Warren Williams

Tansey Draper

Doran Christie Roberts

Lopez

Thats our strongest team for me, although I suspect that Yogi will put Fon Williams in goal for some unknown reason and ict247 probably has the most likely line-up

Wow - I'm astonished by the absence of Draper in all these suggestions. 

Based on the two games versus Astra, Wedderburn was much more influential to the team than Draper was and for that reason I think it would be harsh on Nat to be on the sidelines on Saturday. I also think Draper and Wedderburn are very similar players so it's better to player one or the other and not both IMO. 

When Draper did come against Astra in the away tie, he looked very sharp, and very committed. Unfortunately he didn't have enough time. But he has been a great player for us and it is silly to write him off on the strength of one pre-season game. Wedderburn looks handy but it is too early to tell.

When Draper did come against Astra in the away tie, he looked very sharp, and very committed. Unfortunately he didn't have enough time. But he has been a great player for us and it is silly to write him off on the strength of one pre-season game. Wedderburn looks handy but it is too early to tell.

...on that basis, I say play your trusted servant and make the new boy prove himself worth the place. There is nothing wrong with strong competition for places and if Wedderburn proves himself to be better than Draper, then he should get the nod in the long run.

Yogi seems like quite a fair manager to me, if players come in and do well they keep their place. Wedderburn was very good over in Romania, so it would be harsh to drop him.

Thinking a little outside the box, I wonder why big Drapes has been pigeon holed as a holding midfielder. I've always thought he did a lot of good work in the final third, and always poses an attacking threat. Now that we have another good holding midfielder, perhaps we could consider pushing Drapes further forward?

• Agree 1

Was Draper really that poor against Astra in the first league? Aside from giving away the free kick from which they scored from what else did he do wrong?

His distribution was terrible. 

He was arguably Astras best player, even if you ignore his assist for the goal. 

Certainly wouldn't pick him over Wedderburn on the basis of the Astra games. Thought Wedderburn looked pretty solid in all senses. 

I think the team I'll go with is -

Esson*

Raven - Meekings - Warren - Williams

Draper - Tansey - Wedderburn

Doran      -    Lopez   - Christie

* I think Fon Williams will start.

I'd play Williams at left wing back thus allowing Christie to tuck in and directly support Lopez. Doran would be a more orthadox winger. Wedderburn and Draper filling gaps for full backs forward runs. Tansey pulling strings.

• Agree 1

Always more difficult to pick a team at the start of the season. It is not about performances. It is all about fitness and that judgement can only take place at training. We have a few who appear to be struggling pre season. I suspect Draper is an annual struggler !!  Can see the logic in playing Lopez but not Mutumbo. Latter is on the bench as will be Draper and Foran. Will be interesting to see where he plays Williams but again I suspect that will be at the back as he has to get used to playing there. Tremarco is a mere back-up now. So it is Doran, Christie and A.N.Other or will he dare play three holding midfielders ? I think that he will.

I thought Williams played really well at Astra. He was consistently winning the ball and looking to create chances. Of course his finest moment was that perfectly placed across the box, which Lopez should have been anticipating and already running on to, instead of waiting and watching. All it needed was  a touch and it was in the back of the net. That was very frustrating to watch, as we could all see it coming. If he hadn't have done anything else in that match that was the one moment when he needed to. What also surprised me was how good Raven was at left back, so knowing Hughes penchant for mixing it up, it wouldn't surprise me to see that again. 

• Agree 1

From what I hear the team will pick itself due to a number of injuries to key players . Don't be surprised if we do not have a full bench tomorrow - hope my source has got it wrong! 

From what I hear the team will pick itself due to a number of injuries to key players . Don't be surprised if we do not have a full bench tomorrow - hope my source has got it wrong! 

On the BBC pre match article for the game it has Jordan Roberts as struggling with injury. It also says that Carl Tremarco and James Vincent are doubts.