Inverness CT -V- Motherwell

Scotty

Owain Fon Williams today was my MOTM - he kept the score to a respectable 1-0 defeat. I thought from the set go, we started very slow paced and got punished with a slack pass allowing Motherwell to get a crucial attack and duly delivered with a goal. 

I thought the tactics today weren't up to scratch. I stressed earlier in the week that Wedderburn and Draper are very similar and we should have played one or the other and not both. Danny Williams should have been left back and Raven right back and also Mutombo should have started the game. 

I still remain unconvinced by Dani Lopez unfortunately. I find that for a striker he spends far too much of the time outside of the box and when the killer cross goes into the box he is nowhere near it. His movement on the ball is also a bit clumsy but to give him the benefit of the doubt he may be lacking match fitness, which should be eradicated at this stage IMO. 

It's only the first game of the season and the injury list is more the underlaying issue than what's on the pitch. We need more recruitments in the form of a left back and striker and we'd be set. 

• Agree 1

Guest Shaun

It is as simple as this: WE NEED BLOODY STRIKERS, how the gaffer can't see this is beyond me!!!!

I'm sure he knows that.  With our budget, where do you suggest he gets them?   To be fair he has signed Lopez.  Whether Lopez is up to the job is another matter.  I was surprised he didn't keep Hooper who at least could score (including one or two when he was trialling with us).  Whether Mutombo can play as an out and out striker remains to be seen.  I will be interested to hear what folks thought of him today.

I think the euphoria of last season will soon wear off and that we will do well to retain top 6 this year. That, in fact, will be an achievement I feel.

Sorry but i dont buy all this small budget crap anymore We finished third in the premiership. Won the Scottish cup and qualified for the Europa Leauge. Got loads of TV money and £150K for Billy Mckay We can afford more than just signing free trialists from the lower leagues.

Dundee did this. They signged a proven goalscorer (Loy) He scores two on his debut. So what *are* we doing with all the money we have?

It is as simple as this: WE NEED BLOODY STRIKERS, how the gaffer can't see this is beyond me!!!!

I'm sure he knows that.  With our budget, where do you suggest he gets them?   To be fair he has signed Lopez.  Whether Lopez is up to the job is another matter.  I was surprised he didn't keep Hooper who at least could score (including one or two when he was trialling with us).  Whether Mutombo can play as an out and out striker remains to be seen.  I will be interested to hear what folks thought of him today.

I think the euphoria of last season will soon wear off and that we will do well to retain top 6 this year. That, in fact, will be an achievement I feel.

Sorry but i dont buy all this small budget crap anymore We finished third in the premiership. Won the Scottish cup and qualified for the Europa Leauge. Got loads of TV money and £150K for Billy Mckay We can afford more than just signing free trialists from the lower leagues.

Dundee did this. They signged a proven goalscorer (Loy) He scores two on his debut. So what *are* we doing with all the money we have?

I totally agree with you.

Even a loan but I'd prefer it to be a permanent signing.

Plus, there are/were good free agent strikers that were available (Fletcher went to Motherwell, Reilly to Hearts and Loy to Dundee).

There are bound to be good players down in England or even Ireland that would be worth bidding for (loan or permanent)

Abysmal play by us. Why play Raven at left back when left sided Williams was elsewhere. Fon Williams kept the score down but got little help from anyone else. We could have played for a week and not got into their box.

Really disappointing performance and Yogi should shoulder some of that blame.

• Agree 1

Didn't make it today but surprised to hear the posts about Wedderburn.. I thought he was one of our better players out in Romania.  

Gutted with the result ... but it's idiotic to be writing off new signings when they are settling into an unbalanced side with the players we have lost and the injuries Yogi has to deal with at the moment. 

We obviously need a goalscorer (maybe 2) .. Lopez could be a decent player but he doesn't seem to be the sort of player that can lead the line himself. 

Hopefully this result is the kick up the arse needed for the board to go out and spend some money.... As Lightlamp posted earlier we need some investment and Yogi deserves it after all the revenue he brought to the club last year.  We should not have to live off free transfers from regional divisions in Spain and France...it's fine for these players to come in and help the squad but we should not be relying on them as first team players.  It's not fair on them to be thrown straight in and be judged like that when they are stepping into a higher standard of league.  

