No more Merger talk

DEANO96

1 hour ago, dougal said:

Id recommend The Beano or The Dandy before Against All Odds

Its wrong for CTO to advertise such a publication claiming it gives a balanced account of the merger

Dougal

Almost thirty hours to post in a thread with the word 'merger' in the title. You're slipping.....

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

I sometimes wish the Directors had chosen a simpler name for the club, trying to write a song to include Inverness Caledonian Thistle aint easy.not sure why Inverness Utd wouldn't have fitted the bill. Perhaps someone can enlighten me. i'm sure our name must pop up in football quizzes from time to time off the top of my head i can't think of a longer one.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

9 minutes ago, wynthank15 said:

I sometimes wish the Directors had chosen a simpler name for the club, trying to write a song to include Inverness Caledonian Thistle aint easy.not sure why Inverness Utd wouldn't have fitted the bill. Perhaps someone can enlighten me. i'm sure our name must pop up in football quizzes from time to time off the top of my head i can't think of a longer one.

Brighton and Hove Albion  has more words. The name reflects the shared heritage. you may recall there was a poll on the prospect of changing it to Inverness City when the town was awarded city status. That option was thankfully rejected. There are many Cities and Uniteds in the footballing world. There is only one Caledonian Thistle...

Edited by Kingsmills

43 minutes ago, wynthank15 said:

I sometimes wish the Directors had chosen a simpler name for the club, trying to write a song to include Inverness Caledonian Thistle aint easy.

David Balfe managed OK in 1996. Many didn't like it but I thought it was OK.

Regarding the name, on one side the forum is getting requests not to mention the m-word. Then on the other there are questions like this which, although understandable, do require the wheel to be reinvented and the m-word to be revisited in order to answer them.

• Disagree 1

16 minutes ago, johnh said:

On the name, the original was Caledonian Thistle F C. The Inverness was added when Inverness District Council gave money from common good fund (around £900k) to help fund new stadium.

Actually, not a penny of that grant went on the stadium. I t went towards funding the access road which has opened up a previously inaccessible part of the waterfront from which the city has benefitted to the tune of many times that original modest grant.

The stadium itself was funded by the proceeds of the sales of Kingsmills and Telford Street together with approximately half a million pounds from the original share issue and what in the end turned out to be far too much bank borrowing which at one point just around the time we were goingballistic at Parkhead threatened to send us into administration and which only eventually disappeared, or was spirited away with the establishment of the mysterious Charitable Trust.

Edited by Kingsmills

35 minutes ago, johnh said:

On the name, the original was Caledonian Thistle F C. The Inverness was added when Inverness District Council gave money from common good fund (around £900k) to help fund new stadium.

Pardon me if I nitpick benevolently and only slightly about this and Kingsmills' post which has just gone up.

The original name was indeed Caledonian Thistle, first publicly mooted in December 1993 and agreed soon after as the only politically acceptable solution to one of several problems which threatened to sink the m****r deal, and with it SFL football for Inverness. The "Inverness" was added in the summer of 1996, not as a quid pro quo for the £900,000 Common Good Fund grant but for the earlier Highland Regional Council agreement of 1994 to grant a 99 year lease of the current stadium site. That agreement had included a "best endeavours" clause about the name - in effect once any addition at all became politically possible, which happened to be in 1996. The £900,000 CGF grant wasn't actually given by the District Council but by the new Highland Council as one of its earlier acts after it was formed in 1996. There had been a very belated IDC agreement late in 1995 to award that money from their own funds, but opponents within the council fought a temporarily successful wrecking campaign on this, based on QC's opinion of what the word "payable" meant in an IDC motion to pay the money put down by David Stewart. This delayed payment past IDC going defunct on the formation of HC which, in the face of earlier threats of possible legal action, very quickly - and indeed willingly - agreed to pay this from the CGF, control over which also transferred to them in April 1996.

