Inverness CT -V- Hearts

Scotty

I didn't go to the game tonight (  not  safe on the A9 at night I am told ) Watched it on the box, I find it much more stressful than being at the games.

It,s quite good though to see the game from different angles. One realises how difficult the referees job is.

Just really  great to get a win. I really thought Hearts would be tough to beat.

Watched the NFL last night to put it in to perspective if their players went down as easily as soccer players, they would never finish a game.

In the back of mind I was wondering if we were relegation fodder.

Edited by Laurence

The Hearts player got himself sent off. Over reaction by our player - yes, but if you push a clenched fist into someone's face then you are running the risk of a red card. 

Yes, I suppose so, but I still say Tobi 'bought' the red card for the Hearts player as the 'clenched fist' would not have knocked over a fly.   Unacceptable gamesmanship by Tobi  in my book.   If Gary Cornish goes down as easily as that in his big fight tomorrow, the fight will be over within 30 seconds!

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Rubbish first half. Second half seemed to be much more open and a bit more excitement. Quality bit if play from Christie to get by the Hearts defenders and a nice cross for Vincent who really couldn't miss. Draper should have put us 2 - 0 up but a combination of not being able to pass to an offside looking Storey and having no idea why he was so far forward in the first place led to the chance going begging. Definite red for the Hearts lad although Sho Silva did go down about five weeks after he was hit. Alexander knew he was likely to be sent off and tried to move him away from the incident but the linesman had clocked it. After that Hearts lost their shit and started hacking at pretty much any ICT player they could get near. Nice finish from Storey to seal the game. Probably should have passed to Sho Silva but he did well to find the net.

Despite the win I didn't think we were that great. Defensively we looked pretty poor especially in the first half despite Meekings being back however we definitely improved in the second half. Storey looked decent without really offering too much until the end. However I was impressed with his energy, pace and presence up front. Something we haven't had at all to date. We struggled in midfield for a fair bit as well and seemed to find it hard to break Hearts down. Christie didn't really create much and I didn't feel like Williams and Vincent offered us much width (for obvious reasons) but very happy to get the three points. Good Hearts support up the road despite the KO time. Must have been something like 1,200 - 1,500 there.

• Agree 1

Enjoyed that tonight. Much more solid shape with players back in natural positions. Worked hard pressing when not on the ball. And a clean sheet is always welcome. Now we just need draws all round in the SPL tomorrow to gain some ground on everyone.

• Agree 1

I really enjoyed going to the game tonight. The atmosphere at the stadium was great, partly due to the number of supporters Hearts brought with them, but mostly because our own support were really getting behind the team. The team seemed fresh and revived and it's good to read all the debate on this thread about who the main players were - plenty to choose from. I'm especially pleased for all the new season ticket holders who must have been wondering about their investment till now. It also made a pleasant change to have a ref. who didn't hate us!

• Agree 5

Good to see Meekings and Vincent back and new boy Storey certainly justified his starting place.  Getting Draper back to his usual position gave us more bite in midfield and helped make Tansey a bit more effective again.  With Tremarco back at Left back Williams was freed up  to a more attacking role and with the new lads coming in there is now serious competition for places despite the on-going injuries.

But for me, the most pleasing thing about tonight's performance was the way we defended the lead.  After a spell of Hearts pressure we made a couple of attack minded substitutions and a proper game of football broke out.  Rather than just sit deep and absorb the pressure (or, far too often, fail to absorb the pressure) we went looking for a 2nd goal and were rewarded with an excellent finish by Storey.  After a dismal first half we got some fan friendly footy and the crowd responded accordingly.  Let's have more of the same, please!

• Agree 5

The first half was the usual possession sideways back not achieving anything although a visitor from Canada sitting next to me at his first football game thought the passing was good.  He said we would have luck tonight and he was right, the second half was pure football!  We are at our best attacking and looked good going forward all the time 2 cracking goals and it could have been more.  Jagster said before the game he thought we were on for a win tonight before the game and he was right.  Looking forward to our next game now!

Well Fonz Willie had little to do - the back four were solid enuff - Josh got ground MOM but that was a sympathy vote as he had a dreadful first 45. Draper had a great first half but went defensive. Tansey had some great touches in the second but was very disappointing. Williams and Christie worked their socks off but looked lightweight. Vincent scored but did not offer much. Storey is green but he is ver fit already, very mobile and pacy. I wondered if he had a finish in him but he showed that with the goal. If he keeps confident then away from home he could be VERY dangerous. Not so shure about Hi Ho Silver but he will never be a Lone Ranger. Vigurs to me was class and should be starting - give Tansey a rest.

was it not Vincent that got motm at ground?

Feel like our season started tonight. Terrible first half. Yogi obviously said right things at half-time. Draper should have finished off the game before the sending off but probably dealing with a nose bleed. Don't know how the ball stayed out later on too when on the line. Good finish from Storey after lots of positive energy ... and I do believe I saw Dave the Rave skill past 3 players. We're on the up :) Good times. 

Well Fonz Willie had little to do - the back four were solid enuff - Josh got ground MOM but that was a sympathy vote as he had a dreadful first 45. Draper had a great first half but went defensive. Tansey had some great touches in the second but was very disappointing. Williams and Christie worked their socks off but looked lightweight. Vincent scored but did not offer much. Storey is green but he is ver fit already, very mobile and pacy. I wondered if he had a finish in him but he showed that with the goal. If he keeps confident then away from home he could be VERY dangerous. Not so shure about Hi Ho Silver but he will never be a Lone Ranger. Vigurs to me was class and should be starting - give Tansey a rest.

was it not Vincent that got motm at ground?

