Greg Tansey

DonInPeace

Delighted Tansey is still here but a totally bizarre situation.

Seems we have ruffled a few feathers with this saga. Clarification from the club would be nice to clear our name but seems its not just Aberdeen confused by what happened:

Midway through yesterday afternoon, hours after it emerged that a deal was in the offing, we received a tip off that all was not running smoothly as McInnes might have hoped. The word seeping out of Inverness was of anger over the way in which Aberdeen had gone about the business of discovering the key contractual details of Tansey’s arrangement. It all sounded slightly covert and implied some sort of inappropriate activity on Aberdeen’s behalf.

Unfortunately, despite repeated attempts to make contact, both with manager John Hughes and chairman Kenny Cameron, no one from Inverness Caley Thistle had the courtesy to so much as respond to our enquiries never mind clear them up.

This appears to be the way of things for a club which used to be so good at winning friends but which now seems determined to alienate each and every one them. For no apparent reason, Inverness Caley Thistle have morphed into the hermit of Scottish football. Often, it feels as if those in charge of making decisions view the outside world through a self-made haze of hostility and suspicion all of which is absurd and unnecessary.

Read more at http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/opinion/sport/keith-jackson-tsunami-bad-blood-7295738#tDx8iJdTPMyBJigk.99

• Agree 1

What a knob.  Basically he's not happy because we don't conduct our dealings in public in the way the tabloids would want us to.  They'd also love us to get into a war of words with Aberdeen, which I'm sure we have no desire to do.

All of us would like to know what happened here, but in a case like this it's actually very difficult for ICT to make a statement that answers the questions without going into confidential and commercially sensitive contractual details, which ought to remain private.

• Agree 4

Keith Jackson can f'ck off for all I care. Another person who has no idea what went on trying to pretend he does know.

I'd like ICT to clear things up but I know they won't for the reasons Yngwie has set out. Any statement would likely be along the lines of "ICT can confirm they received a bid however we did not feel it triggered the release clause and as such we refused the offer. Greg remains an ICT player and we are happy to have him here."

Obviously it would be more formal than that.

Edited by RiG

20 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

What a knob.  Basically he's not happy because we don't conduct our dealings in public in the way the tabloids would want us to.  They'd also love us to get into a war of words with Aberdeen, which I'm sure we have no desire to do.

All of us would like to know what happened here, but in a case like this it's actually very difficult for ICT to make a statement that answers the questions without going into confidential and commercially sensitive contractual details, which ought to remain private.

I agree but there should be at least an acknowledgement to a request for info.  A short response along the lines you say would be appropriate - without the "knob" bit.

• Agree 1

Now the west coast media want to write about us, clearly winning the scottish cup and having plaudits about our stlye of play last season dont do anything for football journalists compared to creating some kind of immature celebrity type trash tv war of words. Clearly a credible football source to care about.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Libero said:

Delighted Tansey is still here but a totally bizarre situation.

Seems we have ruffled a few feathers with this saga. Clarification from the club would be nice to clear our name but seems its not just Aberdeen confused by what happened:

That would be the Daily Retard who largely ignore us but devote 90% of their sports pages to Celtic and the lower league team that replaced Rangers. That would be Keith Jackson the 'journalist' who once described Craig Whyte as 'billionaire with wealth off the scale' and confidently hailed him as the saviour of his beloved Rangers.

I agree that the club could very often handle communications better but why on earth should we give some sort of scoop to a poor apology for a journalist telephoning or emailing from the comfort of his office on the banks of the Clyde who think so little of the Highlands that they have no sports reporter based there ?

How does he know that there is a 'tsunami of bad feeling' between the clubs when all Aberdeen have said is that they are confused and disappointed not to get their man and we've said nothing at all ?

I note from another thread that Greg has removed the link in his Twitter account to his agent, or perhaps former agent, could it just be that the player himself holds the agent responsible rather than either of the clubs. If, as reported,there was an ambiguity in the contract surely it was the agent's job to ensure that the contract was drafted in such a way that there ought to have been no such confusion.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 1

Another devious plot by McInnes, a last minute attempted steal of Greg didn't work but the unsettling of the Club and Supporters issue is one that has not been resolved yet. I am glad that our Club are not being goaded into a war of words with Aberdeen, it proves we have more dignity than them.

I mentioned in an earlier post that Aberdeen were and are envious of our record obtained by us in a short history and the successes we have had with a very limited budget.

I am sure they are also concerned about meeting us and our spoiling their chances of a league top challenge. They may be a bigger Club than us, as yet, but they will never have the same Team environment and ethic that we have.

Hopefully this is going to backfire on them,  I have a sneaking feeling it wil.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 5

This appears to be the way of things for a club which used to be so good at winning friends but which now seems determined to alienate each and every one them. For no apparent reason, Inverness Caley Thistle have morphed into the hermit of Scottish football. Often, it feels as if those in charge of making decisions view the outside world through a self-made haze of hostility and suspicion all of which is absurd and unnecessary.

How exactly are Keith Jackson and his Daily Record colleagues 'friends' of our club? 

Respect is earned. If you want stories handed to you on a plate you could at the very least make the effort to build a relationship with people at our club rather than sitting at your desk in Glasgow acting like we don't even exist. Journalism 101. 

