Inverness CT -V- Hamilton

Scotty

Not good today. I think we tried to be way too clever in distribution and just seemed to always end up giving the ball away before it went anywhere worth watching. Both Hamilton goals came from ICT mis-passes. We're not creating nearly enough clear cut chances to justify the cheap possession loss and resultant goals we're shipping. While 2nd goal was a breakaway, it looked like Fon williams completely misjudged it with an OCT defender on longridge he came rushing out and was instantly left in no mans land for an easy finish. Would like to see it on tele again. For first 20 mins or so I thought ok Lopez is coming onto a game but he faded out- needs to work much harder when not on ball. Mutumbo can be exciting and pacey but just doesn't seem to be a finisher. Too many seemed lacklustre even with a few mins to go, still too much sideways passing and not enough desire to try and penetrate. Substitutions must be as Hiro said above "message to board" but with 5-10 mins to go I'd have blooded at least one of our young guys.

On a positive note...at least we'll always have Hampden 2015.

Depressing game, hey I think there are plenty locals who could do a better job up top than Lopez and they would cost feck all! His anticipation is terrible, Mackay had great hold up play even when he wasn't scoring and we are desperately missing that. Lopez seems to be a few seconds too late for every ball. He nearly scored a great goal at the beggining though so fair play. 

• Disagree 1

I actually felt Lopez was more in tune with his team mates this week.  I could understand bringing Wedderburn and Tremarco on as the latter allowed Williams to go further forward, while the former has the presence to win the ball in midfield and be a threat from set-pieces, but I can't understand why Lopez was replaced with Horner.  Now taking a striker off when you're a goal down is one thing (especially if he's injured), but surely Ferguson would be the man to come on?  At least getting another striker on in place of him would've retained the goal threat up front.  Has Horner ever looked like scoring?  I would've had the faith that Ferguson or even Sutherland up-front towards the end would've made at least a good go of it.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1

I have seen us play worse than that.  We are badly missing a defence.  Draper although doing his best is honking at centre back.  Devine is obviously missing the experience of having Warren or Meekings or for that matter Shinnie alongside him.  We could and should have been in front before Hamilton scored.  If we keep creating chances like we did at points today, goals will come.  But we need to give ourselves a chance by not conceding cheap goals llike we did today.  The first was a gift, ball just given away from a loose pass in a silly area. 

Hamilton I thought weren't good at all.  Dirtiest team I've seen in a long time, thought the same last season too. Its just that without a solid defence we're just too easy to beat at the moment.

Should also add that I think some of our players look totally unfit, Tansey being one of them.  That's before he went off injured

Edited by Sir C the 3rd
  • Agree 2

Watkins never wanted to stay ( look at comments from him and agent) and Shinnie had outgrown us. Hamilton took in £1m for Andreu plus other cash for players,  that's why they have more to invest.

The sooner we realise last year was a one off the better. Surviving in Premiership, given our annual turnover, is what we realistically should be looking to achieve ( even if we think we should do better)

I want last year all over again, but let's face it, economics would suggest otherwise.

At last some sanity from amongst the wailing and gnashing of teeth!

When will people realise we never sold Shinnie, Watkins or Ross? We never received any money for them.

These players/legends chose not to stay a long time ago and ran their contracts down.

I have said before on here and on P&B that we have no God given right to be anywhere near the heights achieved last year.

Those successes may only happen once in a lifetime and are to be savoured not expected.

Although when bringing this up with some of our delusional and downright daydreaming fans who believe that we should be pushing on and not resting on laurels I have been accused of being a happy clapper!

I would rather live in the real world and enjoy my club playing at the highest position possible than unrealistically expect to roll over all other teams at will and dream of the day which unfortunately will never dawn of ICT being kings of the world.

We are going through possibly one of our most challenging situations but people should realise we will probably be in this current situation more often than not.

Don't particularly like it myself but that's reality.

• Agree 4

Let's just accept the sublime to the ridiculous ?

