Greg Tansey

DonInPeace

7 minutes ago, davie said:

Two things. "Elected" just means "chose" and it's not Mo Johnstone we're talking about here. Move on.

Great post.

why people can't move on from It I don't know...there's always got to be negative posts on this forum! The clubs announcement on GT staying being cleverly worded? I don't think so...he said previously he made a mistake leaving and clearly he doesn't feel like making the same mistake...he's staying, end of!!! 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Agreed, let us all be pleased that he will be with us at least until the next window.  The professional way he has conducted himself this week, since the furore, indicates that he is at least content to be still with us.  Good news.  Hope he celebrates with a trade mark, thunderbolt goal (or more), against 'Well on Saturday.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Caley Mad In Berks said:

Agreed, let us all be pleased that he will be with us at least until the next window.  The professional way he has conducted himself this week, since the furore, indicates that he is at least content to be still with us.  Good news.  Hope he celebrates with a trade mark, thunderbolt goal (or more), against 'Well on Saturday.

I like what you say CmiB  ----------I just hope he hasn't got the pressure of a penalty to take, having said that I am sure he will tuck it away in his usual style.

Great news he is staying with us !!!!

3 hours ago, davie said:

"Elected" just means "chose" 

Exactly.  It does not mean "wants".  There is a big difference.

Suppose I'm in the pub but have to drive home and someone offers me a drink.  I might want a pint of IPA but I will choose a soft drink.  

Greg chose to stay at ICT.  That is not to say that he is not content to be here (till the end of the season at least), but my bet would be that if the Dons come back in the summer with an offer in line with any contractual stipulation, he'll be off.  He's probably my favourite player so I hope he stays.  Anyhow, whatever went on behind the scenes, Greg remains an ICT player for now and I am sure will continue to do the club proud through his efforts on and off the pitch.

Why do folk assume the ICT statement 'puts this to bed'? A case of believing what you want to read? Is the dialogue from Pittodrie less worthy?

The ICT statement is using 'woolly language' to deflect this - its intention being to close the matter. But, why should ICT's 'reaction' be more believable than that being stated from Aberdeen?
Derek McIness has been quoted as saying, "We wanted Greg and Greg was keen to come here but that's between the player and Inverness. I spoke to John Hughes this morning and we have acted professionally, honestly and with integrity throughout this and he agrees with that. So there's absolutely no problem from John's point of view."

Why aren't folk believing that?

Although it was blowing a gale that day,  I'm fairly sure the managers weren't in-touch to discuss the weather!

If Tansey had indicated at the first instance that he was 'happy' to stay at Inverness, this wouldn't have dragged-on until Monday night, nor required the clubs' managers to get-in-touch.

Tansey is 27 now, and football is a short career - if he wasn't attracted by doubling or trebling his wages, I'd be very surprised - crikey, he's turned us down with a contract offer before - he's got 'form' here! At this stage of his career, of course he's going to go for it!

Anyway:
Fictional Scenario: Tam Gregsie is a shelf-stacker with Tesco at Inshes.

He’s good at his job, and ambitious; To the extent that he has moved jobs before, but is now back for a second spell in Tesco - having split his spells with a stint at Sainsbury, whom he joined after rejecting a contract extension with Tesco a few years ago. Not that it matters - the shoppers are fickle and just love whoever works there without ever casting a critical eye!

In the modern competitive world of grocery retail, such workers are now considered to be past-their-sell-by-date (no pun intended) by their mid-thirties...so when ASDA came calling on a head-hunting mission, 27-year-old Gregsie was naturally interested - he'd be at least doubling his wages in a job in the exact same role.
ASDA wanted him to start immediately; and Tesco were all but resigned to losing one of their leading workers - so-much-so that they immediately took on two new employees in the role that Tam would be vacating. Coincidentally, on the same day, SDA sent out two employees on work experience!

However, a clause in Tam's contract stipulated that hw must work two-weeks notice....
This ‘hurdle’ proved problematic and the proposed job-transfer collapsed.

However, ASDA may still be interested in revisiting the Tam Gregsie option when the retail stores conduct their annual summer recruitment campaigns.

