Partick Thistle -V- Inverness CT

Scotty

Peed off doesn't begin to describe it. 

We we scored early on, and for about 20 minutes were in control, passing and moving well when we had the ball, pressing when we didn't. Storey put us in front, Williams nearly added a second. There were another couple of decent efforts that were either blocked or flew wide, and Storey (I think) had another chance that he should have put away  

And then we let Partick back into the game. Fon Williams had a couple of good saves, before we completely switched off and allowed Partick to equalise. Someone (Meekings I think - given he got a bo11ocking from Fon Williams) was caught ball watching leaving Doolan completely free to score. 

The second half was pretty even, although Fon Williams had to tip the ball over the bar. We created some chances, but nothing as clear cut as in the first half. And then we did it again. Amateur defunding at a throw-in in the last minute allowed Stevenson to score. 

It used to be that if we didn't get the first goal, then we wouldn't win. It is now starting to look like we need at least a two goal cushion to even stand a chance. Our inability to defend in the last ten minutes of a game seems to have spread to the first half too. 

The really weird thing is that individually our defenders did ok - Devine was a lot better than I've seen him recently, but as a unit something is missing. There were too many loose balls in midfield - we can't hope to win if we keep giving the ball away like that.

We still need another striker. More than once Storey found himself with the ball and needing to pass to someone and there was no one there. There is also a lack of movement in front of the ball, which leads to the constant passing sideways. 

I thought Polworth worked his socks off, before tiring and eventually being replaced - I thought he had faded for about 5 minutes before he was taken off. Horner had a good game, he certainly likes to get forward, and was causing problems in the first half. Sho-Silva showed some promise when he came on, but late on he looked to lay off in the box when I thought he should have taken a shot. Fon Williams had a good game and made a few good saves. Can't blame him for either goal - he was completely exposed by the defence. 

I would have put Warren on instead of Draper to try and beef up the defence, but it was good to see an experienced bench at last. 

Finally, can we stop trying to waste time when we take an early lead? There is no way we can defend 1-0 at the moment, and all it does is extend the game, giving more time for the opposition to get that late goal. 

The positive is that I think there are enough teams who are worse than us that we shouldn't be in danger. The worry is that this is exactly the sort of game we have to take something from if we don't want an uncomfortable second half of the season. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, HawkeyeTheGnu said:

Amateur defunding at a throw-in in the last minute allowed Stevenson to score.

Defunding (noun) - the process by which a team whose manager is seeking a larger budget slides down the league table.

That was a strange bench, was it not ? It is worrying that we previously must have risked Warren. BUT the positive way of looking at it is that we are not risking anyone less than 100% fit. That should reap rewards. Still fuming about Draper and Killie though :sad:

11 hours ago, HawkeyeTheGnu said:

Peed off doesn't begin to describe it. 

We we scored early on, and for about 20 minutes were in control, passing and moving well when we had the ball, pressing when we didn't. Storey put us in front, Williams nearly added a second. There were another couple of decent efforts that were either blocked or flew wide, and Storey (I think) had another chance that he should have put away  

And then we let Partick back into the game. Fon Williams had a couple of good saves, before we completely switched off and allowed Partick to equalise. Someone (Meekings I think - given he got a bo11ocking from Fon Williams) was caught ball watching leaving Doolan completely free to score. 

The second half was pretty even, although Fon Williams had to tip the ball over the bar. We created some chances, but nothing as clear cut as in the first half. And then we did it again. Amateur defunding at a throw-in in the last minute allowed Stevenson to score. 

It used to be that if we didn't get the first goal, then we wouldn't win. It is now starting to look like we need at least a two goal cushion to even stand a chance. Our inability to defend in the last ten minutes of a game seems to have spread to the first half too. 

The really weird thing is that individually our defenders did ok - Devine was a lot better than I've seen him recently, but as a unit something is missing. There were too many loose balls in midfield - we can't hope to win if we keep giving the ball away like that.

We still need another striker. More than once Storey found himself with the ball and needing to pass to someone and there was no one there. There is also a lack of movement in front of the ball, which leads to the constant passing sideways. 