Yes Vincent

Great result after a dire first half. Liked Storey, he looked quite quick and took his goal well.  Maybe he'll be the finisher we've been missing.  What great work by Christie for Vincent's goal too.   Pleased for Tansey that he re established himself  and got MOM after a couple of below par performances.

Only downside for me was our other new boy, Tobi Sho-Silva getting the Hearts player sent off.   Many of us still remember how we felt when scum bag Neil  Lennon did something similar to Juanjo many years ago. So, for me, Tobi can feck off back to Charlton if he thinks that is acceptable.

Apart from that a great win which should do our confidence no end of good.

I'll reckon you watched that on the tele, didn't see what was a clear punch (and it wasn't the first) and can be excused for your "downside" drivel. Utterly uncalled for.

• Agree 2

I thought by the end of the game everyone on the park justified being there. 

The defence looked solid, raven was superb, Devine looked more comfortable at RCB, meekings looked shaky to being with but certainly got back into it very quickly and tremarco done what he could to replicate last years left back!

Draper was man of the match for me, was calm all game made a couple of defence splitting runs and his only fault was getting excited when he had that great chance! I thought Tansey struggled in the first half but like I've said previously it was due to lack of movement. In the second half he started his long range passing and covered well a few times when tremarco had pushed on.

williams was always a threat but bar one great cross, he just couldn't quite far enough forward. Christie was influential in both halfs, dropped to deep in the first half but probably had the most touches and kept the ball moving but his second half performance was different altogether, running at defenders, forward passing and a superb piece of play for his assist. Vincent looks like he needs a game or 2 to get back into his game but in the second half especially he pushed further on and worked well with Raven...plus he got into a great position for his goal! 

And for the first time in many many years, i got excited watching our debut striker. Previous strikers took long enough to settle, our new guy was a different Storey. He was fast, plenty of energy, made those runs, and stayed central which got him his well taken goal....we finally have a striker (for 3 months at least!).

our subs also looked confident, vigurs was his in his normal area, that 10m by 10m patch of grass yet still looked like on of those through balls were gonna open the defence. And Sho-Silva won nearly every Arial challenge, few good runs and held the ball up. Not sure wat the incident with the Hearts boy was about. 

• Agree 3

Great to get the win, not a classic and plenty work to do but vast improvement for all to see. Storey looks like he'll be an asset up front and Silva looks a handful.

Good to see the treatment room slowly emptying, Meekings bit rusty first half but expected.

Thought Vigurs had a good game when he came on and happy with Draper back in his preferred position.

It was never in doubt, we would turn the corner :wink:

:ictscarf:

Had forgotten what it felt like to wake up after a win! Trying not to get carried away, I'll start by saying that Hearts were poor. They had a spell of pressure in each half and failed to create a single clear-cut opportunity. As for ICT, it is amazing what a difference bringing back Meekings had. Not only did it mean we had a top class centre half in the team, but it also allowed Big Drapes to do what he does best in midfield. Then we added a striker with energy and Bingo! Christie had a hot and cold game, but his run and cross for the goal was pure class! Vincent was immense: great to have him back! I thought Tobi was excellent. At the time, I thought he might be in trouble for simulation, but seeing the replay he definitely got clocked on the nose. Hate players going down like a sack of tatties, but the guy threw a punch, so red card was right. I get the impression Tobi's a wind-up merchant: did you see his sarcastic applause to Paterson when he mis-controlled?! Loved his pace and power in the air. All in all, far, far more positive!

• Agree 1

The sending off was simple. If Silva didn't go down Oshaniwa would have stayed on the pitch for punching another player. The rules are very simple. You can't punch another player and he needed to make the ref aware of that

Can't agree. Yes there was contact and if the ref sees it it's a red card but there was never anything like enough contact to send him down. That was pure gamesmanship. I realise it's part of the modern game but I'd rather not see our players indulge in it.

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 2

The sending off was simple. If Silva didn't go down Oshaniwa would have stayed on the pitch for punching another player. The rules are very simple. You can't punch another player and he needed to make the ref aware of that

Can't agree. Yes there was contact and if the ref sees it it's a red card but there was never anything like enough contact to send him down. That was pure gamesmanship. I realise it's part of the modern game but I'd rather not see our players indulge in it.

In the same breath you could say Christie should always stay on his feet.

It just makes it easier for the ref to make a decision when a foul had been committed.

Its pretty clear in the bbc highlights.

• Agree 1

Agree 100% - not good to see at all.

Great to see after taking the lead, we kept pressing for another goal and didn't just try to defend / sit on the lead.

2nd half was a great improvement on the 1st (not just because we scored!).

Spare me the sanctimony. If you raise your hands to an opponents face and the referee/ assistant sees it, you are off - rules of the game. It was a clear punch. Neil Alexander called it right last night - he was screaming at Oshinwa, calling him a "stupid ba****d - you can't do that here" as he pulled him away. Unlike Chris Sutton, who reckons that modern players can't handle being punched and others here who reckon "if he was in a boxing ring he wouldn't last 30 seconds" Fair point but it's a football pitch he was on, not canvas. Correct decision, no fault attached to Silva.

• Agree 7

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic