Rory Gallagher

tm4tj

• 1 year later...

Posted this yesterday under Olde Inverness > Picture of Heaven, but maybe this place would be more appropriate. I promise I won't post it anywhere else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRn2D-FMzYs

Rory Gallagher plays the Howden End!!

I was looking for something else, and stumbled across this.  Just over 2 minutes of silent colour film of Taste playing at Telford Street in 1970.  (Wrongly captioned as being at Clach's ground.)   I have never seen this before.  There are a couple of quick sweeps of the ground, but you won't recognise anyone.

By coincidence, today, March 1st, is the 44th anniversary of his legendary show in the Caley Hotel - my first proper rock gig.  I thought they were all going to be like that!

And March 2nd would have been his 69th birthday. 

Still sorely missed.

• Agree 2

• 1 month later...

tm4tj and snorbens-caleyman

,Thanks so much for posting this, I moved to the Inverness area 23 years ago (which is how I support ICT, new home + new team:ictscarf: though at present the second part feels a bit second rate:sad:) and have been a lifelong Rory fan.  I am lucky enough to remember Telford Street but never knew that Rory had played there, your clip is fascinatng on all levels for me:smile:.

Many thanks again.

Edited by Caleytrue

Thanks for your kind comments, Caleytrue, and I am glad that you enjoyed the film clip. I was gobsmacked when I discovered it by accident - it had never occurred to me that some film of the event might exist.

I wasn't at the Telford Street gig, but it was well-known in Inverness.

The only other time Rory played in Inverness was the gig that I referred to above - on 1 March 1973. (I know this because I have an advert for the tour, from one of the music papers, in a frame on the wall beside me - good picture of Rory, and a list of all the tour dates). It was in the Caledonian Hotel, which is now the Mercure, on Church Street. They put on gigs in their ballroom. I have no idea if it is still a ballroom, but if you stand on the riverside and look at the hotel, it is the shoebox-shaped extension coming towards you on the right-hand side.

It was my first proper rock gig with a A-list name. I wasn't really into Rory at the time, but my mates were, so I said "OK, get me a ticket too". I don't think I realised how lucky I was - I believe that the show could have been sold out two or three times over.

We didn't get many big names in the north of Scotland, so anyone who made the journey could expect a great welcome. Just imagine that small, low-ceilinged ballroom jam-packed with hot, sweaty, drunken Highlanders eager for their shot of rhythm'n'blues, and then imagine Rory and the band pulling out all the stops! It was great. As I said, I thought all rock gigs were going to be that good.

To be honest, I don't remember many details about the music - I wasn't very familiar with it at the time. I do remember "Bankers Blues" being introduced as one from the new album ("Blueprint"), and I also remember Rory promising to come back to Inverness during "In Your Town" - but he never did. I, however, moved away in 1974 - first to university and then to work in London, so I saw him again many times over the years. Many happy memories - and also sadness at his untimely death.

• Agree 1

• 2 years later...

Love it!!  "a regular love-in", a "beat marathon" - you couldn't make that up.

Great line-up.  Kim Simmonds is still fronting a band called Savoy Brown.  Brinsley Schwarz's bass player was Nick Lowe, and Brinsley and another later went off to join the Rumour (as in "Graham Parker and ..."). 

"If" were formed by legendary sax player Dick Morrissey  (of Morrissey-Mullen fame).  I saw a version of Atomic Rooster last year, but I think that was based around a couple of later 70s members.

Only one I'd never heard of was Blacck Wido, but I see that there is a Wikipedia page - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Widow_(band)

• Agree 1

• 11 months later...

On 3/1/2017 at 4:15 PM, snorbens_caleyman said:

Posted this yesterday under Olde Inverness > Picture of Heaven, but maybe this place would be more appropriate. I promise I won't post it anywhere else.

Have just discovered, thanks to the mailing list The Loop, that this was 50 years ago today - Saturday 18 July 1970.

336177994_rorytelfordst.jpg.7b8d327b898168163bec54e5dbe8d544.jpg

Edited by snorbens_caleyman
added graphic

So having gigs at the stadium is nothing new!  That was some line up though.  Atomic Rooster originally had Carl Palmer in their line up on drums but he left to be part of the trio of Emerson Lake and Palmer.  Don't know if that would have been before or after coming to Inverness but he was a class act.

On 7/18/2020 at 8:01 PM, DoofersDad said:

So having gigs at the stadium is nothing new!  That was some line up though.  Atomic Rooster originally had Carl Palmer in their line up on drums but he left to be part of the trio of Emerson Lake and Palmer.  Don't know if that would have been before or after coming to Inverness but he was a class act.

ELP debuted at the Isle of Wight in late August. I've got the DVD. Keith blew his brains out with a shotgun in 2016 and Greg succumbed to cancer later the same year.

Edited by TheMantis

• 1 year later...
On 3/1/2017 at 4:15 PM, snorbens_caleyman said:

Poster coming up for auction tomorrow (Thursday 10th), along with two other posters. 

This link takes you to the lot on the auction house's website - https://tinyurl.com/3vupnhdp  

I won't be bidding for it.  Good luck if you do!

1507170709_1970-07-18poster.thumb.jpg.c7108b0c60b64c083e369295a876a7eb.jpg

• Thank You 1