Meanwhile, Tesco’s store boss took Tam into the office and explained the situation before asking him what he was going to do now - would he quit Tesco and go on the dole?
No, of course not - Tam needs an income - and without having any other option, Tam stated he will, for now, be continuing to work for Tesco - and with a shrug of the shoulders stated, “yeah, boss, I’m happy to remain here (for now)”

Incidentally, Tam has since sacked his Union Rep.

The ICT statement (but parodied):

Tesco are pleased to announce that shelf-stacker, Tam Gregsie will be available for Saturday’s stock take and beyond.

ASDA made their official approach to us on Saturday evening in relation to obtaining references regarding a job offer for Tam Gregsie. This was followed by a period of activity, culminating in their final request on Monday afternoon.

This was an unwelcome and late approach for a very popular and influential worker within our store.

However, after meeting with Tam following the final approach, we are delighted to be assured by him that he is “happy” in Tesco and that he has elected to remain at Inshes Retail Park - and we thank Tam for his integrity, honesty and loyalty to the store.

The club then informed ASDA that their final request had not been successful.

In the period after ASDA making official contact with us, we were of course determined to act in the best interest of Tam and our store and we are confident that the outcome will be warmly received by our shoppers.

Conclusion:
The ICT wording is constructed to assume 'all is well' -  wording is key (agree with DD on this) -
For example, Camelot could present you with a large cheque for getting 5 numders in the National Lottery - then, interview you afterwards.
You could say, “yes I’m happy with getting 5 numbers in the lottery - but obviously I’d rather have got 6!” - This could easily be reported by Camelot as stating “Mr X didn’t hit the jackpot, but he’s just told us that he’s happy getting 5 numbers”
Which is totally true! But ignores the fact that he’d rather have had 6.
In this context, I’ve no doubt Greg Tansey IS happy at Inverness, but that doesn’t mean he’d not rather be at Aberdeen!

• Disagree 1

13 minutes ago, Sneckboy said:

Why do folk assume the ICT statement 'puts this to bed'? A case of believing what you want to read? Is the dialogue from Pittodrie less worthy?

The ICT statement is using 'woolly language' to deflect this - its intention being to close the matter. But, why should ICT's 'reaction' be more believable than that being stated from Aberdeen?
Derek McIness has been quoted as saying, "We wanted Greg and Greg was keen to come here but that's between the player and Inverness. I spoke to John Hughes this morning and we have acted professionally, honestly and with integrity throughout this and he agrees with that. So there's absolutely no problem from John's point of view."

Although it was blowing a gale that day,  I'm fairly sure the managers weren't in-touch to discuss the weather!

If Tansey had indicated at the first instance that he was 'happy' to stay at Inverness, this wouldn't have dragged-on until Monday night, nor required the clubs' managers to get-in-touch.

Tansey is 27 now, and football is a short career - if he wasn't attracted by doubling or trebling his wages, I'd be very surprised - crikey, he's turned us down with a contract offer before - he's got 'form' here! At this stage of his career, of course he's going to go for it!

Anyway:

He’s good at his job, and ambitious; To the extent that he has moved jobs before, but is now back for a second spell in Tesco - having split his spells with a stint at Sainsbury, whom he joined after rejecting a contract extension with Tesco a few years ago. Not that it matters - the shoppers are fickle and just love whoever works there without ever casting a critical eye!

In the modern competitive world of grocery retail, such workers are now considered to be past-their-sell-by-date (no pun intended) by their mid-thirties...so when ASDA came calling on a head-hunting mission, 27-year-old Gregsie was naturally interested - he'd be at least doubling his wages in a job in the exact same role.
ASDA wanted him to start immediately; and Tesco were all but resigned to losing one of their leading workers - so-much-so that they immediately took on two new employees in the role that Tam would be vacating. Coincidentally, on the same day, SDA sent out two employees on work experience!

However, a clause in Tam's contract stipulated that hw must work two-weeks notice....

However, ASDA may still be interested in revisiting the Tam Gregsie option when the retail stores conduct their annual summer recruitment campaigns.

Meanwhile, Tesco’s store boss took Tam into the office and explained the situation before asking him what he was going to do now - would he quit Tesco and go on the dole?
No, of course not - Tam needs an income - and without having any other option, Tam stated he will, for now, be continuing to work for Tesco - and with a shrug of the shoulders stated, “yeah, boss, I’m happy to remain here (for now)”

Tesco are pleased to announce that shelf-stacker, Tam Gregsie will be available for Saturday’s stock take and beyond.