Edited by AlexJones
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, bughtmaster said:

Another devious plot by McInnes, a last minute attempted steal of Greg didn't work but the unsettling of the Club and Supporters issue is one that has not been resolved yet. I am glad that our Club are not being goaded into a war of words with Aberdeen, it proves we have more dignity than them.

I mentioned in an earlier post that Aberdeen were and are envious of our record obtained by us in a short history and the successes we have had with a very limited budget.

I am sure they are also concerned about meeting us and our spoiling their chances of a league top challenge. They may be a bigger Club than us, as yet, but they will never have the same Team environment and ethic that we have.

Paranoid nonsense, maybe Aberdeen and their manager are in league with Barry Wilson to do us down....

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

Paranoid nonsense, maybe Aberdeen and their manager are in league with Barry Wilson to do us down....

Whatever you think Kingsmills -------You always seem to think you know best............Perhaps it's because you live in Aberdeenshire.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

Scott Burns of the Daily Express was the Journalist who broke the story he initially said that Aberdeen had triggered the £200k transfer clause in Greg Tansey contract

Later on transfer deadline day he posted doubt that the deal would go ahead stating Aberdeen had offered to meet the £200k not  as per the contract clause but in installments 

Edited by Dargo20

1 hour ago, bughtmaster said:

Sorry bughmaster, but that statement there is a bit far fetched. In what way have Aberdeen acted without dignity? McInnes was asked a question, or several actually, about the whole ordeal, and he answered, he also publicly said that he'd spoken to John Hughes, who was happy with the way we conducted the deal, he wouldn't make that up, especially the talking to Hughes part knowing that Hughes would get wind of it, and your manager is not the type to let a lie go, is he, he is a passionate man that cares about his club and it's supporters and takes zero bullsh!t. I'd also like to point out that McInnes found out that we could actually put the money together on the Friday, but didn't want to disrupt ICT's match preparation for the Saturday, and it was only after he was made aware that your game was cancelled, he tabled the offer, on Saturday, I would say that's actually pretty respectful and certainly dignified.

I can only speak for myself here as well, but to say we are envious is also a bit far fetched, I'm over the moon that ICT have had success over the years, and I've always enjoyed the brand of football you play & the difficult fixtures we always seem to have, there is never much in the games, long may it continue.

I completely respect and appreciate that this is a bit of a bad time, given the circumstances of this saga, but I draw the line at ridiculous statements like that.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Dargo20 said:

Scott Burns of the Daily Express was the Journalist who broke the story he initially said that Aberdeen had triggered the £200k transfer clause in Greg Tansey contract

Later on transfer deadline day he posted doubt that the deal would go ahead stating Aberdeen had offered to meet the £200k not  as per the contract clause but in installments 

Regarding that, McInnes confirmed we did have the 200k available upfront, stated it wasn't easy, but we had it.

56 minutes ago, DonInPeace said:

Sorry bughmaster, but that statement there is a bit far fetched. In what way have Aberdeen acted without dignity? McInnes was asked a question, or several actually, about the whole ordeal, and he answered, he also publicly said that he'd spoken to John Hughes, who was happy with the way we conducted the deal, he wouldn't make that up, especially the talking to Hughes part knowing that Hughes would get wind of it, and your manager is not the type to let a lie go, is he, he is a passionate man that cares about his club and it's supporters and takes zero bullsh!t. I'd also like to point out that McInnes found out that we could actually put the money together on the Friday, but didn't want to disrupt ICT's match preparation for the Saturday, and it was only after he was made aware that your game was cancelled, he tabled the offer, on Saturday, I would say that's actually pretty respectful and certainly dignified.

I can only speak for myself here as well, but to say we are envious is also a bit far fetched, I'm over the moon that ICT have had success over the years, and I've always enjoyed the brand of football you play & the difficult fixtures we always seem to have, there is never much in the games, long may it continue.

I completely respect and appreciate that this is a bit of a bad time, given the circumstances of this saga, but I draw the line at ridiculous statements like that.

The statement is indeed ridiculous. There is a healthy rivalry between the clubs. We do have a natural resentment that you tend to nick our best players but most of us recognise that were the positions reversed and we were able to double your player's wages the traffic along the A96 would be in the opposite direction and is simple commercial reality.

Finally, although your club were a bit heavy on the rent, most of us recognise that we would not have been able to take up our place in the top league were it not for the Dons offering to share Pittodrie and many of us remain grateful for it. I would hope that the ill informed nonsense spouted by ignorant Weegie based journalists does nothing to sour what have been generally good relations.

Good luck tonight against Celtic and give us a proper title challenge at long last. You will need those three points as you will not be leaving Inverness with any later in the month.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DonInPeace said:

Hi DoninPeace,

Appreciate that McInnes felt like he was acting with respect and the job he has done for you guys is tremendous.

However my question would be "why wait?"

Why wait until after the game, Tansey didn't need to know about the offer, once the clubs had mutually agreed a figure on Friday, a gentleman's agreement could have taken place to state that, ok, we won't physically talk to Greg until after the Hearts game on the Saturday, thus not disrupting his thinking or performance for that game, giving Aberdeen plenty time to agree personal terms on Sunday/Monday as the fee would have been concluded.

So I just unfortunately don't believe the statement that the offer was put in on Deadline day due to that.

I think Aberdeen failed in other targets and then decided last minute to go for Tansey because they knew about the clause and felt that we had to accept, giving them enough time to agree terms with Greg.