Inverness CT -V- Motherwell

Scotty

The most concerning thing for me is that I don't think I've seen any quotes from Yogi recently saying that he actually needs a striker - he just talks about needing to be more "cutting" in the final third. 

His quote about Mutombo "He can play in all positions across the front, either on the wing, behind the first striker or as that first striker". He's presumably not been played as a striker much - if he has then his goal record is woeful and in any case 4 goals in his last 80 games is not exactly encouraging for an attacking midfielder. Maybe Hughes sees him as more of a striker than his previous managers but if this is the case (based on watching him just 2 or 3 times then it seems a pretty desperate gamble.

Lopez has had a reasonable strike rate in his career but for the last 5 years has only played 20 games a season. For him to make a significant contribution he'll need to play more than he's played for years and play a lot better than he has in the last 3 games.

I can only hope that Yogi's just playing his cards close to his chest and is quietly working on finding a striker. Yesterday's injuries won't help in the search for a striker as he'll now also have to concentrate on shoring up the defence.

It is also a worry that, with the limited options currently available to him, Yogi seems intent on playing so many players out of position. I know that it's easy to be critical from the sidelines but the last time I felt so strongly that a manager had things wrong when Levein stuck resolutely with his 4-6-0 in Prague despite the fact that Scotland were every bit as good as the Czechs. I know his job can't be easy but sometimes a manager needs to look up as well and take note of what everyone around him is saying.

I suspect that's maybe because there's no money left in the budget for anymore players so he knows we've got to get on with it? 

Pretty much what Yogi has told the Inverness Courier: http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/Sport/Football/No-scope-to-bring-in-injury-replacements-says-Caley-Thistle-boss-John-Hughes-02082015.htm

So let me get this right. Signing five trialists has used up all our money?

Edited by lightlamp2

Three trialists? Wedderburn, Roberts, Fon Williams, Mbuyi-Mutombo, Lopez. It is frustrating that we don't have the budget of Dundee, or even County, but that's evidently the board's judgement. If Yogi had gone to the board after we won the cup, asked for a couple of quality signings, and was told no, then that's certainly frustrating.  But it's reality.

Last season can't have brought in enough to materially alter our balance sheet so given the club's finances aren't drastically changing and our attendences aren't likely to go up, I can understand why there isn't deemed to be enough extra cash to make a significant one off investment.  Don't we typically run at a very slight loss?

I don't think it's the decision I'd make; I'd much rather see a couple of quality players have come in.  But it's too early for me to say they haven't (you never know), and I think it would do Yogi a disservice to assume he doesn't understand the squad's weaknesses.

As for yesterday, I thought the three defence minded central midfielder thing shouldn't persist while we've got full backs who can't give us the width we then need. I hope Lopez is just taking the customary time to settle in (Wyness, Dargo etc), Mbuyi-Mutombo was encouraging and I was pleased to see Polworth getting on and trying to pick a pass that wasn't sideways.  Gutted for Gary Warren, really hope his recovery isn't going to go a bit Richie.

Edited by Tom_Weir
  • Agree 1

Here's an idea.  Why don't all ICT fans march to the club shop first thing on Monday morning and buy the new kits so the club can loads of money to sign more players?

Oh wait........it's not on sale yet....or in the club shop.

Ah well, just as the club got its priorities in order.  I mean, with a new striker so badly needed, surely they wouldn't do something mental like sign a third keeper.  Uh oh.....

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Here's an idea.  Why don't all ICT fans march to the club shop first thing on Monday morning and buy the new kits so the club can loads of money to sign more players?

Oh wait........it's not on sale yet....or in the club shop.

Ah well, just as the club got its priorities in order.  I mean, with a new striker so badly needed, surely they wouldn't do something mental like sign a third keeper.  Uh oh.....

.... who did well yesterday, and kept the scoreline respectable. Just saying, since this is a matchthread. 

EDIT: actually, I should have said kept us in with a shout of a point. Don't want to sound too negative....

Edited by Tom_Weir
Optimism

To be fair Fon Williams did have a good game yesterday.  Between a choice of continuing with Esson though and bringing a striker who can finish or bring in a third keeper, I know what I would choose.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1

So who is the reserve keeper to Esson if he gets injured before Brill gets back? 

