"Caley you're sh*te"

CaleyMax

This is what I heard being shouted before half time yesterday at the match from a so called ICT fan in the North Stand. This was shouted during a quiet spell when people on and off the pitch could clearly hear him. This negative rhetoric does nothing to help our teams performance but undermines morale and the confidence of the players. At the same time it gives a lift to the opposition, which is not really what you want! 

Yesterday's game might have been poor, however not our worst home home performance against Motherwell, I was at the match in Nov 2012 when we got thumped 5 goals to 1 by them. Gutted - you bet I was but still did not find it necessary to add to the players despondency by taunting them or booing them off the pitch which happened yesterday. 

Caley Thistle - simply unbelievable............ Scottish Cup winners, 3rd in the League AND European Football. This makes me proud and very happy to support my local team through the highs and lows. Remember yesterday was only 1 game in a whole season, both Mutombo and Williams having a good game, Mutombo with his pace and clever footwork and Williams for keeping us in the game. 

To the man who shouted the above words and others like him, maybe you should find another team to support - in fact there is a team just over the bridge which might suit you more!!! 

Let's get behind the lads! 

• Agree 14
  • Disagree 1

Sounds like a guy we were sitting near at the Astra game in Romania and just repeatedly shouted the same thing during the second half when we only needed 1 goal to put us to extra time.  

If it is the same person then he didn't look like he's kicked a football before in his life!!  He also came out with some other classic encouraging quotes, such as "do something with the ball" and "Lopez you're a waste of a shirt"

• "Do something with the ball"

If you don't know what should be done with the ball and you have a better view of the whole pitch, then how the **** do you expect "something" to be done with the ball by the player that is being pressurised by the opposition and has limited time to make their decision?  Not every pass can be a world cup pass ... if football was that easy it would be a basketball score every game! 

• "Lopez you're a waste of a shirt"

I've only seen the guy in video clips and the game out in Romania but it is embarrassing that a new signing is getting absolutely no help from his fans.  He was pretty dismal in the first half in Romania but in the second half he looked as though he could have something to offer the club when he was dropping deeper.  Even if he does turn out to be a donkey do you actually think that telling a player he is having a shocker is going to help him??  Or worse, telling him that he isn't good enough for this level when he might be having the same doubts himself is going to help in anyway??  

I'm not a happy clapper by any means and could write a very long list of the things I think the club could be doing better on all fronts ... but honestly what do some fans expect??   

Everyone gets frustrated.. especially when it's not going our way but surely Yogi has bought himself half a season at the very least before fans start turning on him.  He won us a Scottish Cup FFS!! 

His methods have been proven successful so any argument about style of play is way off the mark... but he is now having to deal with losing 5 first team players and a barrel load of injuries so I definitely think the board need to give him a hand and get a couple of landmark signings.  To this day the largest transfer fee we have ever paid for a player is £25k for Barrowman (I think) .. we now NEED some investment.

End of the day if a fan pays money for a ticket it's their right to express their opinion but I would prefer to think that we have enough educated fans to weed out the others.  

• Agree 5

Pretty harsh sharing that halfway through 1st game of season. Everyone is forgetting that it was only a 1-0 defeat. We weren't hammered just had a poor game against a team who pressed at right times and sat in a lot.

• Agree 2

Stand corrected .. £50k!

Still not a huge amount of money compared to what others in the SPFL have spent this season and we must be in a better financial position now that we have ever been...

I could understand not spending money on buying players if we were spending this on wages but the players we have signed are not going to demand a high wage.  I would be very surprised if the money we have saved with the loss of Shinnie, Watkins, Ofere, Ross doesn't cover the new contracts offered for Wedderburn, Roberts, Lopez & Mutombo on their own. 

Which leaves the £150k for Mckay, revenue from Cup final and 3rd in the league...  where has that gone? (there is no way 1 away trip to Romania has emptied the bank balance)

Even when taking that money out the equation the club will have made absolutely feck all investment for the season  

If they are building new training facilities or replacing the temporary stands then fair enough .. let the fans know there is an end goal!

• Agree 1

For some reason, and this has been the case for many years, we appear to have a section of supporters for whom the team can do nothing right.

IHE, you have got your quote the wrong way around as usual, Thistle were always more entertaining although not always in a football sense!

What drives me mental are people who just don't seem to understand tactics at all.  Hughes seems to like to have a short option for corners, as it means the opposition have to bring another man out of their box as well.  This is always met "GET IN THE BOX!  GET IN THE BOX!".  

Even worse was some of the shouts towards Esson and Brill last season.  I remember on one occasion Esson was out at the edge of the D talking to his centre-backs when there was a break in play.  Some dunderhead behind me screamed "GET ON YOUR LINE ESSON!"  Absolute head in hands stuff.  You actually have to wonder if some of these people know what they're watching.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

I'm sure we paid around £65k for John Rankin.

I thought it was 50k ish and at the time I felt the only reason he was getting a game ahead of the rest of the team was because money was spent on him, once he had more time to settle in he became one of the better players in the team, so heres hoping the new starts get their chance to settle in too.

For some reason, and this has been the case for many years, we appear to have a section of supporters for whom the team can do nothing right.

Such is the lot of many clubs, I fear. The psychology of football support is fascinating!

I have always been of the view that, for some, attending football matches (and I use that as a deliberate alternative to "supporting" a football team) is principally a means of trying to address their own personal feelings of inadequacy. If you are in a position to make a loud and public assertion that high profile individuals or, collectively, a high profile organisation are hugely inadequate well in that case you're maybe not quite as inadequate yourself as you constantly find yourself otherwise believing. Are you????? Sometimes the actual football isn't all that an important as aspect of people's visits to games.

It's perhaps the same with all those guys (and it's overwhelmingly men) who invariably know FAR better than the manager how to set out the team and what tactics to use. Isn't it a scandal that such an overwhelming source of football expertise is being wasted in the stands while clubs pay good money to employ incompetents? This is what I find the most amusing aspect of going to football - all these people who individually have more footballing nous in their little fingers than the entire management team put together. So how come managers have acquired well paid jobs while these people have to pay to get in and watch? Sometimes the delusional aspects of football fans can be absolutely hilarious.

As for Caley Thistle.... well I have to say that I am getting increasingly concerned that this Old Firm expectation that the default position is victory is gaining currency alarmingly rapidly among fans.

• Agree 3