MacShaun of the dead

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That is a great image! I'm not sure if it's an early colour photo or an altered black and white or what? It appears to pre-date the mid 30s because you can see what I take to be the bridge which came before the present one, which in turn dates from around 1934. You can see Holm Woollen Mills in the background but not a lot else then. And of course it's far too early for Torvean Golf Course to be there or the Rugby Clubhouse. The houses on Glenurquhart Road also look in an early stage of development and you can also see on the far mid-left that it's also too early for the original 1950s Queens Park track to be present. However the part of the Queens Park beside Glenurquhart Road looks largely as it did until a few months ago when construction of the West Link began.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to go there on a dark winter's night to skate on the pond there. I had to trek in a foot of snow along the canal bank from Dunain Road .These nights were memorable.

Once I figured that I would cross the road to Loch Na Shanish to skate there as well, caught my skate on a buried twig in the ice, catapulted forward and woke up goodness knows how many minutes or half-hours later , dazed but finding only blood on my face .Good job I was only a light little boy or falling through the ice at either location was always a possibility. I guess ignorance is bliss in situations like this. The ice ponds were deserted so falling through was probably very dangerous and the water must have been freezing cold. Hypothermia would have set in very quickly indeed so aren't you all so glad that old SP made it through the hazards of youth.:crazy:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yep IBM--  thanks for the comment.  That's it all right. I remember the wee road on the right and the canal banks. which were , seemingly, always under snow when SP went skating. I also remember the wee grassy/snowy bank that led down from the road onto the ice. Sob I'm getting tearie-eyed.

Was SP a good skater-? hardly he fell twice in an ice rink in Edinburgh in his teens and cracked his hip.

Mind you, the old skates I wore in them thar days were more useful for ice dancing than ice skating at 2 mph and no doubt ,if I had the skates used by ice hockey players the noo, I would have been brilliant. Truth to tell it never happened, I just enjoyed the outdoors and the exercise.  Now I enjoy  it if I can get up int der morgen without pain frae mah bed  and arrive at the bathroom in good shape. :wink:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...