Yogi's Contract

Pele_Is_God

Remember the last manager that left us for Dundee United, the grass isn't always greener!  I hope he is settled up here with his young family in secondary school.

From what I've gathered from interviews and stuff, Hughes's family were (and presumably still are) based in Edinburgh (or around that area).  On the face of it, the Dundee United (or Motherwell job for that matter) would be commutable from his home.  In saying that though, United look to be becoming a similar club to what Hibs became prior to Butcher going there, a big club but a poisoned chalice on a downward spiral.  I guess it could be argued that a less demanding club like Motherwell would be a more attractive place to go.

I am not surprised that John is being "linked with other jobs", he, like Tommy Wright is a Scottish Cup winner and has done a " marvellous job with a smaller club " and wouldn't cost that much in terms of compensation but do I think he will go? Unfortunately I do because he would like "another challenge " with better wages than Kenny would offer.   I know that he is "content at Inverness" but I really fear that he would be persuaded to go, it worked with Jackie McNamara so I am sure Stephen would try again, this time with John.

I do concede that ONE DAY John will leave us but would hope its later on in his career.

Well you've changed your tune.  You were started a thread calling for him to be sacked on P&B a few weeks back!

• Agree 1

Sometimes I laugh when I look on this forum, now the rush and concern as to why Yogi isnt on a longer contract, why he has to stay when only weeks ago with our slow start to the season even after winning a SC & best ever league finish there were calls to sack him - his signing policy was guff, tactics and team selection wrong and in the eyes of some still isnt the right man for ICT.

• Agree 1

If Yogi decided that Dundee United was the next career step for him then I wouldn't begrudge him with a move there. In my opinion, he would leave us as a club legend for providing the club with: 

• Scottish Cup 
  • European Football
  • Highest League Position Finish
  • Helping our top youth product secure a move to Celtic
  • Exciting brand of football

From the outlook, Dundee United doesn't look like an attractive job given the turmoil that Jackie McNamara suffered however I do think it's a job that could be a very attractive one too. Dundee United's youth academy is something with John Hughes's style of play and coaching, he could end up developing multiple Ryan Christies. There is obviously the apprehension of leaving Inverness just by looking at Terry Butcher for example. If he is given time and allowed persistence, I reckon John Hughes could be a great appointment for Dundee United and I'm seriously not surprised that they are considering him. 

With that being said, I personally can't see Yogi wanting to leave Inverness and reading the article on BBC just backs it up for me. End of the day, the environment that Inverness provides John is something that works well for not only him but also us. One thing that he always hammers home is about grafting and team spirit, that's something I don't think would come so easily from the set go at Dundee United. Yogi could quite easily go to Tannadice and say we are going to play like Barcelona and they had a similar slump to what we had during our transitional period, they would be far less tolerant than we were. 

One could argue, what's next for Yogi to achieve with Caley Thistle? In my opinion, he has much more that he can achieve with Inverness.  Although, he has reached a high point with us before, there's no harm in aiming for higher and better things.

Going forward from here, I agree with other posters that he should be offered a new contract which in my opinion should have been given to him after winning the Scottish Cup. If we learned anything from the Butcher saga, is that stability is key.

• Agree 6

Brilliant post ICTRoughi...!
Yeah, no surprise to see Dundee United 'sniffing around' our manager! Obviously I've no idea if Yogi and Kenny Cameron have held negotiations regarding a contract extension, but this reported interest may just be the catalyst needed to tie something up and keep hold of Hughes!
But perhaps, behind-the-scenes, talks have been held and John Hughes (knowing that his 'stock' is high) has held-out for an improved offer - aware that almost inevitably, a rival club would come in with a request to speak to him at some stage. He can now leverage the 'threat' (of leaving) to his advantage financially, to secure the remuneration he feels he's worth.

I find myself genuinely ambivalent as to whether JH signs a new contract with us or moves to Dundee United who, despite not being the force they once were, would be in a position to offer him a 50% increase in his own personal salary and in his player budget.