If we don't buy someone soon I think it is fair that questions are asked of the board.

Still remaining positive though ... there was no way that we could expect to be as good as last year so everyone needs to take a breath and be patient. 

• Agree 7

A truly honking performance from ICT with the tone set early on when Warren hacked down Skippy after only a few minutes of the game gone with our fragmented side struggling to settle into anything approaching a rhythm. As was so often the case with Inverness when Hughes first arrived we were architects of our own downfall and helped Well score the first goal. A slack pass by Tansey was eagerly seized upon by Well and it looked like Fletcher and McDonald linked well to create a chance which was well saved by Fon Williams however he couldn't collect the ball and Fletcher followed in from\close range to put Well ahead. 

As anyone who has seen an ICT game this season will know we have a lot of the ball but do absolutely nothing with it. As Motherwell sat back and defended in numbers ICT stroked the ball about with no real creative spark to open up the Steelmen. Even on the odd occasion when a break could have been on we seemed content to advance slowly out of defence and keep the ball rather than go for the jugular and try and get right at Well. At one point, collecting the ball from a wasted Motherwell corner we had all of our players within about 10 - 15 yards of the ball in a couple of big lines with no one further ahead of the player with the ball and no one seemingly trying to get into space to try and stretch the remaining defenders. We were exceptionally sluggish whereas Motherwell were much more direct and aggressive with and without the ball chasing it down and snapping into tackles making it hard for us to settle things down.

McDonald missed a penalty after Johnson showed great skill to roll his marker and sprinted into the box only to fall over under what looked like minimal contact from Devine. Regardles, Allan gave a penalty and Fon Williams did well to block McDonalds spot kick which was a nice height for the keeper to get to and keep out. Wedderburn, who was struggling with the quickness of Motherwell players closing him down, was subbed for Mutombo who injected a bit more creativity and pace into a lackadaisical ICT side. 

This was pretty much how the first half played out with the only other notable talking point being what looked like a horrendous challenge by Pearson on Warren which resulted in the ICT defender having to be subbed off. Pearson looked like he launched himself hard into a challenge going well over the ball with studs showing. It seemed a clear red card but fortunately for Pearson Allan only showed him a yellow. Pearson himself went off later on as he seemed to injure himself in the tackle as well. Will be interesting to see it again on the highlights if its covered.

Motherwell started the second half on top and ICT again were in a mess at the back. Some good work down the Well right led to a good chance to extend their lead but fortunately an effort by Fletcher (I think) hit the post / was saved for Fon Williams. Not long after that Chalmers (I think) who was still up from a corner looked certain to score as he waited to tuck away a loose ball from only inches out but somehow Draper came in to clear the ball away. 

The second half largely replicated the first with Well starting strongly and ICT struggling to create anything. A half hearted penalty claim from Tansey who looked like he may have been clipped in the box and a free kick late on from the same player which was headed wide were as close as ICT came to threatening anything close to a goal in a match that was not high on thrills. 

A good win for Motherwell who looked comfortable throughout but a concerning defeat ICT who, despite missing a lot of first team players, struggled again to create any really good scoring chances. With Meekings and Warren both coming off injured our back four is completely unrecognisable from that of last season. If we aren't going to score then we could at least have looked to a relatively resolute defence to keep the opposition out. It will be interesting to see how a potentially patchwork backline deals with the upcoming games against Saint Johnstone and Partick.

Hearing that Gary Warren's injury is a bad one...

Hope not but it wouldn't surprise me too much. It looked like a disgusting challenge from Pearson. What puzzles me is that Allan clearly saw it as a foul (hence the yellow card) but not one that constituted SFP. Looked a clear red card to me. Wonder if the highlights will pick it up?

• Agree 2

Looked like 2 players going in hard for a 50-50, Warren getting there first, Pearson catching the man. The ball was there to be won. You could call Pearson wreckless, but don't think there was any malice in the challenge.

If it is a broken leg then Warren is as hard as nails. He refused a stretcher, and initially looked like he wanted to play on, in stark contrast to the player he fouled in the first minute, who literally acted like he had a broken leg to get Warren booked, then immediately got up unscathed.

