Hughes Hamiton post match interview

Council Juice

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34031060

Hughes is determined to find a striker before the end of the transfer window but admitted the search is proving to be difficult.

"The board have given me a hand, the money is there to go and get one," he said. "It's finding one.

"We thought we had one coming in on Monday but we've been let down. Time's running out."

Seems the issue is not the money not being there, or the board not releasing the money either, its because the right striker is proving difficult to find. Personally I prefer this approach of trying to find a striker who has the attributes he's after and who will improve the team, rather than just signing a striker. just because he's a striker.

• Agree 6

Looking from the outside, and with liitle information to go on, the concerning thing here is the apparent lack of planning, coupled with a perception that there has been a lot of quibbling between manager and chairman over available funds. Mckay was our only recognised striker in January and he left for a fee. This meant that there were at least 2 vacancies for strikers from then and funds should have been made available from the fee in order to get the whole thing moving at that point - there were plenty of punters coming to the end of contracts who were potential targets. I am not in the slightest bit surprised that JH is struggling to find any quality at this stage of the transfer window, now that money appears to have been found. The horse has bolted.

• Agree 2

Looking from the outside, and with liitle information to go on, the concerning thing here is the apparent lack of planning, coupled with a perception that there has been a lot of quibbling between manager and chairman over available funds. Mckay was our only recognised striker in January and he left for a fee. This meant that there were at least 2 vacancies for strikers from then and funds should have been made available from the fee in order to get the whole thing moving at that point - there were plenty of punters coming to the end of contracts who were potential targets. I am not in the slightest bit surprised that JH is struggling to find any quality at this stage of the transfer window, now that money appears to have been found. The horse has bolted.

Not sure that the fault should be laid at the feet of the board. Funds were available which the manager chose to spend on recruiting a number of midfielders, an area we were relatively well covered for already but did not recruit a single strikers when it's been obvious for months that we need at least one and preferably two.

• Agree 1

...I fully agree that what money was spent was wasted in the wrong areas and I wasn't really pointing the finger at the board. However, JH obviously has an axe to grind because he has openly indicated in the press that there was no more cash and he needed a striker. Now it appears that more cash has been made available, but IMO it is too late in the transfer window. In short, I don't know what planning there was (if any), but we are now a team full of very similar midfielders, with little invention, no cover at all at the back and no strikeres. Of course the injury list hasn't helped, but this car-crash was imminent since January and nothing appears to have been put in place to mitigate!

• Agree 1

That all depends on what Yogi views as "a right striker".

It's not so much a case of patiently seeking Mr Right as desperately searching for a Mr Right-Now.

Edited by Yngwie

Ideally the boy would be strong athletic, with pace, around 6ft tall and likes to play off the shoulder. Oh and can score goals.  

I'm available and meet one of those criteria - which is one more than the legendary Dean MacDonald did!

Edited by Yngwie
  • Agree 1

Folk forget that we tried to sign Ofere, JJ Hooper was on trial. Others have been mentioned. I'm sure others went for. According to Hughes in the above interview (quoted in OP) we had one arranged for last Monday but were let down. 

It's not like the club haven't been actively trying.