If he opts to stay and sign a new deal then we have a manager who has proved a few doubters, including this poster, wrong and who will be a safe enough pair of hands going forward.

If he decides to go then we have replaced better, if not necessarily more successful, managers in the past and am sure that the club will continue to progress and move forward in his absence with his name indelibly etched on our honours board as the first but, in due course, not the only manager to guide us to a major trophy.

For these reasons I don't want him to go but will not be unduly upset if he does. The only manager I ever actively wanted to go was Craig Brewster (second coming) and the only managers I was ever particularly sorry to see leaving were Pele and Robbo.

Management teams come and go and our club continues to progress and prosper. It will be the same this time if Yogi decides that he prefers tangerines to Subway sandwiches.

• Agree 1

Sorry, why is helping one of our players secure a move to Celtic seen as a reason for considering Hughes as a club legend?

It's not the move and destination that makes him a club legend, I was meaning more along the lines that John Hughes' influence  helped our top product make a higher move. Would Ryan Christie still be a Celtic player today if Terry Butcher was still manager - I'm not so sure. 

• Agree 1

No I agree with you it's just your earlier post sounded like that the fact that he sold a good player to Celtic was (part of) the reason he should be considered an ICT legend which I wouldn't agree with.

I also agree with your point about him being offered a new deal and that this should have been done after the Cup Final win. However as we all know the club doesn't seem to be overly proactive when handing out new contracts save for a short period a couple of years back when the likes of Warren and Doran (I think) signed up on new long-ish deals.

Edited by RiG
  • Agree 1

Sorry, why is helping one of our players secure a move to Celtic seen as a reason for considering Hughes as a club legend?

It's not the move and destination that makes him a club legend, I was meaning more along the lines that John Hughes' influence  helped our top product make a higher move. Would Ryan Christie still be a Celtic player today if Terry Butcher was still manager - I'm not so sure. 

Ryan Christie has a natural talent and would have attracted a move to a 'big' club whoever was manager..

Ryan Christie has a natural talent and would have attracted a move to a 'big' club whoever was manager..

Yeah, of course. Let's not forget though that John Hughes provided Ryan that platform to showcase his talent and nurture him to the next level. Would he have made the same breakthrough with Terry Butcher? I seriously doubt it. The problem with Butcher for me was that he had the same set of players that he would religiously stick to. I recall Sam Winnall slating him for that very reason. 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

Would not have mattered who was manager, RC would have ended up there anyway given his Dad's connection to them, his own fondness for them, and their history of snapping up any decent young players in Scotland only to have (most of) them sit on the bench for a few years before rekindling their careers elsewhere. 

Hughes' achievements at ICT are worthy of an extended contract, but as noted earlier in the thread, how do we know that's not on the table already? Just because its not on the internet doesn't mean it does not exist. He also sounds happy with his lot right now ... and the autonomy that he gets to do his own thing at ICT ... something that more than one manager who has left us for so-called greener pastures has found is not the case elsewhere.

He would do well to look at what happened to Paterson, Robbo, Brewster, and Butcher when they left us. There is more to life than money (although it is nice) and a happy work environment where you can always be looking to achieve something more is almost certainly better than the various toxic cesspits with unrealistic expectations and deep rooted 'office politics' that our former managers have found themselves in ......   

• Agree 1

Would not have mattered who was manager, RC would have ended up there anyway given his Dad's connection to them, his own fondness for them, and their history of snapping up any decent young players in Scotland only to have (most of) them sit on the bench for a few years before rekindling their careers elsewhere. 

Hughes' achievements at ICT are worthy of an extended contract, but as noted earlier in the thread, how do we know that's not on the table already? Just because its not on the internet doesn't mean it does not exist. He also sounds happy with his lot right now ... and the autonomy that he gets to do his own thing at ICT ... something that more than one manager who has left us for so-called greener pastures has found is not the case elsewhere.

