Taking Stock

Harry Chibber

We were always going to have a hangover from the club's most successful season in our history but there has been a huge turnover in players so after D-Day this is our lot - 

2014/15 Losses

• Billy Mckay - £150k (January) - Striker
  • Graeme Shinnie - PCA - Left Back 
  • Edward Ofere - Free transfer - Striker 
  • Nick Ross - PCA - Versatile Midfielder
  • Marley Watkins - PCA - Forward/Winger
  • Tarmo Kink - Free transfer - Forward/Winger 
  • Ryan Christie - £600k (best estimate) - Versatile Midfielder/Forward

Other losses earlier in the season Pepper, Greenhalgh & Sekajja (a few others but not first team players)

2015/16 Gains

• Dani Lopez (free transfer from from La Roda) - Striker
  • Jordan Roberts (free transfer from Aldershot) - Versatile Midfielder 
  • Nathaniel Wedderburn (free transfer from Cowdenbeath) - Holding Midfielder
  • Owain Fon Williams (free transfer from Tranmere) - Goalkeeper
  • Iain Vigurs (free transfer from Inverurie Locos) - Versatile Midfielder 
  • Andrea Mbuyi-Mutombo (free transfer from ÉFC Fréjus Saint-Raphaël) - Forward/Winger 
  • Tobi Sho-Silva (6 month loan from Charlton) - Midfield/Forward
  • Miles Storey (6 month loan from Swindon) - Striker
  • Ryan Christie (Season loan with option to recall) - Versatile Midfielder/Forward

Difficult to judge positions as a lot of the new guys have still to pull on a shirt but from the above we are actually up on numbers from last year with an additional keeper and holding midfielder.  For me the main difference is the quality and experience we have lost but you could argue, from what we have seen so far, Vigurs and Fon Williams would have competed for a position in last years squad. From what I've seen and read Mutombo, Wedderburn and Roberts (in friendlies) have all shown glimpses of quality.  I still think that Lopez could be a good signing for us but it is fair to say that he has not hit the ground running.  It's not new for us to pick players out of obscurity in the English lower leagues and let them make a name for themselves with ICT but it does annoy me that for the money that was earned last year we have failed to sign anyone with a decent record or any real experience at this level.  It is not as if we didn't know this was coming so where were the contingency plans? Do we have scouts actively making enquiries to present an affordable list of candidates to Yogi and if so, was this the best that could be achieved with funding available? Or have the board refused to make funds available?

At the same time if the board had over-reacted and made a panic buy last night which didn't work out then they would be under more scrutiny and out of pocket.    

I hope that the board use the next 6 months wisely because there is now no excuse for lack of investment and with only 5 players signed to 2017, I expect a lot of new contracts to be handed out in the coming months and a signing in January to get the fans excited.  I think the majority fans are grateful and take a lot of pride that we do things the 'right way' by not over spending beyond our means but the time has come to loosen the purse-strings just a bit. 

In the meantime hopefully injuries ease up and the new signings hit the ground running because this is our lot. 

Onwards and upwards. 

• Agree 7

Couldn't' agree more! There must surely be a hefty reserve fund after last season's exploits. Do we not receive a payment from UEFA for our exploits this year I'm sure it's in the region of 200K, (perhaps we get this at the end of the season!). We must also have some dosh left over from the Scottish Cup (Again we must have made at least 500K!) . Hope the Board are willing to splash out in January (if need be!) 

The cash from UEFA is approximately half of what you suggest. Just enough to convert what would have been a significant deficit on our European venture into a very modest five figure profit. The net figure from our cup win is substantial but a good bit short of half a million.

Edited by Kingsmills

just throwing it out there ... and I dont know the numbers, but dont forget that we operate on modest wages but our win bonuses have always been pretty reasonable so whatever we made in 'profit' for the cup(s) may have been considerably smaller than many of us expect. AGM will be coming up soon so the accounts will be out soon. 

Taking stock: that was a terrible last 2 transfer windows for us. We were probably a victim of our own success, leading to the loss of quality players like Mckay, Shinnie, Watkins, Ross, Christie, but I have been underwhelemed by the new players that I have seen so far (looking forward to seeing Roberts, though) and baffled by the recruitment of so many midfielders when strikers and defenders are what we so desparately need.

It is so important to secure premiership status as early as possible in order to plan effectively for next year (with decent offers for the likes of Draper and Williams, Fon Williams maybe?) so that we have the spine of the team in place before the next window comes along. Back to longer contracts, please!

• Agree 1

I don't think there will be any players coming in in January, I think the 6 months deals are to get us through the horrible injury list we have.
Getting some of these guys back fit and well may be like a new signing for the team.

My only real concern is that we have so many players out of contract at the end of the season.  We have a lot of players I'd like to see us keep at the club.
If the board realise many of us think this is a concern.  I am sure they do and that they know what they are doing but I'd still like to see some contracts being renewed/extended.

I'd like to see points on the board too but that's another matter!

• Agree 1