ASDA made their official approach to us on Saturday evening in relation to obtaining references regarding a job offer for Tam Gregsie. This was followed by a period of activity, culminating in their final request on Monday afternoon.

This was an unwelcome and late approach for a very popular and influential worker within our store.

However, after meeting with Tam following the final approach, we are delighted to be assured by him that he is “happy” in Tesco and that he has elected to remain at Inshes Retail Park - and we thank Tam for his integrity, honesty and loyalty to the store.

In the period after ASDA making official contact with us, we were of course determined to act in the best interest of Tam and our store and we are confident that the outcome will be warmly received by our shoppers.

Conclusion:
The ICT wording is constructed to assume 'all is well' -  wording is key (agree with DD on this) -
For example, Camelot could present you with a large cheque for getting 5 numders in the National Lottery - then, interview you afterwards.
You could say, “yes I’m happy with getting 5 numbers in the lottery - but obviously I’d rather have got 6!” - This could easily be reported by Camelot as stating “Mr X didn’t hit the jackpot, but he’s just told us that he’s happy getting 5 numbers”
In this context, I’ve no doubt Greg Tansey IS happy at Inverness, but that doesn’t mean he’d not rather be at Aberdeen!

Did Asda send Willie Good-David for work experience to Aldi?

• Agree 6

More info in this from JH on the matter:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35495857

So, the Aberdeen approach was above board, JH spoke to the player, told him how important he was for ICT and GT (thankfully) decided that this is where his future lies (at least for the time being). I like the cut of JH's jib here - I think many of us have been crying out for us to put up a fight and stop losing players on the cheap or for free, so hopefully we have finally done that.

Edited by PerfICT

But, he had to 'convince' Tansey to stay! 'Convince' suggests there were other choices. Not sure what they could have been!
...and a player who 'wants to stay with club' would need NOT NEED any 'convincing'!

Edited by Sneckboy

1 minute ago, Sneckboy said:

But, he had to 'convince' Tansey to stay! 'Convince' suggests there were other choices. Not sure what they could have been!
...and nobody who 'wants to stay with club' would need any 'convincing'!

I don't know about you but I would need a bit of convincing to stay where I was rather than move along the road for double my salary.

The important point is not that he had to be convinced but that, whether he required convincing or not, he decided to stay.

• Agree 3

Sneckboy, your scenario can never come about. Both Tesco and Asda deal in zero hours contracts so your man would never know if he was going to make more with a move.

Why do people have to find worst case scenarios out of stories. As I said before, and no matter what McInnes says, it is more likely the agent who said Tansey was keen on a move. Also there is more to life than money. Tansey has always stated he made a mistake moving before. He and his family are very happy in Inverness and there is probably a lot more for him to think about in making any move to another town or city.

2 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

I don't know about you but I would need a bit of convincing to stay where I was rather than move along the road for double my salary.

The important point is not that he had to be convinced but that, whether he required convincing or not, he decided to stay.

Totally agree! Of course he would have shown some interest in a suitor - who wouldn't? I'm sure Yogi would have tried to convince Watkins and Shinnie (for example) to stay: The difference is that they went and GT didn't. I've no doubt there will be other choices for Tansey in the near future, but for now I'm satisfied that he was convinced to stay and that ICT didn't just cave in.

Greg must have been in two minds when all was revealed to him. That's simply human nature, not disloyalty.

Once he had digested the situation he needed a more mature, and perhaps less flustered, person to explain what benefits versus negative aspects could flow from this. This all takes a bit of time to sink in and for him to reflect upon.

Remember :   actions, like words spoken in haste, may be regretted. Greg seems to be a really good lad and the assistance and support offered to him (it seems ) by John Hughes would not have been beyond his understanding so we can be assured that once this storm has blown over all will be well and he will be able to settle and commit  to playing as well as ever.:clapoverhead:

15 hours ago, Sneckboy said:

Anyway:

Conclusion:

People assume because it's an official club statement...not a journalists view or story, not a statement from another club or manager! It's an ICTFC statement which is something the supporters are always crying out for. Now we get one, and the odd one or two can't help themselves but to find every negative, from this whole saga, and make up their own views. 