He would do well to look at what happened to Paterson, Robbo, Brewster, and Butcher when they left us. There is more to life than money (although it is nice) and a happy work environment where you can always be looking to achieve something more is almost certainly better than the various toxic cesspits with unrealistic expectations and deep rooted 'office politics' that our former managers have found themselves in ......   

Sadly the fans are seldom told anything about things going on at the club who aren't exactly forthcoming with information so I doubt we would ever find out anyway (that said offering a contract wouldn't be the kind of thing a club would announce unless it was signed). I would certainly like to think that we are more proactive in offering new deals than we seem to be but given how often we lose talented players for free or cut price transfers because their contracts are winding down it's hard to believe that we are.

Anyway, we've apparently said that there has been no approach which, mindful of the above, is welcome news: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/inverness-caley-insist-theres-been-6548541

I would be surprised if Dundee United and Motherwell were not interested in the holder of Manager of the Year! JH would undoubtedly earn more at United than here, so that might interest him. However, as Butcher learned before him, going from a successful club to a "sleeping giant" on the slide carries considerable risks. I think there are similarities between United and Hibs at that time: A mess in the background and an unhappy squad. I suspect that JH will use this as leverage to get a deal sorted for himself here - it would be a massive risk to go to Tayside.

• Agree 1

As good as Yogi's results have been for us, let's not forget that the team was already assembled before he got here. If he'd had to build from scratch, would he have been so successful? There's no doubt that we have improved under his stewardship, but how much of that improvement would have come no matter who was in charge? Young players generally get better with age and experience and most of our players were in their early and mid twenties and yet to peak. Those players were already competing at the top of the league and getting to the later stages of cups under Butcher. The absence of Rangers, Hearts and Hibs, and auspiciously timed collapse of United and Motherwell also worked in our favour. There are so many factors behind success and failure in football. Simply crediting or blaming the manager is too simplistic.

This isn't an attempt to discredit Yogi Hughes achievements. His record speaks for itself. But credit must be shared. Butcher, Malpas, Marsella and the mythical 'talent agency' built the squad. Duncan Shearer and Scott Kellacher steadied the ship. The board sifted through a wad of applications and bravely picked the unfashionable Yogi Hughes against prevailing opinion, then Russell Latapy. The players grafted hard to a man and did the business on the pitch when it mattered. It's a team game at the end of the day and everyone at the club has played their part.  

To me the clearest reason for Yogi to stay is purely for football reasons. All the foundations are in place now and his work is baring fruit. His philosophy / blueprint has finally been achieved. Previous clubs didn't give him the time, previous players didn't take it on board. Fans laughed when he spoke about emulating Barcelona. Not anymore. Last year Yogi Hughes finally reached the Guardiola-esque football Utopia he's always been striving for. The question shouldn't be whether he can go back to square 1, start again, and repeat it in a radically different environment with another clubs players. The question should be, now that his philosophy has been successfully bedded in at a club - how far can he take it? There's plenty of time to go and start over somewhere else further down the line. He's onto something special at Inverness. These could be the best years of his career. If he walked away now, he might look back and wonder what might have been.

• Agree 1

Am I in the minority that recognise that any successful ICT Manager will undoubtedly be linked with managerial positions elsewhere at "bigger" clubs of which there are many in regard to finances, facilities and support - both from the personal and professional aspects of the game. And I would go out on a limb and state that in many ways Yogi has been the most approachable, affable, honest and likeable manager that we have ever had - I mean in the history of Inverness football. And his "record" last year will take some beating EVER, At least he takes "hits" for poor performances and does not project the blame on others in the media and appears to keep it strictly fer the dressing room. And I am unsure if he was at fault about the missing striker saga. Given the loss of star players and injuries to recover as we have is a mega performance as well - and who knows what is to come. Of course he has made his fair share of debatable selections and suspect tactical directions BUT that is part and parcel of the game. Perhaps he is stubborn and tunnel minded at times but Yogi has surpassed his predecessors. Would be great to see him show some loyalty to the support and people of Sneck but if he chooses to go then he will be remembered fondly.

And that is some accolade coming from me :crazy:

• Agree 4