Edited by AlexJones

To be honest, if Warren's challenge in the first minute was at any other point in the game he could easily have been sent off for it. He couldn't really send Pearson off after letting Warren off with his one.

I'm not sure how that would happen. When a challenge takes place in a game is completely irrelevant to the punishment received. Anyway, Warrens challenge on McDonald clearly wasn't a case of SFP.

Looked like 2 players going in hard for a 50-50, Warren getting there first, Pearson catching the man. The ball was there to be won. You could call Pearson wreckless, but don't think there was any malice in the challenge.

If it is a broken leg then Warren is as hard as nails. He refused a stretcher, and initially looked like he wanted to play on.

not so much hard as nails. More a case of damage control as the bumbling idiots nearly launched him out the stretcher. It was safer getting a helping hand instead. 

I totally agree with you.

Even a loan but I'd prefer it to be a permanent signing.

Plus, there are/were good free agent strikers that were available (Fletcher went to Motherwell, Reilly to Hearts and Loy to Dundee).

There are bound to be good players down in England or even Ireland that would be worth bidding for (loan or permanent)

Yeah I agree here as well, the whole team seems incredibly threadbare and it's a big worry! On these forums there is constant reference to the lack of budget but is that the actual reality of the situation? We have after all just won the Scottish Cup.

But the recent recruitment policy just seems pretty crazy, I was worried after Butcher left because it was obvious he had a great eye for spotting talent or players that would suit his style and maybe now that a few guys are leaving it's starting to show. County took Jackson Irvine on loan from Celtic last year and now he has signed and is one of the best in their team, if they can manage deals like that then surely we can. Lopez was playing 3rd tier in Spain - that is not a very high level of football we should be punching higher. 

So basically I'm worried haha.

I'm not sure how that would happen. When a challenge takes place in a game is completely irrelevant to the punishment received. Anyway, Warrens challenge on McDonald clearly wasn't a case of SFP.

Referees are very rarely going to send someone off so early in the game. The timing should be irrelevant, but I think some refs know they'll be criticised if they kill the game as a contest so early so will lessen the punishment.  It looked a very bad tackle from the Main Stand.

Excellent summary by RiG, 

Of course the injury crisis is a concern but it will pass,  What is of more concern to me is the lack of creativity,  3 attempts at goal when you are behind for most of the game at home against the team that finished 11th last year is woeful.  We could have carried on all night and still not had a shot on target.

There seems to be an obsession of playing balls to feet all the time.  Nobody seems to want to play balls into the spaces, nobody seems to want to take the responsibility to take players on or to look to shoot from distance. The one positive I would take from the game was that at least Mutombo looked promising.  He at least seemed to understand that we actually needed to score a goal.

• Agree 2

Hearing that Gary Warren's injury is a bad one, probably a broken leg.

If that's true (and I very much hope it is not), then we urgently need to bring in a defender - maybe a loanee from England until January.

Referees are very rarely going to send someone off so early in the game. The timing should be irrelevant, but I think some refs know they'll be criticised if they kill the game as a contest so early so will lessen the punishment.  It looked a very bad tackle from the Main Stand.

The Warren tackle just looked like he hung his leg out and tripped McDonald which is very different from what Pearson looked to have done.

Hope this rumour about a broken leg is just that. He tried to walk on it but had to give up after a couple of steps. Could he do that on a broken leg? 

If that's true (and I very much hope it is not), then we urgently need to bring in a defender - maybe a loanee from England until January.

Not so sure that'd be necessary. We have Devine, Wedderburn, Draper, Jason Brown all capable of filling in at centre back. A left back should be more a priority. 

Couldn't really have had a worse start, 2 of our main players injured, a loss at home and a shocking performance! That made the Astra games look like they happened years ago!! Fair enough we're down a few players due to injury but to still not have a striker, winger or left back at this stage is pathetic! Everyone else that wanted to recruit has recruited...even county so there is no excuses! It could well be a long season after that performance but maybe it's what they needed to bring them back down to earth and Scottish football! 

But those who are saying Hughes out are clearly pathetic and idiotic...supporting your club means supporting your players and management, no matter how hard it gets!!! 

• Agree 4

Not so sure that'd be necessary. We have Devine, Wedderburn, Draper, Jason Brown all capable of filling in at centre back. A left back should be more a priority. 

Tremarco

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic