Good Luck Ross County in the Cup Semi

CELTIC1CALEY3

3 hours ago, RiG said:

As funny as seeing Celtic collapse again was I still hope County get pumped in the final. Prepare now for a few weeks of what a miracle their club is when in reality they are no different from Gretna. Funded by a sugar daddy who is the only reason they are where they are. I'm not saying that we've not benefited over the years from some financial help of course!

I really think there's more than a little difference between Roy MacGregor and Brooks Mileson in terms of financial assets, business acumen and vision for a football club. And yes, you are right that ICT has indeed benefited over the years from "financial help". Had it not been for the intervention of David Sutherland in 2000, God knows what financial fate would have befallen the club with its £2M+ of unsecured debt - and that's before you consider the construction of the stands to allow SPL football to return to Inverness and the purchase of around £500,000 of shares.

"Share purchase" in football, by the way, simply equates to the word "donation", albeit with possible fringe benefits which include a degree of control over the club. And there are plenty of others who fall into that category at ICT. After all, the 570,000 shares which have recently been transferred to the Hospice represent £570,000 "invested" (such a daft word to use in a football context) by Sandy Catto and Ian Fraser before him. Then there's also the Muirfield Mills share uptake/donation and a few others on a smaller scale.

So it's really a matter of degree and Caley Thistle would no more be where it is today than Ross County if these clubs had had to rely entirely on their earnings without help from the donations of wealthy individuals. Football's nonsensical wage structure (and they don't come much more nonsensical than one or two in the Highland League) can only be sustained by people who are prepared to give away money to clubs.

As for Ross County reaching this final, I for one am delighted. You only have to look at this morning's back pages and also remember the decades that the Highlands were frozen out of the national game for that to be the only sensible response, irrespective of which side of the Firth you support. As was the case when ICT turfed Celtic out of the Scottish Cup last season, the back page headlines and much of what runs below them are (with the honourable exception of the Daily Star no less!) fundamentally about losers Celtic when they should be about winners Ross County. These publications' only concern is about inserting themselves firmly up the collective backside of the Old Firm, so indignation levels are running very high this morning - especially since it's another Highland club which has disturbed the West Central belt established order. This should, however, come as no surprise to us up here since the parochial kailyard which is central Scotland has been treating the Highlands with contempt for centuries.

So if, on 13th March after a final against another failed and over privileged central Scottish club, it emerges that between them these Highland teams have reached four major national finals in six years and won two of them, I for one will be very happy indeed that it has been got right up the central belt, and in particular its Old Firm establishment, in this way.

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 5
  • Disagree 1

4 hours ago, Charles Bannerman said:

the parochial kailyard which is central Scotland

Parochial. Oh, the irony :lol: :lol: :lol:

One or two people have mentioned that retirement has not done Charles any good. Maybe it's time for the winner of the Worst Poster Award to finally seek some badly-needed help.

Living in the part of Scotland so despised by Mr Bannerman I would claim to be more in touch with what the place is like, and what people here think of the Highlands, than himself.

Otherwise I would recommend seeking the opinion of such as Top Six, Alternative Maryhill, RedCard, ICTChris, ICTPaisley, KirkieRobRoy, Naelifts, Alex MacLeod etc, whose views would be more valid than those of a bitter, prejudiced wee mannie who uses juvenile phrases such as 'getting it right up the Central Belt' and who, on the evidence of his tedious, repetitive essays, never gets any further than Culbokie for his summer holidays.

• Agree 6

I notice some others have had a go at Pat Nevin, and quite rightly so. At one point he said something like 'if it stays eleven against eleven, Celtic are gonnae win.'

I seem to remember in the highlights programme after the Big Cup semi final, he said almost exactly the same about our win over Celtic, referring, of course, to Craig Gordon's sending off.

Bitter and repetitive, it seems.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, TheMantis said:

Parochial. Oh, the irony :lol: :lol: :lol:

One or two people have mentioned that retirement has not done Charles any good. Maybe it's time for the winner of the Worst Poster Award to finally seek some badly-needed help.

Living in the part of Scotland so despised by Mr Bannerman I would claim to be more in touch with what the place is like, and what people here think of the Highlands, than himself.

Otherwise I would recommend seeking the opinion of such as Top Six, Alternative Maryhill, RedCard, ICTChris, ICTPaisley, KirkieRobRoy, Naelifts, Alex MacLeod etc, whose views would be more valid than those of a bitter, prejudiced wee mannie who uses juvenile phrases such as 'getting it right up the Central Belt' and who, on the evidence of his tedious, repetitive essays, never gets any further than Culbokie for his summer holidays.

Do I detect a hint of Chippyjimmyness here that doesn't like to see any blame attached to anyone other than The English?:lol:

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Disagree 2

On 31 January 2016 at 3:28 PM, old caley girl said:

Don't be so nieve. They have more address season ticket holders with Inverness addresses than Ross shire ones. Of course if they are successful they affect our business prospects as a club! 

I'd go as far as saying County have as many born and bred Invernessians fans as we do, they even have an official supporters club in the city run from the Tarry Isle bar I think 

Whether it being clever marketing or other factors they have recruited wisely and steadily since gaining access to the senior leagues 

Ross-shire,Sutherland,Caithness,Skye,Western Isles and certain parts of Inverness have embraced County whereas we have struggled as we seem to be playing second fiddle

Inverness have also active supporters clubs from Celtic,Rangers,Aberdeen,Hearts,Dundee,Dundee Utd,St Johnstone and even Man Utd in the city

When you also throw in the Merkinch/Clach fans who openly despise us it's no wonder we struggle to get fans with an Inverness postcode

We have been very fortunate in the last two decades that Inverness has grown dramatically because the influx of incomers to the city has swelled our numbers 

Dougal

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Charles Bannerman said:

Do I detect a hint of Chippyjimmyness here that doesn't like to see any blame attached to anyone other than The English?:lol:

No, it's just a simple case of what's usually called 'projection'. You have a well-established hatred of Lowlanders so you assume everybody else has to hate somebody too.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, WYNESS101 said:

Mon the Hibees!!!!

F*CK THE GYPO SCUM

I find the hatred towards Ross County as fake manufacturing. We have a rivalry with them from being the only teams close by and nothing more. 

Edited by ICTPAISLEY
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, Alex MacLeod said:

At the end of the day its the top leagues mickey mouse cup. No other highland team can ever lay claim to being the first to bring the big cup to the highlands

That's a little disingenuous!
The run to the League Cup Final in 2014 was/is an historic achievement and one of the indelible marks in this club's history. The extraordinary, 9-man, last-gasp comeback equaliser and eventual victory against Hearts in Edinburgh is one of the most memorable games for many fans.
Check back at the Matchday Threads for that game, the Final and the build up - it was a huge deal (You actually used the word 'proud' in one such thread).

To now dismiss those occasions and the achievement of our players, as 'mickey mouse', smacks of petty jealousy at Ross County.

• Agree 5
  • Disagree 1

15 hours ago, Alex MacLeod said:

At the end of the day its the top leagues mickey mouse cup. No other highland team can ever lay claim to being the first to bring the big cup to the highlands

Doubt you'd find many on here who thought that way when we were playing Hearts in those epic semi finals and Aberdeen in the final.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Good luck to Ross County in the final. I am a bit more relaxed on my view whether they win games or not now since we have set the bar so high already with last years venture. Before that I desperately wanted us to be the first highland team to achieve a cup win and a Euro adventure...and we did.

• Agree 1