I thought Polworth worked his socks off, before tiring and eventually being replaced - I thought he had faded for about 5 minutes before he was taken off. Horner had a good game, he certainly likes to get forward, and was causing problems in the first half. Sho-Silva showed some promise when he came on, but late on he looked to lay off in the box when I thought he should have taken a shot. Fon Williams had a good game and made a few good saves. Can't blame him for either goal - he was completely exposed by the defence. 

I would have put Warren on instead of Draper to try and beef up the defence, but it was good to see an experienced bench at last. 

Finally, can we stop trying to waste time when we take an early lead? There is no way we can defend 1-0 at the moment, and all it does is extend the game, giving more time for the opposition to get that late goal. 

The positive is that I think there are enough teams who are worse than us that we shouldn't be in danger. The worry is that this is exactly the sort of game we have to take something from if we don't want an uncomfortable second half of the season. 

Pretty fair summary. We did close down well early on and moved the ball about well, but over the piece, there were a few players who simply didn't contribute enough. Vincent again looked a bit lightweight and didn't seem to know where he should be playing. Vigurs showed flashes of his ability with a couple of backheels and incisive passes, but for the most part he strolled about the place, as if he wasn't particularly interested in looking for the ball or getting forward. This was in contrast to Polworth, who worked his socks off looking for the ball in the way that Christie has found himself having to do this season, or Horner, who looked direct and confident going forward. As a relatively senior player with obvious ability and a lot of experience at this level, Vigurs surely has to take more responsibility and look to dictate play more. 

The substitutions were a bit odd too. Williams for Mutombo was an absolute head-scratcher: Williams was one of our harder-working and more direct players; Mutombo, on the other hand, again looked like a poor signing. He looks utterly unwilling to mix it - despite his height, he was outjumped for every ball he 'contested', and, as I've noticed before, when an opposing player in his proximity has the ball, he has a tendency to skip on the spot before beginning his run to challenge, as if buying the opponent time to get away from him. Maybe this is simply his running style, but it is highly inefficient and someone should be working on it with him. He did make one good run into the box late on, but didn't seem aware of the opportunity for a cut-back, and again, I just don't think his awareness of team mates is good enough to make him an effective player for us. This is maybe the fifth time I've seen him play, and the same concerns are apparent every time. Storey for Sho-Silva was also a strange one, giving how little Vincent was contributing - surely Sho-Silva could have played as a link-man in behind Storey? - but he did look a more promising prospect when he came on, although he had precious few opportunities. He made one excellent challenge for a high ball, and looked quick and direct when trying to break forward;unfortunately, we didn't seem able to find him with anything. Draper for Polworth was more understandable, give how hard Polworth had worked. When Draper is fully fit, though. I'd like to see if both could be accommodated within the team  - Polworth deserves to keep his place.

Finally, the concession of yet another late goal surely points to the fact that at the moment, something about the tactics and system isn't working. It seems clear that too often, we cede control of the game as soon as we go ahead, rather than trying to increase our advantage. Opposing managers are probably quite relaxed about going behind to us, because they know they'll have the opportunity to start dominating the midfield and pushing us back and forcing us into mistakes. The fact that Fon Williams was one of our best players (despite possibly misjudging the flight of the winner - I'd need to see it again) says a great deal. I think everyone in the away section would have taken a draw - this was ICT at Firhill, after all - but there was a depressing familiarity, almost a feeling of inevitability, to that late goal. Our inability to compete over 90 mins in many games bodes ill for Celtic next week.

• Agree 3

I wonder if the Williams and Storey substitutions were as a result of them coming back from injury? If not, then I agree that they were a bit strange. 

I'd like to see it again, but I think the problem for Fon Williams at the winning goal was Pogba. Cos of where Pogba was standing, he couldn't start moving until the ball was past Pogba, so I don't think he had enough time to get across to where Stevenson's original shot was heading. 

We can have no complaints with that result. The only surprise was that Partick didn't take advantage of their numerous chances and win by more. They could easily have won that 4 or 5 - 1 were it not for a string of excellent saves from Fon Williams. The save in the first half from a header from Doolan I think was the pick of the bunch for me.

Good start for ICT as alternative maryhill mentions. Some nice intricate passing led to the first goal well finished by Storey (seriously get this kid signed up now) and he had another smashing chance to make two but he seemed to just miss a ball that was crossed in from the right. For the rest of game all the chances fell to Partick and whilst we enjoyed a comparable share of possession we created so little with it we never deserved to add to our lead. The best chance in the second half for ICT came when Mutumbo broke into the box but shot at a tight angle instead of cutting back to Vincent who would have been well placed to score.

Poor defending from us for the Partick equaliser. We seemed to think the initial danger was over but the ball was quickly worked back into the box and it seemed we were caught out somewhat and Doolan finished well into the corner of the net. Second half was more of the same i.e. Partick creating the best chances and Fon Williams largely equal to them. Muirhead and one other Partick player both had efforts saved before the fluke winner from Stevenson. I think that Fon Williams should have done better with the cross but despite it not being meant the three points were no more than Partick deserved. 

Peculiar that, after largely dominating the opening period, we yet again seemed to sit back and never again regained that same level of dominance in the game. We saw a fair chunk of the ball but we lacked any real creative spark to generate anything of note especially in the second half. The odd nice flick from Vigurs and Mutumbo can't compensate for a complete dearth of attacking chances to get us back into the game and that is very concerning. Contemplating the rest of the season without the flair and creative spark of Christie is troubling.

Good away crowd from us however and the steak pie was decent (firm crust, generous filling and no soggy bottom) so there were some positives.

So far this season we have conceded four goals in the 90th minute or later that has led to us losing a total of eight points. We have conceded more goals in the 90th minute or later as well but those made no difference to the result (e.g. Hamilton at home).

• Agree 1

I echo what other posters have said.  Some good passages of play and spells of dominance, yet there's times where we lose control of the game altogether.  Like what the others said, I couldn't understand taking Storey off and why Draper wasn't brought on earlier is a mystery, especially when it was clear we needed someone strong to win the ball in midfield and James Vincent was having a very poor game, Polworth looked decent again though.  Sho-Silva did look sprightly when he came on, but he did touch the ball much?  Aside from the moment he can should've spun and shot, I don't really remember really having the ball at all.

By the way, has anyone looked at the thread on P&B?  A certain poster is being very tedious......again.  No prizes for guessing who!

Edited by Renegade

8 minutes ago, CELTIC1CALEY3 said:

''The positive is that I think there are enough teams who are worse than us that we shouldn't be in danger.''  That was Butcher's philosophy at Hibs. We are not too good to be relegated.

I should have made it more clear. If we get relegated it will be a scandal. We are not one of the two worst teams in this league. However, Saturday's game was exactly the sort of game that we need to take something from if we don't want to end up in the bottom two. Too many players are having too many off days.

Can the team who played the first 45 minutes against Aberdeen please turn up again soon?

I think we all knew it was going to be a roller coaster season with the player losses and so many walking wounded. 

We are not half way through the season yet so I for one have no reason to think we will end up anywhere near the relegation zone much more likely to end up in the top six once again. We have the players in the squad to challenge and beat anyone in this league all we need is to get everyone fit and start fielding a settled team, then the confidence will come to start making and taking more chances and less slip ups at the back. It has been a hard slog for the Manager players and fans so far but I firmly believe better times are ahead and all will be well at the end of the season.

• Agree 2

Whilst it is frustrating to lose a goal at the death again, we shouldn't loose sight of the fact that the real problem this season is our failure to score.  16 goals in 15 games is not top 6 form.  There is no doubt that there is some truth in what Bughtmaster says but for me, I think the greatest loss to the team through injury has been Aaron Doran.  In the previous 2 seasons he has been involved in so much of our best creative football and he gives a sense of urgency to our attack.  Does anyone know how close to a return he is? 

Well Roughie I think that is where a fully match fit Jordan Roberts will come in, there are so many options that we have not been able to try out this season. Also there is so much  potential  there in the squad that we might well have been chasing and breaking Hearts and worrying Sheep at this moment of time. As I said previously there is a long way to go yet and with some good fortune on our side we will get there.

TogetherNess rules

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic