new Inverness CT page

Chris77

Good luck with it, though it has occurred to me that this site has slowed considerably in terms of traffic, and it makes you wonder what the future of the site might be. The site is very well run, but there just doesn't seem to be the same level of interest.

Is this so, and if it is what can account for it?

Our traffic has actually stayed reasonably constant although the level of posting does sometimes wane. My own take is that I believe forums still have their place, and they always will, but social media and facebook are far more instant a medium and may be more appealing to some users (especially younger ones). I cant see the main social media sites fading anytime soon so even the developers of this forum software are constantly looking for ways to enhance the product and make it as easy to use and as 'social' as possible. 

Where forums do have an advantage I think is that they typically tend to be niche markets or 'cliques' that require (mostly free) membership. All of us here have at least one common interest (ICT) and probably several more (Inverness, football, local history, films etc) that we can discuss freely and whilst we do have arguments and have to click the ban hammer once in a while, for the most part its a somewhat civilised and safe environment. There is also the fact that being a smaller niche community there is a good chance you will get loads of opportunity to put faces to screen names and see a real person that you might not when posting on facebook or twitter. How many of you went to Romania earlier this year and introduced yourself to people with "I am <nickname> on CTO" .

I myself am a member of two other boards i frequent regularly, one for Toronto FC, and one for the car I now drive and as a normal member rather than moderator or administrator its just the same ... I get introduced to folk all the time as their screen names and we collectively all have this little niche bubble we are part of ....    

After 20+ years of running this forum (so far) all I can say is 'Good Luck'. Its a lot of fun most of the time but also a massive pain in the arse at others !   

• Agree 4

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

Our traffic has actually stayed reasonably constant although the level of posting does sometimes wane. My own take is that I believe forums still have their place, and they always will, but social media and facebook are far more instant a medium and may be more appealing to some users (especially younger ones). I cant see the main social media sites fading anytime soon so even the developers of this forum software are constantly looking for ways to enhance the product and make it as easy to use and as 'social' as possible. 

Where forums do have an advantage I think is that they typically tend to be niche markets or 'cliques' that require (mostly free) membership. All of us here have at least one common interest (ICT) and probably several more (Inverness, football, local history, films etc) that we can discuss freely and whilst we do have arguments and have to click the ban hammer once in a while, for the most part its a somewhat civilised and safe environment. There is also the fact that being a smaller niche community there is a good chance you will get loads of opportunity to put faces to screen names and see a real person that you might not when posting on facebook or twitter. How many of you went to Romania earlier this year and introduced yourself to people with "I am <nickname> on CTO" .

I myself am a member of two other boards i frequent regularly, one for Toronto FC, and one for the car I now drive and as a normal member rather than moderator or administrator its just the same ... I get introduced to folk all the time as their screen names and we collectively all have this little niche bubble we are part of ....    

After 20+ years of running this forum (so far) all I can say is 'Good Luck'. Its a lot of fun most of the time but also a massive pain in the arse at others !   

I can't see Twitter scratching the surface in accommodating some of the posts Scotty or myself sometimes put up! And then there's Oddquine!!!!!

Rock on CTO!

Chris77

Some merit there and a lot of hard work.............but

I cannot understand why when Scotty was asking for help in compiling and producing an improved version of CTO that you did not offer your services and ideas at that point in time.

I am not a staunch believer in the adage of 'If it is not broke don't fix it' as inventiveness is the true way ahead.

Collaboration is paramount to success, time and place should also be considered as well as respect for what has already experienced a high degree of success.

• Agree 1

On 24 November 2015 17:27:53, Kingsmills said:

What is it you intend to do that isn't already done either by this site or the official site ?  I suspect you may be largely talking to yourself.

Maybe Chris77 might moderate with less of an iron hand?

I'm certainly no expert on either but twitter and Facebook do seem to prize fans away from traditional fans forums 

You are more likely to get both sides of opinions on twitter and Facebook whereas you tend to get a happy clapping one sided blinkered view on some club forums

Dougal

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2015 at 7:04 PM, dougal said:

Maybe Chris77 might moderate with less of an iron hand?

I'm certainly no expert on either but twitter and Facebook do seem to prize fans away from traditional fans forums 

You are more likely to get both sides of opinions on twitter and Facebook whereas you tend to get a happy clapping one sided blinkered view on some club forums

Dougal

....and yet, here you remain.