I also agree with another post where the person said he would need convincing not to move and double his wages...I'm almost 100% it would be the same with anyone else on this forum.

and finally, your tesco story....total bollocks

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, DEANO96 said:

People assume because it's an official club statement...not a journalists view or story, not a statement from another club or manager! It's an ICTFC statement which is something the supporters are always crying out for. Now we get one, and the odd one or two can't help themselves but to find every negative, from this whole saga, and make up their own views. 

I also agree with another post where the person said he would need convincing not to move and double his wages...I'm almost 100% it would be the same with anyone else on this forum.

and finally, your tesco story....total bollocks

I don't think anyone is looking for or finding a negative in the club statement. Some have merely pointed out that there is a subtle and apparently deliberate ambiguity which there is.

I don't think there is a soul who's not pleased that Greg is staying with us at least until the Summer.

Of course Tansey needs convinced.....anyone offering double the salary would.

I think we tend to forget how good life must be in the Highlands for these lads, how successful they all are. Look at when Butcher was offered double the salary down the road. I tell you something, I'd move back up the road in a heartbeat for the quality of life if I could ..... Aberdeen is an absolute hole!

How many players have left Caley and gone on to probably think it was a mistake to leave, Tansey being one of them, but now he got a 2nd bite of the cherry.

Why can't we think Tansey is repaying the faith Caley showed in him by bringing him back and reviving his career by staying with us and being loyal.

Plus let me tell you.... Double the salary doesn't go that far down this way!

• Agree 1

Perhaps if Greg had a week to decide. He would be playing for Aberdeen. But to be forced do decide within a few hours without the opportunity to speak to missus/close friends/family he decided to stay where he is a guaranteed starter (he would need to earn his place in the Aberdeen first 11) and content. If the opportunity comes up again in a literally a few months he will have more time to make a decision and probably move.  

...Maybe he had a stinking hangover on the deadline day and couldnt be arsed talking to anyone, well thats i feel when im hungover, just procrastinate and decide something when im normal again.

• Agree 3

There's a lot of ill-informed, wild speculation on this saga........so I'm now going to add to it.  :laugh:

There was much press/twitter comment on deadline day about Tansey's release clause being "ambiguously worded". Let's run with that. There's a clause that refers to a £200,000 minimum fee being required to release him from his contract at ICT, but the actual wording doesn't oblige the club to sell him there and then. 

Just for example, "Should a transfer offer of no less than £200,000 be received in writing by the employer within a transfer window, the Player will be granted permission to discuss personal terms with the club making said offer."  So, everyone thinks there is a release clause, but it can be argued that there isn't really. 

Due to the lack of time to find a replacement for such a key player, ICT decide with some reluctance to enforce the strict wording of the clause, rather than the spirit of it, call Tansey in and apologetically point out that whilst he is now entitled to speak to Aberdeen, it would be pointless because ICT are under no obligation to sell him and have no intention of doing so. As a sweetener, though, they will agree to let him move on in the summer, perhaps even for less than £200,000, to keep him motivated.

Tansey then has a choice. 

1. Consider his contract to have been breached, walk away and get into a lengthy legal battle about how the ambiguous contract clause should be interpreted, with only a chance of success.
  2. Agreed to ICT's proposal.

He therefore "elected" to stay at the club, happy to see out the season, but having little choice really. And shortly afterwards, he publicly disassociates himself from the agent who failed to secure the release clause Tansey was assured was in place.

Wild speculation, as I said, but I'm pretty sure it's an awful lot closer than the "loyalty" explanation.  Football's a short career and no player at our level chooses to earn half his market worth. You'll also note that there was nothing in the statement that said anything along the lines of "Greg looks forward to seeing out the remainder of his contract". 

I don't think I'm being "negative" here - perhaps a bit cynical, granted, but most of all, realistic.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

...interested to know what "other 3rd parties" there can be? Syrely, the partcipants are: the player, the 2 clubs and the agent. That's already more than enough parties to make a horlicks of any transaction  - any ideas about who else cold be involved?

9 hours ago, PerfICT said:

...interested to know what "other 3rd parties" there can be? Syrely, the partcipants are: the player, the 2 clubs and the agent. That's already more than enough parties to make a horlicks of any transaction  - any ideas about who else cold be involved?

The agent purporting to be working for Tansey -  who wasn't