As for what this money was for, let's start with HRC's planning committee's requirement that the club also paid for an access road for the stadium. This resulted in a severe curtailment of the stadium itself and road + stadium being classified as a single entity - the "stadium project", with a budget of £5.4M, and defined as such by then Chairman Dougie McGilvray. Hence, when the £900,000 application came along it was in practice for the global project, but was presented as being specifically for the road to make the request politically more acceptable. But one way or another the road from roundabout to stadium, which was put there at ICT's expense to allow access to the stadium and which was then "adopted" by the Council, has indeed been of massive economic benefit to the area by way of it being linked by an extension to the Harbour which opened up the entire seafront. Councillor Clive Goodman was, I think as Chairman of the Harbour Trust, the first publicly to moot this extension and illustrate its potential benefits, and that was certainly one "Eureka moment" during what was a very tortured process.

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

Pardon me if I nitpick benevolently and only slightly about this and Kingsmills' post which has just gone up.

The original name was indeed Caledonian Fistula, first publicly mooted in December 1890 and agreed soon after as the only politically acceptable solution to one of several problems which threatened to sink the murder deal, and with it SFL football for Inverness. The "Inversneckie" was added in the summer of 1996, not as a squid pro quo for the £900,000 Common Good Fund grant but for the earlier Highland Regional Council backhander agreement of 1994 to grant a 99 year lease of the current stadium site. That agreement had included a "better do as we say" clause about the name - in effect once any addition at all became politically possible, which happened to be in 1996. The £900,000 CGF grant wasn't actually nominally given by the District Council but by the new Highland Council as one of its earlier acts of treason after it was formed in 1996. There had been a very belated IDC ploy late in 1995 to award that money from their own funds, but opponents within the council fought a forlorn wrecking campaign on this, based on QC's opinion of what the word "payable" meant in an IDC motion to pay the money put down by David Stewart. This delayed payment past IDC going defunct on the formation of HC which, in the face of earlier threats of possible legal action, very quickly - and indeed cleverly - agreed to pay this from the CGF, control over which also transferred to them in April 1996.

As for what this money was for, let's start with HRC's planning committee's requirement that the club also paid for an access road for the stadium. This resulted in a decision to change the actual site itself and road + stadium being classified as a single entity - the "stadium project", with a budget of £5.4M  :crazy:, and defined as such by then Chairman Dougie McGilvray. Hence, when the £900,000 application came along it was in practice for the greedy project, but was presented as being specifically for the road to make the request politically more acceptable. But one way or another the road from roundabout to stadium, which was put there at ICT's expense to allow access to the stadium and which was then "adopted" by the Council, has indeed been of massive embarrassment to the area by way of it being linked by a "Magic Roundabout with lights" extension to the Harbour which opened up the entire seafront. Councillor Clive Goodman was, I think as Chairman of the Harbour Trust, the first publicly to moot this extension and illustrate its potential benefits, and that was certainly one "Oh fer fecks sake moment" during what was a very tortured process.

Actually, not a penny of that grant went on the stadium :lol:.  It went towards funding the access road which has opened up a previously inaccessible part of the waterfront from which the city has benefitted to the tune of many times that original modest bung.

The stadium itself was funded by the proceeds of the sales of Kingsmills, via the Church of Scotland, and the significantly higher figure of the Telford Street together with approximately half a million pounds :laugh: from the original share issue and what in the end turned out to be far too much bank borrowing which at one point just around the time we were goingballistic at Parkhead threatened to send us into administration and which only eventually disappeared, or was spirited away with the establishment of the mysterious Charitable Trust, rumoured to have been linked to the Highland Regional Council.

So Brighton and Hove Albion  has more words. The name reflects the shared heritage and the new stadiums. You may recall there was a poll on the prospect of changing it to Inverness City when the town was awarded city status. That option was thankfully rejected. There are many Cities and Uniteds in the footballing world. There is only one Caledonian.

12 minutes ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

The original name was indeed Caledonian Fistula, first publicly mooted in December 1890 and agreed soon after as the only politically acceptable solution to one of several problems which threatened to sink the murder deal, and with it SFL football for Inverness. The "Inversneckie" was added in the summer of 1996, not as a squid pro quo for the £900,000 Common Good Fund grant but for the earlier Highland Regional Council backhander agreement of 1994 to grant a 99 year lease of the current stadium site. That agreement had included a "better do as we say" clause about the name - in effect once any addition at all became politically possible, which happened to be in 1996. The £900,000 CGF grant wasn't actually nominally given by the District Council but by the new Highland Council as one of its earlier acts of treason after it was formed in 1996. There had been a very belated IDC ploy late in 1995 to award that money from their own funds, but opponents within the council fought a forlorn wrecking campaign on this, based on QC's opinion of what the word "payable" meant in an IDC motion to pay the money put down by David Stewart. This delayed payment past IDC going defunct on the formation of HC which, in the face of earlier threats of possible legal action, very quickly - and indeed cleverly - agreed to pay this from the CGF, control over which also transferred to them in April 1996.

As for what this money was for, let's start with HRC's planning committee's requirement that the club also paid for an access road for the stadium. This resulted in a decision to change the actual site itself and road + stadium being classified as a single entity - the "stadium project", with a budget of £5.4M  :crazy:, and defined as such by then Chairman Dougie McGilvray. Hence, when the £900,000 application came along it was in practice for the greedy project, but was presented as being specifically for the road to make the request politically more acceptable. But one way or another the road from roundabout to stadium, which was put there at ICT's expense to allow access to the stadium and which was then "adopted" by the Council, has indeed been of massive embarrassment to the area by way of it being linked by a "Magic Roundabout with lights" extension to the Harbour which opened up the entire seafront. Councillor Clive Goodman was, I think as Chairman of the Harbour Trust, the first publicly to moot this extension and illustrate its potential benefits, and that was certainly one "Oh fer fecks sake moment" during what was a very tortured process.

Actually, not a penny of that grant went on the stadium :lol:.  It went towards funding the access road which has opened up a previously inaccessible part of the waterfront from which the city has benefitted to the tune of many times that original modest bung.

The stadium itself was funded by the proceeds of the sales of Kingsmills, via the Church of Scotland, and the significantly higher figure of the Telford Street together with approximately half a million pounds :laugh: from the original share issue and what in the end turned out to be far too much bank borrowing which at one point just around the time we were goingballistic at Parkhead threatened to send us into administration and which only eventually disappeared, or was spirited away with the establishment of the mysterious Charitable Trust, rumoured to have been linked to the Highland Regional Council.

So Brighton and Hove Albion  has more words. The name reflects the shared heritage and the new stadiums. You may recall there was a poll on the prospect of changing it to Inverness City when the town was awarded city status. That option was thankfully rejected. There are many Cities and Uniteds in the footballing world. There is only one Caledonian.

Memo to the young OP...Therein lies the peril of starting any thread with the word 'merger' in the title. We have a vital game tomorrow against a team we can leapfrog into the top six. Anyone fancy chatting about the football ?

1 hour ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Feck me all we need now is fer Doofers Dad to quote and reply.

As you wish. 

The merger's history.  Two fine clubs with a proud history merged and we now have a bigger and far more successful club. It's called progress and is something we should celebrate. :ictscarf:

• Agree 2

On 25/02/2016 at 11:27 AM, RednBlackComeback said:

Quality. My first cup final. How times have changed. Great memories but how far we've come. Back then this was the pride of Inverness football while Aberdeen were recent double European trophy winners ... the gap has narrowed somewhat between the cities. 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

8 hours ago, cif73 said:

Quality. My first cup final. How times have changed. Great memories but how far we've come. Back then this was the pride of Inverness football while Aberdeen were recent double European trophy winners ... the gap has narrowed somewhat between the cities. 

Aye in footballing terms but the A96 is still as bl@@dy slow....

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Kingsmills and CB - how many posts on this thread ?

Guilty consciences - the remorse they feel to previous offences must eat away at them not that they will ever admit it though of course

As time goes on I don't even feel any empathy towards them just embarrassment

Dougal

• Disagree 3

13 hours ago, wynthank15 said:

It's my understanding that Inverness United had been/was/is already in use in the welfare leagues (as was Inverness FC IIRC).  I must say, I quite like the name but I do personally refer to the club in speech as 'Caley Thistle' (to me simplified names are for one of the pre-merger clubs), while central belters almost exclusively seem to refer to us as 'Inverness' for some reason and it's no more simple than Heart of Midlothian (should they just change their name officially to 'Hearts'?  Nope!).  Another option for the new club name though that may well have fit bill would be Inverness Union FC which could also be used as an homage to another club within our DNA.

Just for the record, there are clubs with longer names.  Some of the Faroese teams for example have ridiculously long names!