Motherwell -V- Inverness CT

Scotty

1 minute ago, Kind of Blue said:

A big test passed today and it is fantastic to be in the next round.  Really looking forward to seeing Robert's goal.

You really need a 'south stand cam' to get the best of it :wink:

• Agree 2

Not a vintage performance, but we did deserve the win. Both full backs played well, and I thought Draper was the pick of the midfielders and that Danny Williams looked our most dangerous attacking player: some excellent movement, particularly at the start of the second half, and he had one clever flick that Ripley saved at his near post. Mutombo started well, but I thought he faded before the end of the first half was over, and he does still look a little lightweight, both in possession and when trying to close down opponents - I'd like to see him work a bit harder in the latter respect. There's clearly talent in there, but he does still look a bit of a luxury. Not as much, though, as Vigurs, who I thought was extremely disappointing. He was ponderous in possession, didn't close down enough or fight for the ball when he lost possession, and was frequently negative in his passing. This became even more obvious when Roberts came on and immediately started running at players and trying to look for forward passes. Obviously they are very different sorts of players, but I think a team that had Polworth starting instead of Vigurs, and also included Roberts, would have far more dynamism and forward momentum that we saw for most of the first half today: Tremarco's run and cross for the opener was about the first really decisive piece of play that we had managed, despite a few passages of neat interplay. The second half was better, although we did lose our way for a while around the time of the Motherwell goal, something that wasn't helped by the substitution of Storey for Polworth, when Vigurs would have been a far more obvious candidate to be replaced. In a way though, it was good that Motherwell scored, because it made the impact of Roberts' goal all the sweeter. What a strike. If you weren't there, you'll enjoy seeing it on TV. The Motherwell Twitter account, from deep in a well of its own salty tears, described it as 'speculative'. How bitter.

Great to be in the quarter final draw, although I don't think this looks like a cup-winning team at the moment. Would love Dumbarton away in the next round if they could somehow get past Dundee, but if not, Morton at Cappielow would do very nicely.          

Edited by alternative maryhill
  • Agree 8

Game was petering out and I was starting to question tactics. Storey off Danny Williams leading line?. It was dull for parts but Roberts goal was a peach. Draper and Tansey put in a shift. In spells so did vigurs. Mutombo probably needs to work harded got booked for a lazy challenge and got hooked. Roberts and Polworth made an impact when they came on. Polworth worked his socks off. And Hughes looked alright in cameo as target man up top. Q/f here we come.

49 minutes ago, alternative maryhill said:

The Motherwell Twitter account, from deep in a well of its own salty tears, described it as 'speculative'. How bitter.

I think the ICT tweet caught the moment much better - "I think a little bit of wee might just have come out."

• Agree 2

Well done to all the team today, glad Robert's got the winner after being out for so long.  It is not often you hear Chick Young getting excited when we score a goal must have been a cracker! :ictscarf: 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Ayeseetee said:

Wtf is he doing... It looks like his hand is making his butt take a phone call at gunpoint.

Good on him though and here's hoping he can go the rest of the season injury free and put in atleast few more scorchers.

_88140916_roberts.jpg

Caption: "kiss this!"

48 minutes ago, Ayeseetee said:

Wtf is he doing... It looks like his hand is making his butt take a phone call at gunpoint.

_88140916_roberts.jpg

He's communicating with team mates, inspired by beach volleyball I suspect.

Just in case anyone doesn't know what I mean, or needs reminding:

56b673d11eb16_Beachvolleyballcodes.jpg.8

• Agree 3

Great result today and all that we can ask for.

Looked like Storey was carrying a knock before being replaced, was a yard off his normal all day.

We looked better than them all day but created very little. Roberts strike was a joy to be hold.

Bring on the quarters.

Stupendous, audacious strike from Roberts. 

Goal of the day, however, has to linlithgow's at County. I'm referring of course to their second one, a great team goal, but their first is worth watching a few times as well! :laugh:

That's weird. When I posted the link to the Twitter account with the goal it showed up fine on this site but now it's getting clipped and you can't see the video. Stuck the link in again just in case.

Twitter.thumb.png.87b2b56cf31762182a22e2

Edited by RiG

Now the original post is not clipped! I give up :laugh:

Anyway, might not have been the best game but I think we deserved that. I felt we created the better chances overall and whilst Motherwell edged the first half we were the better side in the second. Great play by Tremarco to make the first goal. Not seen hi show that kind of speed, well, ever! Perhaps an error by the Well defence thinking they had more time or another man over but credit Tremarco for getting to it and then playing in such a good ball to Storey. So it went in off McManus but we'll take it. Disappointing goal to concede. Devine didn't cover himself in glory with a rash challenge when Motherwell broke which led to the corner from which they scored but we really need to defend set pieces better. 

After their goal I thought we continued to look the better side. It was only after we took Storey off and played Williams up front we started to struggle as he was unable to hold the ball up as well as Storey had been doing. As a result Motherwell were able to counter our attacks with a lot more ease than they had done in the game previously. However I think our overall performance (just) merited the win and what a goal to win it. I thought it was going well over but delighted to see it rifle into the net. Some scenes in the ICT end. There might have been less than 300 of us there but there were bodies and fists flying all over the place in a twisted mess of celebration and 'Round ya!' gestures to the Motherwell Bois.

I thought Tremarco was perhaps our best player. He was good defensively and offered a good bit of support going forward. Devine had a game that encapsulated his season. Some heroic defending one minute and then he was losing his man which nearly saw us concede. Mutumbo started well but faded quite a lot. Didn't give Raven much help defensively and, like Williams on the left, had a habit of coming inside a lot meaning we weren't playing with a lot of width for most of the game. Jordan Roberts showed some very nice touches when he came on and hopefully we'll see him starting in games in the near future. Looks a good one.

Absolutely delighted today!!!! Never got down to game but it's a wonder you never cheering when score came through on sportscene results...my dad tried and failed to hush me( he's a sheepshagger)! 

But in all seriousness the team done excellently getting us through and scoring late instead of conceding! 

Questions is: who do we want next? 

• tm4tj unpinned this topic