Security threat at Stadium

Mhairisdad

Just to let everyone know - there was increased security at Caley Stadium last week at the Celtic game.

we did our usual routine - dumped the backpack at our seat before heading for a pie, same as we do every home game. However when we came back the bag was gone. Security had lifted it as a security risk following Paris attacks. I had to go to main reception to pick it up - but not until I had a lecture from head of security, telling me that the chief constable nearly called off the game! The fact that they lifted the bag and put it behind reception tells me they weren't too worried about it mind. They were all very nice about it, but I missed first 10 minutes  of the game! Bl""dy ISIS! 

just a heads up in case anyone else normally does this with their bag too. 

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

That is shocking aren't stewards at the gate checking the bags before people head through the gate. Why not just get them to double check their is nothing in it.  I know it was terrible what happened in Paris but come people in Inverness are not that clever no offence anyone. Disgraceful surely the stewards at the gate know the regulars that take in a bag for kids sweets and juice because people are not willing to pay for a terrible pie or very expensive amounts of money for a juice and sweets they have at ICTFC are not the best selection. sorry to hear your bag was taken away without you knowing they could of a least waited until you got back to your seat and asked you nicely rather than taking it away without you knowing!! . But im glad you got it back 

• Disagree 7

Unattended bags have been a big no no for as long as I can remember and not just a result of recent events in Paris.

Whether you agree with the reaction or not, it's incredibly naive to think you can just leave a bag laying there and wander off....regardless of where you are in public.

• Agree 5

44 minutes ago, Mhairisdad said:

we did our usual routine - dumped the backpack at our seat before heading for a pie, same as we do every home game.

If this is your usual routine at your normal seats did you not ask those who usually sit in the seats around you to watch your bag to stop it being nicked and vouch for you if anyone (like security) came by? Alternatively, if its a backpack and presumably has straps, why not just wear it when you go down for a pie, or buy a pie on the way up .... ?

Given recent events, including at the Stade De France, I dont think it is unreasonable for security to be more vigilant during a televised game. "Soft" targets appear to be on the list so cant fault them for lifting a bag that appears abandoned .... although if it were me I might have thrown it straight in the Firth in case it went off !!!

You want security .... try being rapidly cleared from the middle of check-in (with bags just in process of being weighed and tagged) at Charles De Gaulle airport when they discover an abandoned bag there !!! happened to us just before the Charlie Hebdo incident and those French troops do not mess around !!!

Go to any railway station in Britain, no-matter how small and you'll hear announcements about unattended bags.  This is no different.  Irresponsible behaviour IMO and no sympathy from me and certainly none had they taken it out for a controlled explosion.

• Agree 2

On another day we would be reading a post on here about how poor the stewards are for not dealing with an unattended bag left lying with all kinds of hysteria made about it for security reasons or if something had been stolen from it - as above everyone knows in the UK now not to leave bags unattended in any public places.

Although there is a right to ask why it was taken inside the stadium if there were concerns and if there needs to be a better protocol put in place by the police/stewards for this.

22 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Although there is a right to ask why it was taken inside the stadium if there were concerns and if there needs to be a better protocol put in place by the police/stewards for this.

I am making an assumption here that the OP is a season ticket holder and so are the people around the area where he/she sits as thats how the post reads so my guess would be:

The stewards saw it unattended and reported it to the higher ups. The people sitting in the immediate area (but not the bag owners) said, "oh yes, it belongs to "Mhairisdad", he's just gone for a pie". Due to the rules and protocols in place, even though it was no longer thought to be abandoned as such, nor was it likely to be a threat, it was still removed. 

The bag and owner were not in the same place so the safety officer and all concerned in making the decision have no choice. In fact, they were more lenient than they could have been and if I had any questions it would be the same as @bdu98196 in wondering why they put it in the office rather than elsewhere. I guess they made a risk assessment based on their knowledge of the seat, the seat holder, and perhaps even the CCTV footage.  

I'd go along with Scotty and further suggest that this unattended bag would have been checked out on CCTV before anyone was sent to pick it up. Terrorism is not taken lightly and, had it not been suspected the bag was likely to have been innocently left, this could easily have led to stadium evacuation and bomb experts being called in. I'm also inclined to think that the bag was taken away as a lesson in this instance. I'm sure the OP also realises how something so routine and innocent can become something massive.

My only concern here might be that this "usual routine" was apparently not picked up by the stewards long before now. As Caley D says, unattended bags have been a big no-no for a very long time - by that I mean at least the early 1970s when the Irish "troubles" were becoming a problem.

I just hope there aren't too many JodieC95s around because that is just the kind of lax attitude that terrorists are looking for.

What are you all wittering about, the only terrorism being perpetrated is by the security services. There is no war on terror, but there is a war of terror being perpetrated against the middle eastern nations and their poor civilians. Anyone see the "alleged" shooting of the policeman in the Charlie Hebdo attack which was unsurprisingly quickly taken down. In frame 1 there is a cue mark in the middle of the road where the car stops, in the final frame there is a cue mark opposite the front passengers wheel which was not in the first frame, ergo, the scene was shot in at least two takes ie it's a fake. I could go on about so many ridiculous issues surrounding this piece of theater. While I'm about it I would like to point out that President Assad is the democratically elected leader of Syria with 83% of the vote, you wont hear that on the BBC. Enjoy the games at TC stadium without this fearmongering.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 11

1 hour ago, wynthank15 said:

What are you all wittering about, the only terrorism being perpetrated is by the security services. There is no war on terror, but there is a war of terror being perpetrated against the middle eastern nations and their poor civilians. Anyone see the "alleged" shooting of the policeman in the Charlie Hebdo attack which was unsurprisingly quickly taken down. In frame 1 there is a cue mark in the middle of the road where the car stops, in the final frame there is a cue mark opposite the front passengers wheel which was not in the first frame, ergo, the scene was shot in at least two takes ie it's a fake. I could go on about so many ridiculous issues surrounding this piece of theater. While I'm about it I would like to point out that President Assad is the democratically elected leader of Syria with 83% of the vote, you wont hear that on the BBC. Enjoy the games at TC stadium without this fearmongering.

