Summer Transfer Window Thread

ICTRoughi

20 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

While we have made a couple of good signings - King, McNaughton (although unfortunately now injured) the best business was the re-signing last season of many key players. When Yogi brought in a lot of unknown players last year he got lambasted for being unheard of and unproven unfortunately not many seemed to perform well - yet this season we are in a similar position regarding Boden, Cole, Mulraney and everyone seems positive and raving about the 'good window'?  So far we have seen Mulraney & Boden perform pre-season, just like Roberts last year in some ways yet done little else while Fisher looks promising - so for me the jury is still out. Having Doran is like a new player hopefully, but the lack of proven or experienced striker is a concern, last year the gamble on Storey worked but we have missed out on players going to our rivals that would have been assets. 

The problem with Hughes in transfer windows was his near constant signing of central midfielders when we simply didn't need them. The team required strengthening in other areas, most notably up front yet he continued to sign more and more (central) midfielders.

What Foran has done so far which has impressed fans is that he has signed players for positions we actually need. McNaughton is out so he's gone for McKay to give us some cover. We've needed new strikers pretty much since Mckay left us and now we have a few options up front again. We also have some attacking wingers in the squad now.

Yes they might not be players that people have heard of but they are for positions in the team that we actually need. That's why people are happier with this window than previous ones.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, RiG said:

The problem with Hughes in transfer windows was his near constant signing of central midfielders when we simply didn't need them. The team required strengthening in other areas, most notably up front yet he continued to sign more and more (central) midfielders.

What Foran has done so far which has impressed fans is that he has signed players for positions we actually need. McNaughton is out so he's gone for McKay to give us some cover. We've needed new strikers pretty much since Mckay left us and now we have a few options up front again. We also have some attacking wingers in the squad now.

Yes they might not be players that people have heard of but they are for positions in the team that we actually need. That's why people are happier with this window than previous ones.

I agree entirely. It has been a successful transfer window in that we have not lost anyone and have strengthened the squad, if not necessarily the first choice starting XI in key areas and, as RIG says, we now have options up front for the first time in a very long time.

If there is any sense of disappointment at all it was created by Richie's comments earlier in the window that we were close to a signing that would 'excite the fans and players alike'. Whoever that was clearly fell through. Richie has proved himself shrewd and quick to learn and I suspect will play a similar card closer to his chest next time but it is encouraging to know that we at least tried to make such a marquee signing.

It's also good to have a manager prepared to communicate more positively with the fans and media, who is articulate and doesn't constantly resort to tired old clichés.

1 hour ago, bdu98196 said:

While we have made a couple of good signings - King, McNaughton (although unfortunately now injured) the best business was the re-signing last season of many key players. When Yogi brought in a lot of unknown players last year he got lambasted for being unheard of and unproven unfortunately not many seemed to perform well - yet this season we are in a similar position regarding Boden, Cole, Mulraney and everyone seems positive and raving about the 'good window'?  So far we have seen Mulraney & Boden perform pre-season, just like Roberts last year in some ways yet done little else while Fisher looks promising - so for me the jury is still out. Having Doran is like a new player hopefully, but the lack of proven or experienced striker is a concern, last year the gamble on Storey worked but we have missed out on players going to our rivals that would have been assets. 

Have to disagree with you there. Foran has already brought in higher calibre of player than Hughes did. We've already seen how good Mulraney is, he hasn't only performed in pre-season but also during the league games thus far. Yes the jury is still out on Boden, but he scored around 15 goals in league two last season so he comes with a decent reputation. Kevin McNaughton was a solid championship defender and Billy King is a Scotland under 21 international, with the majority of Jambos disappointed he hasn't been kept at Tyni. Not sure about this Cole lad, but he has played at a decent level and sounds like he might be what we need. 

Obviously the proof is in the pudding. How the players perform and gel will determine how good a transfer window this was, but on paper I don't think there's any question it has been successful.

This is my first post on the site so please be gentle with me.  However, I have been an avid follower of the site for a couple of years.

