SPFL ABROAD

DEANO96

In previous years it has been mentioned that the spfl could look to play a game or two abroad (probably America). This debate has started up again with the suggestion that Celtic and Dundee are in discussions and Now in yogi's latest interview he has backed it! Wat would others think? Good idea or not? Would it help the club? And would you travel out to watch our team? 

This sounds like something to take advantage of the Irish diaspora in the U.S., probably to the benefit of Celtic. The average American probably has little interest in "soccer" and even less in the Scottish game.

If our authorities spent more time trying to fix the game in general, and less time pandering to the needs of two particular clubs - I can't believe that Roger Mitchell's statement that he worked "tirelessly" to get the Old Firm into English football went so unremarked, way to develop the Scottish game, Roger - then maybe it would be a bit more competitive. 

Edited by HawkeyeTheGnu
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, HawkeyeTheGnu said:

This sounds like something to take advantage of the Irish diaspora in the U.S., probably to the benefit of Celtic. The average American probably has little interest in "soccer" and even less in the Scottish game.

If our authorities spent more time trying to fix the game in general, and less time pandering to the needs of two particular clubs - I can't believe that Roger Mitchell's statement that he worked "tirelessly" to get the Old Firm into English football went so unremarked, way to develop the Scottish game, Roger - then maybe it would be a bit more competitive. 

I agree with you to an extent but to suggest the average American (or Canadian) has little interest in 'soccer' goes against the figures ...  http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/10/26/mls-sets-new-attendance-records-seattle-hold-highest-average-league

Compared to the traditional North American sports it may be low, but in terms of global football it ranks pretty good. 

However, I do agree that there is little interest in Scottish football outside the old firm and that is in huge part due to the SFA/SPL and now SPFL. They do zero marketing, make it almost impossible to view or listen to the game outside of Scotland (and even inside), and generally do a piss poor job of promoting the game.

Having said that - I can guarantee a few long time ICT supporters if we were to play Celtic or Rangers at BMO Field in Toronto and a good few more one-day supporters  !!! If we were to play anyone else, the crowd would be a lot sparser !

• Agree 1

I think its a total nonsense. No thought whatsoever for the 'real' supporters that turn up week in week out in all weathers. This idea has only been dreamed up by the club(s) who have the cash to do it, with an eye on one thing only...and that's making more money. Raising the profile has nothing to do with - that's a smokescreen. The SPFL needs to get its act together here first before trying to ruin it further elsewhere.

Edited by Gringo
  • Agree 1

Scottish league and trophy football should be played in Scotland, Clubs wishing to play friendlies are more than welcome to travel to Jupiter or anywhere else they care to go

I think the idea is farcical, I can see no benefit for any Clubs other than the Old Firm. It is a selfish idea stemming from Clubs that were constantly complaining about the long journey  to and from the Highlands. No consideration at all for the loyal away supporters who fork out hard earned dosh week after week to back their Team, Financially not viable for most Teams and unfair all round except for the 'chosen' Two who would once again reap any benefits that there might be.

Competitive football should stay where it belongs in the grounds of the Teams in the Scottish leagues. 

• Agree 1

Realistically I doubt it will happen this time as said it really only benefits Celtic and the brand appealing to the Irish populus overseas, but this is a concept the EPL have totued for years - games in USA, Asia, Australia etc, anyone remember the concept of game 39 a few years back. It never happened then, but with the influence of money in the game and desire for mass appeal and marketing its only a matter of time before the might of teams like Chelsea, Man U, Man C, Liverpool etc get their way probably at a similar time to Real Madrid, barcelona, Bayern etc - UEFA will bow down and allow Eurpoean football to go global. Either that or the Champions League circus/Atlantic league or some other concept that the top dogs can get a slice of the cash from will surface.

Will this benefit Scottish clubs other than the OF as usual, its unlikely. Teams like ours and the rest who have no political pool will only appeal to a minority of local expats and would ultimately cost more to the clubs than the effort is worth. Sadly as much as trying to make ICT a global brand would be amazing and help the finances, we cant even make it a dominant brand in our own town which is where we need to focus.

• Agree 2