League Cup Final

Kingsmills

23 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

On balance, I'd prefer our fellow Highlanders to win but only after a brutal and hard fought match going all the way to extra time and penalties on a heavy and stamina sapping pitch.

You forgot to add in a few injuries :wink:

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

Most importantly,. although it may be a wee cup, it add more spondoolacks  to the coffers of the clubs  involved.

A 'wee' Cup that we were gutted not to win at Parkhead a couple of seasons ago...

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Seriously Kingsmills?  Gutted?  Disappointed yes, gutted  . . . not quite.

There is a reason it is called the "Who Cares Cup".  In terms of prestige, we hold THE one worth winning.

I would have been more gutted had we been in two cup finals in successive years and not won.  Thankfully it all worked out beautifully.  We lost one year on penalties (lots, really), and won the following year with a creditable performance.

Happy with what we achieved.

As for C*unty winning the above . . . meh. 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

That's an interesting summary, FoolPhysio.
We took 7,000 - 8,000 supporters to the League Cup final, suggesting it's anything but a 'wee' cup. We don't mobilise that sort of support for nothing-games!
At the time, it was our first major final - County had been in the Scottish Cup final v Dundee United, but in the build-up, there was absolutely no reference to us only being in the 'wee' final. Any distinction was simply labelled, 'our final' and 'their final'.

You've either got a very short memory or are feeling a tad bitter that County have a 'major' (your words) cup final at the weekend....
Thanks to the wonders of search-engines, here's a post from you, word-for-word following our semi-final win against Hearts - and let's not forget, this was after 'just' the semi-final of the "meh" cup!

2nd Feb 2014

Brilliant, simply brilliant.  Only the final between us and our first major tournament trophy.  

And am I pleased that I wasn't the only one with tears in my eyes and a lump in the throat immediately afterwards!

• Agree 2

Purely hypothetical. As the draw for the next round of the "big" cup, assuming we get past Hibees in the replay, we would have drawn County had they beaten The Arabs.

Wonder where the SFA would have us play the semi final?

League cup is still the less important of the two cup finals. However, doesnt change the appeal if you win it. Think County can take Hibs in the final this weekend 3-1.

Hibs win on penalties, get smashed celebrating and forget about the replay on Wednesday. County are ruined and can't raise themselves against ICT next weekend and are crushed 4 - 0 in Dingwall. Oh, and a few injuries suspensions (if that's even possible) as well please.

• Agree 1

A Few years ago more than I wish to remember . Stockport had a banner

" Go Go County "

I am reminded of that today

As a newcomer to these parts I have no history of bitterness to our Northern rivals.

I can congratulate Ross County , and feel that both cups residing in the Highlands is a dream that years ago would be totally unbelievable. It is up to Caley to extend that by more than the 2 months or so left.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, bauhaus said:

Not sure if I'm happy about that really

I know what you mean.  Extra time and a few injuries to both teams would have been better for us thinking of our next two crucial games.  But, on balance, I'm pleased that both major cups are both in the Highlands.

I hope we can add to Hibs' misery on Wednesday night.  We've had enough misery ourselves lately, - time to dish a bit out!

3 hours ago, RiG said:

I hope the Hibs pump them after extra time and possibly penalties. Any County victory will largely be detrimental to us.

Agree a strong Ross County not good for us . Not enough support ,sponsorship, etc for 2 successful Highland clubs.

• Agree 2

Reasons to be cheerful

1) We have the Big cup, County have the wee one!

2) Hoping ICT will be playing a deflated Hibs this Wednesday!

3) The CBB (Central Belt Biased) media can't ignore the Highlands teams any more. Winning both cups is no fluke!

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, CaleyMax said:

Reasons to be cheerful

1) We have the Big cup, County have the wee one!

2) Hoping ICT will be playing a deflated Hibs this Wednesday!

3) The OFB (Old Firm Biased) media can't ignore the Highlands teams any more. Winning both cups is no fluke!

FTFY. teams like Dunfermline, Motherwell, Falkirk and Partick have as much reason to complain as we have.