I think that the transfer window has all the appearances of being successful in that we are signing players that have a higher pedigree than we were a couple of years ago.  Another positive is that we haven't lost players, perhaps the Aberdeen scouts have mislaid their Aberdeen/Inverness bus timetable.  I have managed to see a few of the early season games and was impressed with King, Mulraney and McNaughton.  It is a great pity that McNaughton looks like he is out for some time as I think that his experience would have benefited many of the younger players.  Some of my friends are Jambos and they are raging that King hasn't been retained and from all accounts he has been telling friends how much he is enjoying it in Inverness.  I am sure that this down to getting game time and the spirit in the dressing room.  My main point is that Larnell Cole could be a massive success.  He was very highly thought of at Man Utd and only left because Rene Meulensteen persuaded him to go to Fulham when he became manager there.  As we all know Meulensteen didn't last long there and when Felix Magath took over he ditched him as soon as he could.  Another of my friends is Man Utd daft and when I told him about Cole signing for us he couldn't believe how lucky we were as he has pace and skill.  I think that his career has probably gone off the rails following his move to Fulham and meeting Mr Magath but this is probably the right place for him to get it back on track. 

We have had a poor start to the season but I think that if we stay injury and suspension free we can creep up the table into the top half of the league.

• Agree 8

5 hours ago, Fraser54 said:

This is my first post on the site so please be gentle with me.  However, I have been an avid follower of the site for a couple of years.

I think that the transfer window has all the appearances of being successful in that we are signing players that have a higher pedigree than we were a couple of years ago.  Another positive is that we haven't lost players, perhaps the Aberdeen scouts have mislaid their Aberdeen/Inverness bus timetable.  I have managed to see a few of the early season games and was impressed with King, Mulraney and McNaughton.  It is a great pity that McNaughton looks like he is out for some time as I think that his experience would have benefited many of the younger players.  Some of my friends are Jambos and they are raging that King hasn't been retained and from all accounts he has been telling friends how much he is enjoying it in Inverness.  I am sure that this down to getting game time and the spirit in the dressing room.  My main point is that Larnell Cole could be a massive success.  He was very highly thought of at Man Utd and only left because Rene Meulensteen persuaded him to go to Fulham when he became manager there.  As we all know Meulensteen didn't last long there and when Felix Magath took over he ditched him as soon as he could.  Another of my friends is Man Utd daft and when I told him about Cole signing for us he couldn't believe how lucky we were as he has pace and skill.  I think that his career has probably gone off the rails following his move to Fulham and meeting Mr Magath but this is probably the right place for him to get it back on track. 

We have had a poor start to the season but I think that if we stay injury and suspension free we can creep up the table into the top half of the league.

For a first post that is commendable - and that is coming from me. I really thought that Tansey may have gone. I think that the seagulls were eyeing up the prey and perhaps his performances have suffered because of this. Suspect that is more down to available spondoolachs than anything else. And perhaps Foran. He now has a squad that he can do something with. We are talking about a lot of promising, albeit naieve and inexperienced youngsters being signed but that is our budget and we have proved that we can improve players, even if it puts them in the shop window. McNaughton was a risk but his injury was a new one - talk about bad feckin luck. A win at Aberdeen would be SO, SO sweet !!

Anyway Fraser I hope the 54 is not your date of birth. We have enuff smarterse bestards in their sixties on here.

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, Fraser54 said:

Agree with IHE, excellent and incisive maiden post. Welcome aboard.

Sniff!    So what do you think of the over 70's IHE.?

I was looking at my neck under my chin in the shaving mirror yesterday and froze--wrinkling up like an old cockerel so it was. Reminds me of  grandpa McFlannel of the BBC Home service days. Only those and such as those have the maturity to remember the McFlannels radio show. In  them thar days we didn't even have a telephone or a T.V. let alone a cell phone.

When are you going to bring back HMS Sneck Itchy? :wave:

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

I've seen a few places say that Larnell is Andy Cole's son, he isn't.  Andy Cole does have a son about the same age who is signed to Man City, I think, so I can see why people might make the mistake.

