Accrington Stanley and Eyemouth Utd

Yngwie

With Accrington back in the news after their promotion, I saw an article about their team just prior to the club's disappearance back in the 60s.

Most of them were Scots, but what surprised me was that one of them was apparently signed from Eyemouth United, after he played a key role getting them to the Scottish Cup Quarter Finals.

Did this really happen?! Or has the journalist got mixed up? I thought Elgin were the only non-league team to get that far.

I'm somebody from the Old Folks Home can clarify.

I'm fvcking chuffed to bits that AS are back in the league. I was only 32 when they got chucked out (the bottom four of the old Fourth Division had to re-apply for election in those days but it always went through on the nod... until Accrington). The club then folded after one further season in the Lancashire Combination but in 1968, a bunch of die hards re-invented the team and they've spent the last 38 years progressing their way back up the minor leagues. Thye didn't even get into the Conference until three years ago so all credit to them.

Now... whatever happened to Gateshead...?

Just been looking into the Eyemouth thing - they were regulars in the Scottish Cup in that era (as were loads of bizarre wee teams) and did indeed reach the Q/F in 1960 (a bye, then home wins againt Albion and Cowdenbeath before losing to Killie). Another year they went to Parkhead and only lost 3-0 to Jock Stein's team.

A couple of years earlier, I noticed that Caley knocked out "Babcock and Wilcox".....hardly surprising if they only fielded 2 players.