January transfer window.

Guest Shaun

Trials at Caley Thistle and Morton yet neither choose to sign him, while speculation of joining Derry City came to nothing.  He's now signed for another club in Irish League, which suggests really that he probably isn't particularly fantastic.  Looks like the talk of being, at best, no better than what we already have were probably quite close to the truth.

• Agree 1

Perhaps the best outcome since there is doubt as to his ethics and connections,  not to mention the mere fact that he was not even courteous enough to return our Manager's telephone calls.

Courtesy costs nothing and I'm sure John Hughes was not impressed, especially in view of the attention our Manager paid to the assisting of his career in former years from which it is clear that he benefitted greatly.

Not cool or, as we used to say in our younger years, not infra-dig old chap.....meaning a low blow or dig.  I had to look it up in the old Oxford English   dictionary though. 

Or, as an old girlfriend used to say to me when I asked her if we could go into her house .... " infra penny , infra a pound.."   To which I replied  with a puzzled look..."Eh what?" 

And she  and responded with a wink .."  Of  course, a penny to get inra door and anything else is by negotiation when you pound onra door. :crazy:

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

On 16/01/2016 at 7:43 PM, Scarlet Pimple said:

Perhaps the best outcome since there is doubt as to his ethics and connections,  not to mention the mere fact that he was not even courteous enough to return our Manager's telephone calls.

Courtesy costs nothing and I'm sure John Hughes was not impressed, especially in view of the attention our Manager paid to the assisting of his career in former years from which it is clear that he benefitted greatly.

Not cool or, as we used to say in our younger years, not infra-dig old chap.....meaning a low blow or dig.  I had to look it up in the old Oxford English   dictionary though. 

Or, as an old girlfriend used to say to me when I asked her if we could go into her house .... " infra penny , infra a pound.."   To which I replied  with a puzzled look..."Eh what?" 

And she  and responded with a wink .."  Of  course, a penny to get inra door and anything else is by negotiation when you pound onra door. :crazy:

FFS Scarlet take it easy man

• Agree 2

The lack of transfer news or rumours is getting me irritated and tbh, is quite worrying!!

Anybody got anything?

I have one bit of news which is that, a) Abdul Osman is very close to signing a pre contract with us and b) Yann Songo'o has no interest in coming up here so that deal is OFF!

Oh and DEANO96, Aidan Connolly would be a great signing for us but would  he come?

Edited by Shaun
Spelling error

33 minutes ago, Dan Clark said:

There are an awful lot of 'could', 'hopefully' and 'maybe' in that story. Cool if it comes off, but given the source, I won't be holding my breath. 

8 hours ago, Shaun said:

The lack of transfer news or rumours is getting me irritated and tbh, is quite worrying!!

Anybody got anything?

I have one bit of news which is that, a) Abdul Osman is very close to signing a pre contract with us and b) Yann Songo'o has no interest in coming up here so that deal is OFF!

Oh and DEANO96, Aidan Connolly would be a great signing for us but would  he come?

I don't see why he wouldn't! It's not like he's made a huge name for himself! Besides, I can't imagine his wages are going to be huge as he was still on his first utd contract. And he's bound to be looking at teams pushing higher up the league and that need someone like him. 

This is a young guy who's come from Queen's Park and never really been given a chance under utds new manager! So it's not like any "big" teams are going to be chasing him! 

Hughes wants young, fast players in the team and we're crying out for someone that can play wide so they could well work out...but of course we actually have to offer him a contract, because this has been pure speculation from me.

34 minutes ago, DEANO96 said:

I don't see why he wouldn't! It's not like he's made a huge name for himself! Besides, I can't imagine his wages are going to be huge as he was still on his first utd contract. And he's bound to be looking at teams pushing higher up the league and that need someone like him. 

This is a young guy who's come from Queen's Park and never really been given a chance under utds new manager! So it's not like any "big" teams are going to be chasing him! 

Hughes wants young, fast players in the team and we're crying out for someone that can play wide so they could well work out...but of course we actually have to offer him a contract, because this has been pure speculation from me.

The real question is not whether Aidan Connolly would come to us but whether we would want to take a risk on a player who can't hold down a place in the very worst side in the league and who has scored one single first team goal in over thirty first team appearances over three seasons ?

40 minutes ago, DEANO96 said:

Where is there any evidence for this?!

We will have received a payment in excess of £80,000 as a result of SKY's somewhat surprising decision to broadcast the Stirling Albion replay. That's a sum that we would not have been expecting or budgeting for.

We are a long way yet from being clear of the threat of relegation via the play off spot in a very tight section of the league. I sincerely hope that before the window closes we will use that windfall to bring in a quality addition to the squad to give us an edge over those sides around us.

Notice in that article, not one of the quotes from Hughes mentions Ofere by name.  Could well just be a case of the Sun putting two and two together.

And is anyone else bored of Mahonio's made up transfer rumours?  It's cringeworthy stuff.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Abdul Osman apparently being chased by the likes of Blackpool as well so think we could struggle to tie that down with competition from down south.

If it's true I would love to see Ofere back with us, but can't see it to be honest.

Aiden Connolly I'm unsure of taking the gamble on a player that hasn't been playing, I believe he is probably going to sign for Raith according to reports.

Everyone talking about signing forward players, personally I think we need some cover at the back as we are down to the bare bones if anyone gets injured! When we are talking at times of Drapes or Wedderburn having to play centre half it certainly isn't a good position to be in!

Why aren't we competing with the likes of St Johnstone for Blair Alston

• Agree 3

On 20/01/2016 at 7:11 AM, Scarlet Pimple said:

Not a problem CaleyBoy

For you I will resort to my fuddy -duddy, boring self and then you  concentrate on IHE for your fun. e.g There's a moose loose aboot the hoose and a there I see a Canada Goose..........

O.K, O.K I'll quit whilst I'm ahead.:smile:  :lol::wave:

:lol::wink:

1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

The real question is not whether Aidan Connolly would come to us but whether we would want to take a risk on a player who can't hold down a place in the very worst side in the league and who has scored one single first team goal in over thirty first team appearances over three seasons ?

Yes, and I'm not one that would go for someone just because they've played in this league or because they're available! 

It could be that he's just never had the right mentor! He was obviously good enough for utd to bother buying him when they were in a very good spell! Plus from what I've seen on him he has the pace and skill to do well! But if you're gonna judge him on this season then I'm guessing you wouldn't take any of the Utd players because they've all been short on confidence and not playing well! And on the scoring, well he's not a striker, so I wouldn't expect him to score a lot! 

This Is just my opinion, and like i said before it's pure speculation on my half but if we had any say then I'd definitely go for him

Agree with above alston looks good from the limited footage ive seen of him, worrying that st J a similar size team seem to be favourites to land him and we dont seem to be tying down the guys we have or going for good lower division afforable talent as replacements.

2 hours ago, RiG said:

I see Andy Shinnie has joined Rotheram on loan. Wonder if we could have gone for him and brought him back north?

Would love to see that.... but Rotherham are a big side compared to us playing in a much higher quality league with better facilities... could never of seen it happen them sending him back this way for development unless it was to Celtic really. Plus I would imagine they would be looking for a club to fully cover wages which we couldn't do.

• Agree 1