Ideally Williams and a landmark striker but that is an extra £50k plus £3 k a week in wages which on my reckoning is approx £250 k without bonuses 

So who is the reserve keeper to Esson if he gets injured before Brill gets back? 

Cameron MacKay.

Seem him a quite a lot in the reserve league and he looks a solid keeper to me.  Could well go on to be our first choice one day IMO.  I take it if we'd signed a scorer and not a keeper people would be saying "Why have we signed a guy who can score goals and not another keeper?!".   Aye....right.

The most concerning thing for me is that I don't think I've seen any quotes from Yogi recently saying that he actually needs a striker - he just talks about needing to be more "cutting" in the final third. 

His quote about Mutombo "He can play in all positions across the front, either on the wing, behind the first striker or as that first striker". He's presumably not been played as a striker much - if he has then his goal record is woeful and in any case 4 goals in his last 80 games is not exactly encouraging for an attacking midfielder. Maybe Hughes sees him as more of a striker than his previous managers but if this is the case (based on watching him just 2 or 3 times then it seems a pretty desperate gamble.

Lopez has had a reasonable strike rate in his career but for the last 5 years has only played 20 games a season. For him to make a significant contribution he'll need to play more than he's played for years and play a lot better than he has in the last 3 games.

I can only hope that Yogi's just playing his cards close to his chest and is quietly working on finding a striker. Yesterday's injuries won't help in the search for a striker as he'll now also have to concentrate on shoring up the defence.

It is also a worry that, with the limited options currently available to him, Yogi seems intent on playing so many players out of position. I know that it's easy to be critical from the sidelines but the last time I felt so strongly that a manager had things wrong when Levein stuck resolutely with his 4-6-0 in Prague despite the fact that Scotland were every bit as good as the Czechs. I know his job can't be easy but sometimes a manager needs to look up as well and take note of what everyone around him is saying.

I suspect that's maybe because there's no money left in the budget for anymore players so he knows we've got to get on with it? 

Pretty much what Yogi has told the Inverness Courier: http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/Sport/Football/No-scope-to-bring-in-injury-replacements-says-Caley-Thistle-boss-John-Hughes-02082015.htm

That's barely disguised code for 'we're in the s#it'   :ohmy:

I am happy with Devine at CB, but if Meekings is missing against St Johnstone, I think we need to play Draper as the other CB. Tremarco being injured is also a problem as I see him as a decent LB (not in Shinnie's class obviously)...so Horner has to play there

With Vincent out (for how long?) Wedderburn can play next to Tansey, which gives us Williams and Christie to give us energy and creativity....Mutumbo and Lopez are left up front
Which leaves us nothing on the bench other than Polworth :crazy:   and the one think that I don't understand with Yogi is why we don't put our youngsters on the bench even if only for the matchday experience....or can't we even afford the sub's fee?

Let's hope that Mutombo is a real find, as without any real threat up front the ball will just keep coming at us.....Celtic away in a few weeks will be like the Alamo! On the bright side Fon-Williams sounds like a half decent keeper

Edited by Eagle4Caley

I was expecting a very wet and windy match as it was blowing a gale and lashing it downdown not far away from the stadium.

I was also expecting a good performance following up the cup win and finishing 3rd.

I'm glad we have got this game out the way as expectation levels can now be readjusted. The players have gone from the highs of the cup final and winning the cup, followed by the hype of the Europa league fixtures and are now back to league business with expectation levels so high we are now the new Celtic of the North.

Aberdeen were poor at the start of last season due to the dip in form after getting knocked out of the Europa league too.

I can now get back to being an ICT fan in the good games as well as the poor ones.

I don't think I can make the next home game but will be looking forward to the one after that.

As usual, some over reaction to a poor performance and defeat. Some posters do genuinely seem to think we have a divine right to win every game but hey ho.

Obviously not a great performance yesterday and playing players out of position does not help but with the injuries we have, not sure what else we could have done. I actually thought Raven was okay on the left and was getting forward but when he went to right back and Williams to left back, much better balance in the team and we had some much needed width. Thought Devine had a good game as well for us, possibly one of his best?. Fully understand however why Hughes started with Williams in midfield to give us some attacking options. It didn't help losing an early goal which was the result of two bad passes, one to tansy and then his pass. Nothing at all to do with the passing game. Our possession was okay but we need to speed it up and have runners coming from midfield. Our midfield was way to deep yesterday and someone needs to tell Ryan that he should not be dropping so deep to get the ball, that is not his job.

As many have said, we do need a striker and that is a major disappointment that we have still not found one of a suitable stature. Lopez does not look like a natural finisher and while Mutumbo showed good willingness and skill, only time will tell if he can score.

On the subject of finance and why we didn't sign strikers like other clubs, I don't think the cup run generated huge amounts of cash as some fans seem to think it did. I know St. Johnstone and Dundee Utd were not happy at the amount of cash they received from the previous cup final. Until we get a rich benefactor to stump up cash or get more fans through the door, we will struggle for money. Some fans have quoted Dundee as an example but I guarantee they will have a bigger average gate than us.

Looks likes we are in for a rocky few weeks with the injuries but lets recognise the difficulties we have currently and triumph in adversity which we have done many times before.

• Agree 5

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/33749636

"Highlights" . Sadly not one Inverness attack worthy of inclusion. My negativity on our strike-force is not just this game. There has been a dearth of goals (especially from strikers) in recent games. No goals against Astra (a tidy team to be fair) but before that one goal against championship St Mirren (Tansey), one goal against Nairn (Foran). Is it time for Calum Ferguson to get more game time? Think he'd be hungrier than Lopez. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/33749636

"Highlights" . Sadly not one Inverness attack worthy of inclusion. My negativity on our strike-force is not just this game. There has been a dearth of goals (especially from strikers) in recent games. No goals against Astra (a tidy team to be fair) but before that one goal against championship St Mirren (Tansey), one goal against Nairn (Foran). Is it time for Calum Ferguson to get more game time? Think he'd be hungrier than Lopez. 

unfortunately he is also injured. 

I think to put the blame on the centre forward is a bit mean. The game plan didn't get the ball up to the front man. We should put a sign up at each end with the words " kick the ball this way", Every time the attack got going the ball was thumped out wide to back up wide men and the move broke down. The strikers never got into the game. If we had , had Wayne Rooney up front it would have been the same story. Lets get some useful wide outs.? With some crossing ability, who keep the moves going.

When a ball is sent to the wing, the full back or winger has to run with the ball , not kick it back into traffic.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Barry Wilson being his usual negative self, as a player I liked him but a poor summariser and commentator. I think there is a bit of sour grapes there for his being released by ICT.

I know you were probably very disappointed when you posted this but that is an unwarranted slur on someone who served the club well in two highly successful spells with the club and who remains a club legend.

Barry is developing well as a summariser and is a breath of fresh air compared to many of the inarticulate Glaswegians employed by the BBC in similar positions and has been quick in the past to shower us with praise when it's due.

We were woeful on Saturday and, although I did not hear what he had to say, I am sure if he made any negative comments they were not borne out of any non existent sour grapes but the honest and accurate views of someone who is a fan and who was probably as frustrated as the rest of us.

• Agree 2

Barry Wilson being his usual negative self, as a player I liked him but a poor summariser and commentator. I think there is a bit of sour grapes there for his being released by ICT.

I know you were probably very disappointed when you posted this but that is an unwarranted slur on someone who served the club well in two highly successful spells with the club and who remains a club legend.

Barry is developing well as a summariser and is a breath of fresh air compared to many of the inarticulate Glaswegians employed by the BBC in similar positions and has been quick in the past to shower us with praise when it's due.

We were woeful on Saturday and, although I did not hear what he had to say, I am sure if he made any negative comments they were not borne out of any non existent sour grapes but the honest and accurate views of someone who is a fan and who was probably as frustrated as the rest of us.

Not a slur at all purely my opinion. Hopefully he will get better and a bit more positive.

have to agree with Bughtmaster. I only caught the post match comments from BW but very negative and no or little mention of the injury situation we have and how that impacted. It was as if that did not matter or have an impact.

• Agree 1

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic