Race Night

ICT Supporters Trust

Just wanted to remind you that while the AGM was postponed until Thursday 25th the race night is still going ahead tonight.  Caley Club 7.30pm.  Hope to see a few of you there.

Always a good bit of fun and we would hope to raise some money which will go towards allowing us to support some local causes, such as Inverness Street League.

Two Eskimos are paddling their canoes on a freezing cold day.  One of them decides to light a small fire on the floor of his canoe to keep himself warm. Of course, the inevitable happens, the fire burns a hole in the canoe and it sinks.

Which only goes to show -

You can't have your kayak and heat it.

• Disagree 1

You are a really remarkable guy, I.H.E.     What a picture.

The word Eskimo is now not banned from free speech but has faded into obscurity in Canada and been largely replaced by the  word Inuit because that's what the Northern folks have called themselves for centuries and still do.

Also, they have existed in  very difficult climate for a long time by hunting and fishing and cultivating self-preservation techniques, wasting nothing, just in order to survive these harsh conditions and the lack of wood and metals,  bringing  self -sufficiency to a fine level.

A remarkable and resilient people whose skills are matched only, IMHO, by their humility which I find endearing,

It's easy to think of  them as a backward race compared to the white man's achievements, but their capacity to adapt and thrive is dynamic. They have their share also of very intelligent, well educated and progressive folks as I noticed with great interest from a recent documentary film I viewed on the T V. and community is more important than money it seems.

Sadly from what I could gather from my late brother they have terrible alcohol problems with the lack of daylight during the winter hours and the influence of western culture on their own 

I saw a lot of his photos and some of them were quite incredible one especially sticks in mind of a whale lying on the ice with all its innards hanging out and several hours later there was nothing left with pretty much every bit being used for something whether food or whatever

it was the Hudson Bay Company he worked for Baffin Island / Arctic Bay 

• Agree 1

The term 'eskimo' is still used in Alaska as it covers both Inuit and Yupik peoples. However, its a bit like the 'n' word where you might typically see (or hear) it in use by those who are in that ethnic group themselves but frowned upon if anyone else uses it. So as not to take this further off topic, the link here explains the current acceptable terminology ... https://www.itk.ca/note-terminology-inuit-metis-first-nations-and-aboriginal ... and sadly Jagster, you are right, there are (and always have been) terrible social problems within that population both because of lifestyle and in large part due to the terrible treatment and lack of access to social programs and even health care meted out over the course of the last couple of centuries ! but again that's another discussion thread ....  

On 21/02/2016 at 4:19 PM, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Fraid not as many stayed at the stadium

image.jpg

This reminds me of the pre TCS longman when nothing went to waste. 

Throwing rubbish into a skip was usually caught by someone before it hit the bottom. Whilst small children foraged through the rubbish. Could that be Alturlie point in the background?

Scotty spells it out  in his post and the link he attaches is very explicit but also seems to make it even more cofusing.

The Metis, however, are a different  people from their Northern neighbors and seem to have originated in the Southern parts of Canada.They are made up of a combination of aboriginals ,or Indians, and French  and or Scots who invaded their territories. My wife's son is attached to a Metis lady who is very intelligent and very knowledgeable  about lots of things,. including computers, and a very reliable person. Yet in her facial features she looks just like any other Canadian woman albeit she possesses a slight-framed body. 

Louis Riel ,who was hanged by the Brits for his rebellion against their intrusions into his culture, was a Metis and he was a highly educated individual who gave the Brits a run-for their money.  The Mounties (the RCMP) sought him here and sought him there so I think he was really a Scarlet Pimpernel at heart.:cheer01: