Realistic expectations for this year??

Eagle4Caley

Celtic and Aberdeen will be above us, the rest we'll find out at the end. But I've said it all along to whoever I speak to is that I trust Hughes and so far he has proved me right to. That said I don't think we'll win a trophy but anyone can win them and a European place will be difficult to achieve. But we've proved ourselves against a team that has european experience and money....and not scoring maybe wasn't down to us being poor going forward it could well have been that they were solid at the back . And on top of that I certainly can't see 6 teams stronger than ours in the league either! 

I still do not rate Aberdeen as a Team....a really good squad of individuals but not a Team....They were very fortunate to get second place .....but for one poor spell that we had, we could have taken second spot.....I like the way our team is building....a good poacher required  then we will be the ones pushing  the Millionaires

I feel this will be the year of the Highlanders with our neighbours clinching a top six too.

• Agree 1

Hard to judge until we get to see the others. A few teams have splashed the cash this summer, most notably Dundee (will they ever learn?) and County. So you would expect the league to be more competitive this year. But if Scottish football has taught us anything recently, it's that bigger budgets don't necessarily translate into a better team on the park, sometimes you end up with a squad of duds on lucrative contracts who you can't get rid of. Think Sevco, or Aberdeen under Craig Brown. 

Edited by AlexJones

Accept 10th. Expect better. Hope top 6. Dream the rest. Were still not firing on all cylinders but have just closely lost out in pre-season europa. And I think an injury free Carl tremarco could have a big season for us.

• Agree 1

I will be at the Motherwell match with great anticipation, Motherwell after their fantastic escape at the end of last season ( 6 1 win in the playoffs); will be a huge challenge, if Inverness win then it will be a useful yardstick to judge the season by.  In some ways I am going into this season happier in my thoughts than  at the beginning of last season. I was amazed the team started so well with the win at Hamilton.  If we can get off to a winning start again  it will be a huge boost to the confidence not only of the team , but the staff and the fans as well. True we can look at the team and say we need this or we need that, but somehow I have a feeling we will be there or thereabouts just like last year.

I still do not rate Aberdeen as a Team....a really good squad of individuals but not a Team....They were very fortunate to get second place .....but for one poor spell that we had, we could have taken second spot.....I like the way our team is building....a good poacher required  then we will be the ones pushing  the Millionaires

I feel this will be the year of the Highlanders with our neighbours clinching a top six too.

Aberdeen beat us for second place by ten points, had a much better goal difference and beat us four games out of four last season. Since then they have acquired our best player.

I know you see things through heavily tinted red and blue spectacles but Aberdeen are likely to fare better than us this season which is not surprising since their turnover is twice ours. If anyone is going to challenge Celtic it will be the Dons.

I admire your optimism but, in suggesting that we will be in second place, you seem to be the only poster on this thread with unrealistic expectations.

As I said in my previous post, top six would be a fine achievement given our resources and the key players we have lost. Last season was remarkable and a great credit to all concerned but there were factors in our favour which are unlikely to be repeated and to suggest that we might be pushing Celtic for the title this year on the strength of it puts places an unreasonable burden of expectation on manager and players alike.

If this time next season we are still in the Premiership the club will have achieved success and the majority of fans will be content.

• Agree 2

I dislike Aberdeen probably more than anyone on here having lived there for so long but even I can't bring myself to deny the fact that they have an excellent squad of players and a superb starting XI now. The Dons thoroughly deserved second spot last season. Our one poor spell was basically three months without a win in the league - there is no way you can expect to secure second spot with that kind of form. Their team is excellent and they showed that on plenty of occasions last season - their long unbeaten run, often coming from behind to win games something previous Aberdeen sides hadn't been doing, winning games despite not playing well etc. Aberdeen appear to have improved on what they achieved last season with some of their signings and some strong showings in Europe whereas we have lost some of our best players and it can be argued that they've not really been replaced though time will tell on that one.

I'm away to wash my hands. I feel dirty after typing up a positive post on Aberdeen.

Edited by RiG
  • Agree 5

I hope everyone tries their best and that they all enjoy themselves.

And a Macaroni Pie. I'd like one of them this season.

Get yourself along to Ashers prior to going down the Dump. One word...............EPIC!!!:wink:

Ah Kingsmills your glass is so unfilled, it is such a shame,  you must be missing out in a lot of pleasurable moments but don't get too upset, age, with a little bit of luck, may change your perception of life and our aspiring Team...............I hope so for your sake.

As Alex says It is very hard to judge until such times as we see just what the other teams have to offer this and he is right the signs are that it will be a much more competitive league this season. However knowing the usual negative comments would be coming in from the 'few' I thought I would put in a positive, though not an entirely unrealistic comment at this stage of the season. given as Rig points out we had such a long unproductive spell last season.

Do you really think that I am pressurising  the players and the manager, lol   with what I have said. I am sure their personalities are much stronger than you imagine but thanks for the compliment I am surprised you think my words would have that much sway.

Incidentally with my eyesight, I am afraid most times my glasses are pretty dark, it is only my attitude that is bright and realistic.

Enjoy the season.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

3 games played, not looked like scoring. 

We should have done our best not to finish 3rd. So often a jinx position . So often the team finishing there having a woeful following season. (I think Aberdeen are one of the few exceptions). 

Reckon an earlier league start is the only way forward to help teams with early euro qualifiers. It always seems to be a hinderance on the league campaign. 

I'd be happy with mid table and getting the lads who are out of contract next summer tied up on new deals. 

I must say that I have some trepidation that our squad is even more threadbare than last year, where we started with one recognised striker in Mckay, sold him, soldiered on for most of the spring with Watkins chipping in with goals, and Ofere finally getting chances and despite being a lump, scoring a decent number of important goals. However both Watkins and Ofere have gone, replaced by what? Too soon to rate Lopez I guess, and Foran is back (sort of) and if he can get match fit over the season, might be a useful contributor still. I hear we may have Mutombo signed by the weekend, although I'm not clear if he is actually a striker. Somehow I feel much will depend on whether Doran kicks on, whether Christie can maintain and improve on his achievement last season, and if Williams steps up fully to replace the influence Watkins had on games.

Defence will rely alot on Meekings, Warren and Devine staying fit...although it's frightening to think how exposed we would be if we lost two of those three for any length of time

I'm sure I sound a bit pessimistic which is unlike me, the upside is looking at what other teams have done in the transfer window, which is pretty uninspiring, but shows how little money is in the SPL.

So I think Yogi is going to really earn his money this year, and a 6 game August looks like a crucial period for us.....if Yogi feels we punched above our weight last season, which is probably true then this season we may be in for a hard slog..... I hope people realise that a repeat of last season's finish is unlikely and come the end of the season we might be 'celebrating' being top of the bottom half (oops I've said it now)

Blimey my concern for the defence has come much sooner than I expected with Warren getting injured and out seemingly for some time, and Meekings having a bad enough knock to be subbed for the second half with Warren already off

Injuries are already at crisis level with Doran out (how come?) Foran starting to look an unlikely contributor, no sign of Roberts, and Tremarco out (for how long?)...to start the first game of the season with a subs bench short of numbers is very worrying

Of the new guys, Lopez does not appear to be giving much cause for optimism, Wedderburn off very early yesterday (for tactical reasons?) but heard some decent reports. Mutumbo only on for an hour so too early to judge although it sounds like he was an improvement

This looks like a season where we are going to be caught out for having a threadbare squad, and a failure to invest in true strikers with any quality about them...if ever a large influx in the playing squad were needed it is now, but I think this is unlikely to happen.....it occurs to me that with the difference in TV money between SPL and championship not that great, it doesn't justify the cost of transfers and wages when the budget to run the club on is so small

It is of course way too early to write a season off, but there is something about Blackpool's situation last season that seems reminiscent here... a relegation scrape I think it is then!

• Agree 1

The reality here is that I believe the club has spent this seasons budget and the cupboard is bare.

the pot of gold dream if you analyse the facts are SFA takes a huge chunk of the Scottish Cup income and this year the ticket prices were reduced and the crowd smaller . Add that to a reduced % to both clubs and perhaps the club following bonus payments and higher wages for new players who think we are top3 cup holders and Europa cup team increases the playing budget but we get less for our money.

the resigning of players will always increase playing costs because players will only resign for better terms and last 2 years the club did just that with a degree of success

survival this year then back to Marsella to find a new cheaper side to take us to further glory in a couple of years 

I guess in injury terms we have been lucky up till now. Last season we maintain a general starting 11 for most of season.

justvlets hope we get most back soon and we have already had our bad luck!

The reality here is that I believe the club has spent this seasons budget and the cupboard is bare.

the pot of gold dream if you analyse the facts are SFA takes a huge chunk of the Scottish Cup income and this year the ticket prices were reduced and the crowd smaller . Add that to a reduced % to both clubs and perhaps the club following bonus payments and higher wages for new players who think we are top3 cup holders and Europa cup team increases the playing budget but we get less for our money.

the resigning of players will always increase playing costs because players will only resign for better terms and last 2 years the club did just that with a degree of success

survival this year then back to Marsella to find a new cheaper side to take us to further glory in a couple of years 

This is probably true...my only beef here is that you'd think the club would have spent what they had on a striker....or shall we say more than one. Even non-league teams ensure they have some strikers!  Am I being unfair, is Roberts a striker?   6 goals in 42 appearances last year and 10yellows+1 red, suggests an interesting contribution if he gets fit

Unfortunately what is also true is that signing players on short term contracts means the best players like Shinnie and Watkins go without us getting any compensation....does a three year or four year contract cost that much more at the outset? If we had needed to sell either of Shinnie or Watkins early for budgetary reasons people would understand.

• Agree 1

this preview of the SJ game on bbc sport sums it up.

heres hoping we ditch the passing the ball to death tactics and see a shot at goal sometime soon

"If John Hughes hadn't made a sufficient public show of cooling expectations for his club this season, Caley Thistle's toothless opening-day defeat by Motherwell did the manager's talking for him.

Three shots, none of which tested Connor Ripley in the away goal, showed just how limp Inverness were going forward, while a serious injury to stalwart Gary Warren did little to alleviate the Highland blues.

Combative Hughes has been at pains to stress how past achievements count scantly, while Inverness languish well below Aberdeen, Hearts and both Dundee teams in terms of resources and support.

His charges have considerable pedigree in punching above their weight, finishing fifth then third in their past two seasons and lifting the Scottish Cup in May.

Perilous though it is to draw too many conclusions from early season clashes, however, there is a sense that, with their top-six rivals growing in strength, and key talents Graeme Shinnie, Marley Watkins and Nick Ross departing, this year's campaign could be especially challenging."

Very early days, but just 3 games into the season, does the league table already reflect the eventual top 6? Swap County for ICT and I think that might be it - or at least I hope so.

Edited by Yngwie
  • Agree 1