Dani Lopez

WYNESS101

Agree with Renegade on this issue. Unfortunately Dani Lopez just couldn't cut it at Caley Thistle. He could very well be technically gifted but he couldn't produce that on a consistent basis. Yes, credit him on the goal at Parkhead however they were cruising and took the foot of the gas, but still a good goal I admit. What soured my opinion on Lopez was the spitting incident in a U20s match, I genuinely can't believe a 31 year old would gob a Teenager - digusting behaviour. 

I won't lose any sleep over his departure, especially with Alex Fisher being brought in. 

• Agree 5

6 hours ago, AlexJones said:

Harsh words Renegade. The man did his best, but it just didn't work out. He never regained his place after a faltering start where he was clearly not match fit. I feel he's been scapegoated somewhat for the teams collective poor start to the season. Sad news for him and his young family having uprooted themselves from Spain to move here. As the pundits would say 'there's definitely a player in there somewhere.' We saw flashes of it, but sadly not enough. I was hoping to see him get another run out at some point at TCS to redeem himself, but sadly it never materialised. Hope he gives us a decent reference and his experience doesn't deter other prospective Spanish signings. He'll always have his 2 Europa appearances and goal at Celtic Park to look back on.

He didn't try his best at all, he looked liked he couldn't be bothered and bereft of any drive.  He may very well have been gifted but the only thing of note (bar a consolation goal against Celtic) was the spitting incident in a reserve game.  Spitting on a teenager no-matter what the circumstances was awful and brought some coverage we could've done without.  No doubt we'll see him on some of the 'Worst Ever Player' threads in years to come.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 3

It just didnt work for Lopez, the game here was too fast and physical, he started in 7 games mainly at the start of the season but never seemed to get into the matches or showed improvement. His spitting incident sadly will be why he is remembered, perhaps frustration at how his season was going, perhaps niave to the change in culture but at his age should have known better. I hope the club made sure that he will be able to get back to Spain with his family and start afresh by doing the right thing when terminating his deal.

For all the harsh critisim of Lopez, I feel he still offered and gave more in games than Mutumbo who is still at the club, but with Silva and Lopez now gone this could be seen as an indication that Hughes/board made mistakes or was too hasty trying to get bodies in after not being proactive enough during the season,

He was just too slow and ponderous for this league, but clearly has a bit of skill.

A return to the lower levels of Spanish football might even enable him to score into double figures this season, just as Yogi promised!

8 hours ago, AlexJones said:

Harsh words Renegade. The man did his best, but it just didn't work out. He never regained his place after a faltering start where he was clearly not match fit. I feel he's been scapegoated somewhat for the teams collective poor start to the season. Sad news for him and his young family having uprooted themselves from Spain to move here. As the pundits would say 'there's definitely a player in there somewhere.' We saw flashes of it, but sadly not enough. I was hoping to see him get another run out at some point at TCS to redeem himself, but sadly it never materialised. Hope he gives us a decent reference and his experience doesn't deter other prospective Spanish signings. He'll always have his 2 Europa appearances and goal at Celtic Park to look back on.

We can't afford the luxury of continuing to play a player until they become good. Any flashes from Lopez were absolutely minimal and he always looked far too slow and cumbersome, frequently displaying a shocking lack of control of the football and turning over possession time after time. We cannot persevere with a player who was performing as poorly as that in the hope they suddenly become good. I'm sure he's a lovely guy, gobbing on fellow players aside, but the fact is that he was a very poor player and well out of his depth. You need only to look at how quickly Miles Storey has adapted to things to see when a player really does show flashes of talent.

Edited by RiG
  • Agree 5

These players who are leaving us were thrown in at the deep end on arrival here due to the loads of injuries Hughes had to contend with, I commend them for trying to fit in. to a style of football that got us up the league and the Scottish cup.

We had lost great players, Fans were screaming for signings, we were struggling on and off the field, A very difficult time for J H. He tried to bring strength into the team but was knocked back time and time again. We have now got the wounded reaching match fitness, we are turning the corner now.

A big thanks to these guys who have left us they did their best and kept us off the bottom-------------- nuff said

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

I'm really not sure what Lopez, Sho Silva and Mutombo have brought to the side.  Just the one goal between them and precious little else in the way of significant contributions to games.  Mutombo certainly looks to be the best of the 3 but seems to lack a bit of awareness of what's around him and he ends up making the wrong choices.  If only he could stick one or two away soon he could be a player for us but I can't see him being good enough to be a regular starter.

The next few months are going to be a testing time for the manager.  The outfield players he has brought in have been no great shakes. Wedderburn also looks like he is struggling at this level and it remains to be seen what Fisher and a hopefully fit again Roberts bring to the team.  With so many players with contracts up at the end of the season it seems likely that there will be a significant number of replacements to be brought in at some point and I worry that Yogi has yet to demonstrate the ability to find the kind of players his predecessors  were able to attract.  It is, of course, very difficult on the kind of budget available but that has always been the case.  To my mind, the key signings to make are extended contracts of most of the current squad. The sooner players can be tied into new contracts, the sooner we will be able to identify what kind of players we will be looking for next year.

• Agree 4

9 hours ago, Renegade said:

...  Spitting on a teenager no-matter what the circumstances was awful and brought some coverage we could've done without...

Since everyone else is at it just now:

"And these children that you spit on

As they try to change their worlds

Are immune to your consultations

They're quite aware of what they're going through

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes"

• 2 weeks later...

This seems to have passed under the radar, but on 13 January Dani signed for Arenas Club de Getxo, which is near Bilbao.

They got promoted to the Spanish 3rd flight last summer, and ground capacity is 1,200.

40 years ago their manager was a young Javier Clemente, who went on to manage Spain.

http://arenasclub.com/el-delantero-madrileno-dani-lopez-es-el-nuevo-refuerzo-del-arenas/

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

This seems to have passed under the radar, but on 13 January Dani signed for Arenas Club de Getxo, which is near Bilbao.

They got promoted to the Spanish 3rd flight last summer, and ground capacity is 1,200.

40 years ago their manager was a young Javier Clemente, who went on to manage Spain.

http://arenasclub.com/el-delantero-madrileno-dani-lopez-es-el-nuevo-refuerzo-del-arenas/

Another one to keep an eye on for 'ex ICT scorers'.  Or, maybe I won't hold my breath!