You may have a point regarding Assad's democratic mandate but the problems in Syria are totally separate from the global terrorism scare other than the fact that the conflict in Syria has allowed ISIS to get a foothold in Syrian territory.  Assad is just as much an enemy of ISIS as we infidels in the West are. I very much doubt that the security services are straight with us but that does not mean the threat is not very real.  You'll be telling us next that the holocaust never happened.

2 hours ago, wynthank15 said:

Is this George Galloway in disguise or a member of the latest generation of Moon Landing Deniers? Or just somebody on the wind up?

Let's just put this one to bed eh, regardless of peoples plethora of political or religious knowledge or an indepth understanding of peoples psyche from far away lands.

It doesn't belong here.

"Caley Thistle

This forum is for discussions that involve Caley Thistle either on or off the park. If your post is not football related, is not about Caley Thistle or doesnt fit in here for some other reason, please use one of the other forums."

Actually 12th man this is about ICT off the park, all those fans who see the boogie man round every corner or in every left bag, you have more chance of drowning in your bath than being killed by a terrorist. For those who would like to educate themselves I recommend "The terror factory, inside the FBI's manufactured war on terrorism" by Trevor Aaronson. Doofers dad, if you don't know the significance or origins of ISIS then the joke's on you and what on earth has the Holocaust to do with my comments? very cheap shot.

Renegade, I laughed out loud, I do have a sense of humour, even though it's a serious subject.

Ok that's me done with this subject.

• Disagree 4

19 hours ago, Charles Bannerman said:

Electorates do from time to time tend to make big mistakes which they later deeply regret. Look no further than Holyrood and "The Fiftyhowevermanyofthemarestillleft".

Aside from being off topic, pathetic simply pathetic.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, wynthank15 said:

Actually 12th man this is about ICT off the park, all those fans who see the boogie man round every corner or in every left bag, you have more chance of drowning in your bath than being killed by a terrorist. For those who would like to educate themselves I recommend "The terror factory, inside the FBI's manufactured war on terrorism" by Trevor Aaronson. Doofers dad, if you don't know the significance or origins of ISIS then the joke's on you and what on earth has the Holocaust to do with my comments? very cheap shot.

Renegade, I laughed out loud, I do have a sense of humour, even though it's a serious subject.

Ok that's me done with this subject.

One may very well be at risk of drowning in the bath but we take basic precautions such as keeping our heads above the water. Similarly a very basic precaution against terrorist attacks which do happen is to make sure bags and packages are not left unattended. Conspiracy theories are all very entertaining but add nothing to the serious debate and certainly don't assist with the solution.

• Agree 1

Ok Kingsmills you reeled me in, I am not trying to be entertaining and the label conspiracy theorist is the derogatory term used by those who are unfamiliar with the facts. I prefer the term alternative view meaning it does not accord with the ministry of truth (see 1984) ie the BBC and main stream media. The attackers in paris and san bernadino were described by independent eyewitnesses as white males, clean shaven in army fatigues driving black SUV's,( sounds a lot like defence contractors) doesn't exactly square with MSM reports now does it?

• Disagree 7

lets get back on topic please. the semantics of 'conspiracy theories' versus 'alternative viewpoints' are all well and good, as are the origin of various groups ... but it is not for this thread. start something up in another part of the forum if thats what you want. 

Bottom line is that in the current climate - and I would argue that its been like this in the UK for decades due to a threat from closer to home - you simply dont leave bags unattended anywhere, especially at public events. 

• Agree 2

Putting the outlandish conspiracies aside, whether the terrorist threat is overstated or not is neither here nor there.  We all know how serious threats and unattended bags are taken.  Imagine if the match had been suspended or abandoned.  Can you imagine what that would be like?  People would be going mental at the stupidity of some people of leaving their bags lying about.  Imagine the inconvenience of people travelling and for nothing, as well the possibility of losing money from the TV coverage.

The idea as well that this is justified in post #2 because the selection of sweets etc. at the Caley Stadium isn't very good is simply laughable, as is the idea that they could've checked the bags or even asked nicely what was in them!  Bombs aren't diffused by polite requests!

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Look at what happened at the Shopping Centre in Preston yesterday. A full scale evacuation and closure of the town centre after what now appears to be the letting off of a small home made incendiary device. It does not have to be a terrorist. It could be a simple feckin numpty with a grudge. Better to be safe than sorry. Would you ever leave an unattended bag at the airport or rail station ?

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2015 at 8:49 PM, wynthank15 said:

Dang it

why didn't somebody tell me before deploying to  Qatar, Iraq, Afghanistan , Kuwait . I guess those fowk weren't launching rockets at us in the camp. It must all have been induced by the mind controlling drugs fed to me by the government

• Agree 4