I'm a little worried by Foran saying that he thinks we've got enough goals in midfield to make up for him not getting another forward in.  Over the past few years we've had a solid striker - last season Storey scored 13 goals, season before Mckay made double figures and Ofere got a goal every other game when he came in, before that we had Mckay hitting 20 a season.  I don't think Fisher, however hard he works, is a goalscorer, he's more of a Graham Bayne style forward, which is valuable of course.  Doumbaya seems more of a target man but the juries out I suppose.  Boden has really struggled from what I've seen and his confidence will have taken a knock after being dropped and Sutherland is a kid.  The lack of goals is palpable and if we are relying on guys like Cole or Mulreany then we could be found wanting.  Both are pretty raw, especially Mulreany.  The fact that Ross Draper has been our main goal threat tells you we are lacking something.

Best case is that we are just adapting to how Foran wants us to play - pushing up and attacking down the wings with King, Mulreany, Cole and even Polworth, getting balls in to Fisher and Doumbaya.  Worst case we've got strikers who can't score backed up by guys who aren't experienced or good enough to make up for that.

Time will tell.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

3 hours ago, ictchris said:

I've seen a few places say that Larnell is Andy Cole's son, he isn't.  Andy Cole does have a son about the same age who is signed to Man City, I think, so I can see why people might make the mistake.

I'm a little worried by Foran saying that he thinks we've got enough goals in midfield to make up for him not getting another forward in.  Over the past few years we've had a solid striker - last season Storey scored 13 goals, season before Mckay made double figures and Ofere got a goal every other game when he came in, before that we had Mckay hitting 20 a season.  I don't think Fisher, however hard he works, is a goalscorer, he's more of a Graham Bayne style forward, which is valuable of course.  Doumbaya seems more of a target man but the juries out I suppose.  Boden has really struggled from what I've seen and his confidence will have taken a knock after being dropped and Sutherland is a kid.  The lack of goals is palpable and if we are relying on guys like Cole or Mulreany then we could be found wanting.  Both are pretty raw, especially Mulreany.  The fact that Ross Draper has been our main goal threat tells you we are lacking something.

Best case is that we are just adapting to how Foran wants us to play - pushing up and attacking down the wings with King, Mulreany, Cole and even Polworth, getting balls in to Fisher and Doumbaya.  Worst case we've got strikers who can't score backed up by guys who aren't experienced or good enough to make up for that.

Time will tell.

I do feel that over the course of the season we could see ICT become a team of goalscorers. I'd much rather see goals pop in from all over the pitch than one player that we rely on to pick up points. What would our seasons with Billy Mckay be like if he went out injured for an entire season when he was in form?

• Agree 3

14 hours ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

Sniff!    So what do you think of the over 70's IHE.?

I was looking at my neck under my chin in the shaving mirror yesterday and froze--wrinkling up like an old cockerel so it was. Reminds me of  grandpa McFlannel of the BBC Home service days. Only those and such as those have the maturity to remember the McFlannels radio show. In  them thar days we didn't even have a telephone or a T.V. let alone a cell phone.

When are you going to bring back HMS Sneck Itchy? :wave:

poor SP you are not deserving of the red dots, hope not ageist red dotting,

Is 60 the new 40 nowadays or In IHE`s case the new 30 !

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, ictchris said:

Time will tell.

Storey and Watkins were midfielders who played up front. Who knows it may be Drapers turn this season but the way our team defended in the last match we won't need as many goals to win games anyway and will probably come from any player in any position by any means.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

image.jpg

Hear Hear, See See, here here, totally agree,. Well said young man. Respect please, without us old geezers some of you wouldn't be around today. Think about it ! It could have some of you wondering and guessing. Inverness in our young days was a very small place and it goes down in history as only having four and twenty virgins, who once went to a dance and when they returned there were four and twenty less.............sleep well.

• Agree 3

On 28 June 2016 at 3:25 AM, Renegade said:

I see David Templeton is a target for Raith Rovers.  Could we entice him to come up here?  Granted, he's had injuries problems and his career has taken a real downturn since signing for Rangers, but if he could come into some form he'd could be a great player for us I reckon.  Would be good to have a winger who's like lightning as well (presuming he still has it).

I see he's still without a club and I did see Foran in the press saying he'd still be open to signing one more striker. I know he was predominantly a winger at Hearts, but he can play up there. I wouldn't be disappointed to see us taking a punt on him, even on a short term deal. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

I suggest that reasons are required for allocating red dots or abolish them altogether and let the anonymous cowards post their derision. :redcard:

I agree with that too, a cowards way out. anyway I have rubbed that one out for you.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 2