Watkins never wanted to stay ( look at comments from him and agent) and Shinnie had outgrown us. Hamilton took in £1m for Andreu plus other cash for players,  that's why they have more to invest.

The sooner we realise last year was a one off the better. Surviving in Premiership, given our annual turnover, is what we realistically should be looking to achieve ( even if we think we should do better)

I want last year all over again, but let's face it, economics would suggest otherwise.

At last some sanity from amongst the wailing and gnashing of teeth!

When will people realise we never sold Shinnie, Watkins or Ross? We never received any money for them.

These players/legends chose not to stay a long time ago and ran their contracts down.

I have said before on here and on P&B that we have no God given right to be anywhere near the heights achieved last year.

Those successes may only happen once in a lifetime and are to be savoured not expected.

Although when bringing this up with some of our delusional and downright daydreaming fans who believe that we should be pushing on and not resting on laurels I have been accused of being a happy clapper!

I would rather live in the real world and enjoy my club playing at the highest position possible than unrealistically expect to roll over all other teams at will and dream of the day which unfortunately will never dawn of ICT being kings of the world.

We are going through possibly one of our most challenging situations but people should realise we will probably be in this current situation more often than not.

Don't particularly like it myself but that's reality.

That is one of the most negative posts around but it is a reality check. but also asks the question Why ? Which is not as clear and has not been answered.

I thought we played quite well in the 1st half and just lacked that goal or two, second half was a bit of a non event and Hamilton did what they could to break up any momentum. We ran out of ideas near the end, the 2nd goal for Accies was us being hit on the break.

Frustrating and I think Yogi's patience has ran out as well as it did with many of the supporters near the end. Expect changes against Dundee, certainly this can't continue.

Maybe Wedderburn at center back and Draper restored to the midfield?.

• Agree 2

Yogi ordered a special banquet last night from the newly opened Don't Beat Astra takeaway. He asked for something spicy up front. Apparently his Clubcard was declined due to lack of funds. He was also advised that the special Jamaican peas and rice were off the menu and the new plain Rice was dodgy and not a good bet. Yogi has apparently cancelled his New Year order as he does not expect to be living locally at that time. ICT officially declined to comment as they appear to be also doing in the "Ask the Club" section.

The Highlands were ours unless we take back Rory and Bryan Prunty. That may not be as fruitful as playing Ferguson and Sutherland but perhaps more cost efficient and generally efficient than the panic buys at present.

image.jpg

well written but frankly wrong. Nine, aye nine first team picks being out, but still picking up a wage means a weakened squad but not a lot of room to improve at least in the short term. Resigning people in summer after a successful season resulted in having to spend more just to stand still. We are losing games because our defence is decimated and our attack depleted. It's not being apollogist, just stating facts. We weren't too far off it for spells today.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

When loosing  0 1 we take off  a midfielder ( who takes corners , free kicks and has a shot on him ) and bring on a fullback ?

When chasing the game towards the end , we take off a front player and replace him with another front player.

One would think that the subs would be to be more attacking, not like for like >

Surely both front players should have been left on to work in tandem.

I did not enjoy the game today.  (Brian Clough once said the only good thing about the match was the Bovril at half time.)

After today I can see his point.

I don't mind losing if I can see light at the end of the tunnel, but I don't see even a chink.

No jibes please about Trolls .

stop trolling.................................only jesting.

Taking Tremarco on was to push Williams further forward, however we don't have an attacking player on the books that's fit. I agree though, it's grim.

Every ICT player on the park was devoid of guts and ability today. We have no leaders or anyone willing to take responsibility. Full credit to Hamilton who looked like they wanted the points and literally fought tooth and nail for them.

Surely the time has come to give Ferguson a couple of starts. I cannot understand why Hughes takes a part time striker on trial and then says we cannot afford a fee and also that as he is part time it will take 6 months for him to get up to speed. Apparently he is a really nice pleasant lad though and gets on well with the players!

Finally it's time to bring Easson back in, I just don' t feel that the team is as confident without him in goals.

