Top Ref complains.

caley100

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35435130

Top ref John Fleming complains that his colleagues are getting 'over the top' criticism,  Perhaps if he witnessed some of the displays that I have seen he would understand why!

And its not just the ref's, the Ass ref's have been so clueless its scary, we see decisions being made that are a complete mystery, bookings being made when common sense would say a quiet word might get more respect.

With our Premiership refs getting paid more than some of the full time professionals they are refereeing for what is essentially a part time hobby I really don't see what they have to complain about.

If they are really that sensitive to criticism then maybe the should find another hobby, knitting or origami perhaps...

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

With our Premiership refs getting paid more than some of the full time professionals they are refereeing for what is essentially a part time hobby I really don't see what they have to complain about.

Good point Kingsmills I reckon they get paid for 1 match what our average wage per player is earning in a week ! 

20 hours ago, caley100 said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35435130

Top ref John Fleming complains that his colleagues are getting 'over the top' criticism,  Perhaps if he witnessed some of the displays that I have seen he would understand why!

And its not just the ref's, the Ass ref's have been so clueless its scary, we see decisions being made that are a complete mystery, bookings being made when common sense would say a quiet word might get more respect.

Apart from the lack of consistency, the blatant favouring of two particular clubs over all others and the general clueless, gutless and spineless decision making, Scottish referees are amongst the best in the world.

Perhaps if Fleming removed his head from his backside, he might actually see what is going on. 

Addendum: I assume the "top" refers to his position as chief of referees, rather than that his refereeing was of a superior quality. The second category is as common in Scottish football as rocking horse dung. 

Edited by HawkeyeTheGnu
Can't spell, and had another point to make
  • Agree 3

Recognising that without refs our game might be stuck. But spfl pay £840 a game plus mileage so central belt refs get £1000 per game to come to Ictfc. At that rate refs need to recognise they're being very well compensated and take criticism on the chin. The answer is for them to get better at their job.

• Agree 2

Not all of the blame for dodgy decision making can be apportioned to referees. It's the guys above them who call the shots. Case in point, Willie Collum takes pelters from fans for his draconian use of cards, but the assessors routinely reward him with big domestic games and international call ups, which suggests he's carrying out their instructions to a tee. 

Edited by AlexJones
  • Agree 1

Not so sure that is the case as I find the biggest issue with referees is the sheer lack of consistency with them. One will issue cards for the most trivial offences, the next will not. The same with calling fouls, again one will give a foul for a particular challenge, the next will not. It has to be said also that some refrees appear to be incapable of spotting a foul at all as was the case last week in our game against Partick.

• Disagree 1

The inconsistency between referees is for the SFA to deal with as is the almost universal failure to apply some of the rules of the game.  For instance, there is sometimes so much holding in the penalty area that it looks more like an American football scrimmage and yet it is rare that penalties are awarded when defenders are manhandling opponents to stop them getting to the ball.  That could be dealt with at a stroke with instructions to match officials supported by retrospective action from the compliance officer. 

This lack of leadership at the top must put folk off from taking up refereeing and as a result the general standard is poor.  But I wouldn't wish to be too critical of referees because I do think that some of the criticism they get for incorrect decisions is very harsh.  Far too often they are pilloried for errors which can only be seen to be errors in hindsight and sometimes with straight white lines drawn across the TV screen to judge an offside decision or with repeated slow motion footage from different angles relating to a foul.  Sometimes it would be nigh impossible for a referee to be certain an infringement has occurred, whilst at other times, just like the rest of us, they make honest human errors.

What is needed is for the ruling bodies to take steps to ensure that the laws of the game are applied consistently.  Referees making honest mistakes should be supported against criticism. Surely, only by consistent application of the laws of the game can you really identify those referees whose performance is poor and who need to improve if they are to officiate at the top level.  Can't see anything positive happening with the current jokers at FIFA and the SFA.

DD is right,  in the main.

I too have winced at the blatant grabbing and pulling of jerseys in the penalty box.

These salaries are huge though and there seems to me to be no excuse for refs to ignore this kind of blatant infringement of rules viz a viz the box.

It's sometimes so bad that the offending player seems to be in the penalty area just for that reason alone.....prevention and stifling. Shoulder charges are O.K but waist hugging, neck hugging and throttling, attempts at ripping off jerseys and so on is rabid rabble rousing and should be penalised and punished.

But then, again, refs don't have eyes in the back of their heads as far as the many incidents that occur in this area are concerned and the complete absence of video recording is also a major contributor since instant replays can't be accessed to confirm fouls --- or to confirm their decisions on whether or not the ball has actually gone over the goal line etc. So most of the time it's just uncontrollable mayhem  and malarkey.

And, er, wasn't it an alleged hand ball  in the box that escaped the attention of four officials  at Hampden that allowed our team to progress last season in the Scottish Cup ...:wink:? I mean they all claimed that they suffered  an attack of poor vision due to their being unsighted so was that a conspiracy in favour of the minnows to ensure the incidence of dwindling attendances in the league is arrested? Maybe it was.

In other words, is it the case that things tend to even themselves out and what you gain on the swings you lose on the roundabouts? :ictscarf:

• Agree 1