Yogi's Contract

Pele_Is_God

Excellent advice from a P & J columnist below ... the board needs to take heed ... why delay/prevaricate ... offer Yogi a better/longer contract now ... he's alluded to that in the press himself as being what he'd like ... if United don't get him/want him, another club is bound to sniff around sooner or later. 

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/inverness-caledonian-thistle/717068/andy-skinner-john-hughes-dundee-united-caley-thistle-need-keep-man/

• Agree 3

While the board generally do a good job, one area of weakness is around contracts. John should have been offered a contract, or at least discussions started over this by now. Same as for the players out of contract at the end of the season. These talks need to get under way for manager and players as soon as possible and if they don't, and we lose the manager and players, the board need to take a long hard look at themselves. I await developments with interest but at the moment, not filled with much hope by the board.

• Agree 3

Yogi has always been quite cagey when discussing how long he would like to stay up here and is careful in interviews not to commit himself - he even touts Richie as a prospective future manager from time to time . Although the lifestyle seems to suit him (he looks much healthier than when he arrived) and he says enjoys working with everyone at ICT, I suspect that he also misses his family and he does get frustrated at the financial constraints involved in keeping players here. I would imagine, if he is like the rest of us, he also has one eye on the potential wage packets elsewhere.

Who really knows what goes on in the ICT boardroom, but I'm sure that some of the same people who can't understand why a contract extension is not already all sewn up, are also those who doubted his abilities a few weeks ago.

However, the Curse of Caley Thistle is something that  cannot be dismissed too easily when Yogi looks to the future.:ohmy:

• Agree 5

While the board generally do a good job, one area of weakness is around contracts. John should have been offered a contract, or at least discussions started over this by now. Same as for the players out of contract at the end of the season. These talks need to get under way for manager and players as soon as possible and if they don't, and we lose the manager and players, the board need to take a long hard look at themselves. I await developments with interest but at the moment, not filled with much hope by the board.

Definitely seems to be an ICT weakness. Think I saw David Raven (our Cup semi hero no less) being quoted in the press recently saying that he hopes a contract doesn't take so long to get sorted the end of this season as it did last season. A bit fed up of us always appearing 1. Reactive instead of proactive in sourcing good people/players and 2. Not securing them better once they are here. 

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

"Weakness is contracts"

they had foresight to have an option to extend Chrities contract otherwise he would have left for nothing in January

they had foresight to have a compensation clause in John Hughes contract 

D Utd cannot even speak to Jh until May 2016 unless club allows it 

we now know Mackay,  Shinnie,Watkins were all offered contract extensions but refused them 

where is the weakness??

unless of course you mean they didn't offer enough money - now that is another matter such as how much can Ictfc afford to pay players ?

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

Surely a lesson was learned from Christie transfer had we signed him on a longer contract or even the years extension then we would have got a lot more money for him so the same applies to Hughes get him on another 3 year contract , so if he goes in the future at least we can get some good compensation

• Agree 2

When all is said and done,

Yogi has to want to sign another contract here

and

If he is signed up for the long term, will that commit the club to continuing to pay him even if he fails to come up with the goods and they decide to sack him at any point?

All over the papers today that Yogi is the next target for United. If the board want to keep him they have to follow St J's lead and offer him a contract: It's what he's hinted at in the press. If they don't, he'll be gone and we'll face an unsettled spell....just as we were getting our act together on the pitch!

• Agree 2

"Weakness is contracts"

they had foresight to have an option to extend Chrities contract otherwise he would have left for nothing in January

they had foresight to have a compensation clause in John Hughes contract 

D Utd cannot even speak to Jh until May 2016 unless club allows it 

we now know Mackay,  Shinnie,Watkins were all offered contract extensions but refused them 

where is the weakness??

unless of course you mean they didn't offer enough money - now that is another matter such as how much can Ictfc afford to pay players ?

The so called 'option to extend' is not enforceable. Do you think that if he effectively had two years left on his contract we would have sold him in the Summer for as little as half a million ?

Nor could he have left for nothing in January, firstly, because he could only sign a pre contract to leave in the summer but, unless a fee was agreed for an immediate transfer, would have been obliged to stay to the end of the season and, secondly, because we would be due a development fee albeit a modest one.

That said, given that he only had a year left on his contract that we could enforce, getting £500,000 for him and having him back at least until January was not a bad bit of business,

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 2

The simple fact is yogi cannot reject a contract that's hasn't been offered! If the club put down a first offer then it'll give him something to think about should he decide to talk to dun Utd...does he accept the contract, gain at least a little stability and carry on the great job he's done so far or does he accept a contract from utd and face being out of a job and no wages in a 8 months should it not go to plan done there! 

Yogi might also reject Utd for any number of reasons but that does not mean we're keeping him...so at the end of the day I think the board should be putting a contract offer on the table and work at it from there.

in terms of contracts for players I do think we should be offering players,that are the back bone of the team, contracts so we're not yet again keeping fingers crossed through January! 

The simple fact is yogi cannot reject a contract that's hasn't been offered! If the club put down a first offer then it'll give him something to think about should he decide to talk to dun Utd...does he accept the contract, gain at least a little stability and carry on the great job he's done so far or does he accept a contract from utd and face being out of a job and no wages in a 8 months should it not go to plan done there! 

Yogi might also reject Utd for any number of reasons but that does not mean we're keeping him...so at the end of the day I think the board should be putting a contract offer on the table and work at it from there.

in terms of contracts for players I do think we should be offering players,that are the back bone of the team, contracts so we're not yet again keeping fingers crossed through January! 

What makes you believe that the manager has not been offered a new contract ?

What makes you believe that the manager has not been offered a new contract ?

Of course it won't be in the public domain if he has been offered a contract however John Hughes stated after Saturday that he wasn't in a rush to talk about a new contract which would suggest to me he hasn't. 

• Agree 1

Being offered a contract is easy-prays. It depends on WHAT is offered. Then the ones being offered can make comparisons to offers from elsewhere. Yogi has remarked about "losing" players due to the content of offers AND as with previous managers he has witnessed the tightness of the board and the complete reluctance to take any risks. We unfortunately will always be a selling production outfit. BUT at least we have been a rather successful one. There has always been that togetherness aspect in ICT and hopefully that is a formula that will remain. Personally I believe Yogi would be a fool not to agree to an Arabs offer.

Yep would have to agree, that even now

Yogi will be thinking of ways NOT of accepting an offer to double his salary.

It kinda looks ominous..... but as already stated on forums ICT is not made up of one individual

As has been shown in the past with other managers if he goes he may end up missing us more than  vice versa.