Every ICT player on the park was devoid of guts and ability today. We have no leaders or anyone willing to take responsibility. Full credit to Hamilton who looked like they wanted the points and literally fought tooth and nail for them.

Surely the time has come to give Ferguson a couple of starts. I cannot understand why Hughes takes a part time striker on trial and then says we cannot afford a fee and also that as he is part time it will take 6 months for him to get up to speed. Apparently he is a really nice pleasant lad though and gets on well with the players!

Finally it's time to bring Easson back in, I just don' t feel that the team is as confident without him in goals.

Do you not think that missing players of the calibre of Meekings and Warren is something to do with us leaking goals? Not Fon Williams fault imho 

• Agree 6

Yogi ordered a special banquet last night from the newly opened Don't Beat Astra takeaway. He asked for something spicy up front. Apparently his Clubcard was declined due to lack of funds. He was also advised that the special Jamaican peas and rice were off the menu and the new plain Rice was dodgy and not a good bet. Yogi has apparently cancelled his New Year order as he does not expect to be living locally at that time. ICT officially declined to comment as they appear to be also doing in the "Ask the Club" section.

The Highlands were ours unless we take back Rory and Bryan Prunty. That may not be as fruitful as playing Ferguson and Sutherland but perhaps more cost efficient and generally efficient than the panic buys at present.

image.jpg

well written but frankly wrong. Nine, aye nine first team picks being out, but still picking up a wage means a weakened squad but not a lot of room to improve at least in the short term. Resigning people in summer after a successful season resulted in having to spend more just to stand still. We are losing games because our defence is decimated and our attack depleted. It's not being apollogist, just stating facts. We weren't too far off it for spells today.

Thou does protest too much. Great excuse/probable reason and very, very valid but this was an issue well before the injury situation. But the "purchases" quite frankly have been panic buys and not what we needed / wanted. Yogi is clearly cheesed off - and is he under pressure to play the panic signings becos of pre-contract deals by agents - off course not and ma wee chirping birdie is shitt stirring as ever. Behind doors at ICT is more secretive and divisive as it has been fer ages. Where has the "earnings" of a special season gone ? Or have the so called Midmills saviours bowed out and called back their "donation" ? Sorry if I am talking uninformed drivel 

• Agree 1

Cliched comment, I thought some of our players put in a lot of work Polworth, Mutombo, Williams and Christie for example. We are not short in guts or leadership, but we could do with a bit more ability, but that's not the fault of the players that played today. If we had won and played exactly the same way, you wouldn't have said that.

There was a lot of provoking and gamesmanship from certain Hamilton players towards our players, jersey pulling, play acting, chasing the ref trying to get our players booked, that McKinnon targeted Ryan Christie throughout the game. I don't think they were the better team over the 90, they just happened to put the ball in the net twice. Dirty dirty team, who can't win games with the talented players they have. Not exactly a team to admire.

I agree about Ferguson, if we were winning Yogi would probably happily give him 10 or 15 minutes, but if we are chasing the game like we have had to do in all but the St. Johnstone game its better we use the more experienced players. He will get his chance.

I have no complaints about Fon Williams, he looks like the one signing this summer that has worked out straight away.

• Agree 1

This season is going to be a bit of a salvage operation, which is going to be deflating after last season's swashbuckling.

Thin squad, hasty buys, injury crisis before the new players have time to blend into the team.

I honestly don't think there's a lot Hughes can do right now except keep their morale from hitting the floor and try to make us harder to beat.

• Agree 4

Started the game really well today and should of been 2/3-0 up. Lopez and Mutumbo should of scored. When Hamilton scored though that changed everything. Just spineless after that. No plan B at all. Injuries or not that is terrible.

They moan about attendances. No wonder people aren't coming to watch that.

First half we were the better team and probably should have had the game wrapped up. Second half we were absolutely dreadful.

As against Motherwell and Celtic, the goals were of the soft variety. I'm all for the passing game, but there's a time and a place. Right now we have a makeshift team full of guys playing out of position. Why are we still trying to play like Barcelona? Almost every goal we've conceded recently has been self inflicted. Overplaying under pressure and turning over possession in a dangerous area. Today was no different. 

The team is completely unbalanced. Last year we outplayed Hamilton at their own physical game. They were outmuscled by Drapes and Vincent in the midfield battle. We're seriously missing those 2 guys in the middle. Tansey, Polworth and Vigurs are all too similar to play in the same team IMO. We need runners / battlers in there. Unsurprising then that our play was lethargic and slow, and Hamilton won almost every 50-50 and second ball in the second half (until Wedderburn and Horner were introduced). 

As others have said, it's worrying that Yogi doesn't appear to have a plan B. We've become far too predictable and one dimensional. It's looking like we're going to be battling against relegation this year. Desperate times require desperate measures. Sometimes you need to ditch idealism and go with pragmatism. Until our injury crisis abates, let's ease up on the Barcelona stuff. Especially around our own 18 yard box! When under pressure, hoof it up the park and scrap for second balls. If it's good enough for Van Gaal and Mourinho teams - it should be good enough for us!

• Agree 1

We've had bad starts before and turned it round. I think we can. Getting Meekings fit again to play alongside Devine is a must. 

And having Tremarco available for 90 minutes. Just to have a solid predictable back 4. A platform to build on. Warren will be out till the new year almost certainly. I wonder if a left sided centre half on loan would work?

Up front we lack both a physical presence and a pacey player who plays off the shoulder. We need on or the other, preferably the latter as it suits our game more. I'll be watching the Malmo -Celtic 2nd leg with a keen eye given that there's a potential 6 figure windfall for us if Celtic qualify for the group stages. 

Surely some of that could be used for a couple of short term loans or deals? It can't be budgeted for. So would be a bonus cash flow. Clutching straws perhaps. 

• Agree 1

Do you not think that missing players of the calibre of Meekings and Warren is something to do with us leaking goals? Not Fon Williams fault imho 

Yes agree 100% with you on that one!  

• Agree 1

Just worked out there that in the great season we had in 2012-13, where we finished fourth in the league and missed out on Europe on the final day, we only had one more point after five games than what we have now.  It was also around this time that many had dismissed David Raven as not good enough and we were all worried where a goalscorer was coming from (we already had one!)

Keep your hair on folks.  The season is young.

• Agree 3

A lot of this has already been said, but here goes. 

A split personality performance if ever there was one. Before Hamilton scored, it only seemed a matter of time until we took the lead. We created a number of chances, but couldn't apply the killer touch. Once Hamilton took the lead we had a few chances, but never really looked like we would equalise. 

The first goal came via a defence splitting pass. Unfortunately, it was one of our players who split the defence. The second goal came as we were pressing. Hard to tell if it was bad defending as it happened at the other end from me. 

Despite our injuries, it doesn't look like the defence is the big issue. They were ok yesterday. The one thing I would agree with is that we need to change our style of play. With a makeshift team, playing out from the back puts us under too much pressure in our own final third - it's our defending in possession that is suspect. 

The midfield is seriously misfiring. Tansey was woeful yesterday - no surprise that he was hooked 

Muotombo and Lopez do appear to be improving with each game, which raises the question - if they needed games, why didn't they play in some development league games?

Hamilton were the dirtiest team I've seen in a long time. Hammer throwers to a man. 

And where on earth did they find that ref? What a pernickety, weak, ineffectual ******. Another graduate of the Collum school of refereeing excellence. 

Early doors it all looked so promising, we created plenty but woeful finishing let us down. Once they scored we lost the focus, created bits here and there but generally poor from back to front.

Things can only get better as the treatment room slowly empties. Absolutely fantastic season last time but back to the harsh realities, sure we will survive but it's not going to be pretty a long the way.

Onwards and gladly upwards

• tm4tj unpinned this topic
  • Scotty unfeatured this topic