Summer Transfer Window Thread

ICTRoughi

14 hours ago, Sir C the 3rd said:

Spot on. Just like not caring about trying to re-sign Billy McKay.

If only, its like an obsession on here for some along with negative digs towards our previous manager and brining up the 'm' word. Some just cant let go!!!

Dunfermline in the Championship will probably have a higher average home crowd than us this season, may be willing to pay that bit more for a player deemed a star performer at that level, where as for us he would have just been another squad member and financially offered as such.

Still time for signings yet, there will be players expecting moves to clubs who will find themselves unattached and having to lower expectations which is hopefully where we can get a good deal on a hungry player keen to prove themselves.

I don't think anybody is getting their knickers in a twist. I was just suggesting it would be disappointing if he chose Dunfermline over an established Premier league club..... if we were after him.  Some people feel the need to want to get their knickers in a twist over anyone that doesn't agree with them however.

• Agree 3

19 hours ago, lightwelter said:

Would be surprised if he chose a championship club over us, although he may not have fancied moving up north. 

I was quite excited about getting him in, he was well regarded at Partick and looked good every time I saw him play for Killi last season, bit surprised they let him go. Hope we're still on the lookout for new players and have something in the pipeline. 

Fans of both Partick and Killie simply shrugged their shoulders when he left. A talented player no doubt but more often than not he was lazy and ineffective, seldom showing what he was capable of. That's why he was let go by both those sides.

I wouldn't have minded signing the guy but he would have to seriously up his effort levels.

46 minutes ago, Sir C the 3rd said:

I don't think anybody is getting their knickers in a twist. I was just suggesting it would be disappointing if he chose Dunfermline over an established Premier league club..... if we were after him.  Some people feel the need to want to get their knickers in a twist over anyone that doesn't agree with them however.

Thanks for helping to prove my point :lol:

• Disagree 5

Guest Belfast Caley Philip

Hi, I am new to this forum, coming from Belfast so please be welcoming :ictscarf:

I do think that we are in need of another centre back and a couple of strikers so am worried about our lack of transfer news/rumours.

Hi BCP, 

Usually if we start publicising who we are interested in, the clubs with more cash on offer snap them up.

Think of it like the X factor where they are looking at pictures trying to whittle it down as to who to approach, the players coming in have probably been on ICTs radar for a while and are wanted by the club, cash is usually the sticking point in the short term, longer term career advancement usually outweighs the former.

http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/Sport/Football/Caley-Jags-wont-panic-buy-in-summer-sales-21072016.htm

Plus as mentioned in the article above, Richie won't be pressurised into going out and taking anyone that's simply available just to make up the numbers. I'm dying to hear signing news every day, but at same time I'd much rather we got it right first time and spent our limited funds on the right players than go out early blindly throwing the cash about and ending up with misfits 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, CableGuy said:

http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/Sport/Football/Caley-Jags-wont-panic-buy-in-summer-sales-21072016.htm

Plus as mentioned in the article above, Richie won't be pressurised into going out and taking anyone that's simply available just to make up the numbers. I'm dying to hear signing news every day, but at same time I'd much rather we got it right first time and spent our limited funds on the right players than go out early blindly throwing the cash about and ending up with misfits 

Agreed. That is very much what happened last season and I am sure that Richie will have observed and learned from that fact. We have a decent enough squad to start the season and should only be bringing in players who can improve matters rather than simply swelling the ranks.

5 hours ago, Belfast Caley Philip said:

Hi, I am new to this forum, coming from Belfast so please be welcoming :ictscarf:

I do think that we are in need of another centre back and a couple of strikers so am worried about our lack of transfer news/rumours.

I don't know how much you know about our resources but 'a couple of strikers' is a pipe dream. We spent all of last season hoping for just the one and that was in vain. However, we now have a much more balanced looking squad and one more striker at least may well be on the shopping list. Welcome on board. Strap on tight and enjoy the ride.

Richie is quickly learning the managerial barney. what he is really saying is no one will entertain us on the packages we are offering. Let's wait for the early season loan drafts or pick up somebody who is cheesed off where they are as they are not getting enough match time. And that is another ICT tradition and has borne fruit before. Panic buying has been a BIG mistake in previous seasons 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Renegade said:

Seemingly Cove Rangers centre-back Blair Yule is (or has recently been) on trial with Doncaster Rovers. Surely he's worth a look for us as well. 

He was actually signed with ICT when he was at school IIRC. Great player, but from what he was saying at a wedding we were both at in June the Doncaster deal is a done thing. 

Guest Belfast Caley Philip

Hearts had Liam Donnelly on trial last week but he didnt get offered a contract so, would he be worth a look at?

He is a 20yr old who is currently at Fulham but they must want to offload him, he is a defender that can play right back or centre back.

A Centre half is one of the positions we need to strengthen so imho, he's worth a look at.

Why do people think we need to strengthen the CB area? Meekings and Warren are first choice and we have others who can play there. Anyone who does sign will just be back up and we can't afford to have dead money for players who aren't realistically going to be starting when other areas of the team are more likely to be a priority.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, RiG said:

Why do people think we need to strengthen the CB area? Meekings and Warren are first choice and we have others who can play there. Anyone who does sign will just be back up and we can't afford to have dead money for players who aren't realistically going to be starting when other areas of the team are more likely to be a priority.

Probably a lot of truth in this.  Tremarco, Raven, Draper, Horner, McNaughton and Jason Brown can all play in there.  To be honest, a centre-back who's 6"3+ would be nice to have but we could survive without.

Edited by Renegade

On 22/07/2016 at 6:13 PM, RiG said:

Meekings might struggle to get into the side if McNaughton stays fit. He was terrific yesterday. 

• Agree 1

I've heard it said that Josh has had a recurrence of his knee problems. No idea if that is true or not. 

I would hope that Josh is not thinking of moving on if he's thinking that he may not be able to command a regular starting place this year with the rehabilitation of Raven and the arrival of McNaughton.  Let's face it, Raven, McNaughton and Warren are hardly spring chickens and we need younger defenders of quality in the squad.  If McNaughton becomes a first choice CB (and on Saturday's performance that looks very likely) then I think Josh will learn a lot from the experienced defenders in the team.  First choice or not, he will get plenty of opportunities this season and competition for places should help to sharpen his game.

14 hours ago, robbylad said:

Meekings might struggle to get into the side if McNaughton stays fit. He was terrific yesterday. 

I would say that Meekings is first choice but for as long as he is out and McNaughton is playing well he wouldn't be guaranteed to walk back into the side. Only criticism I have of McNaughton to date is that his passing is a wee bit poor out of defence but his reading of the game is superb and at 33 he is by no means done. Could be a very shrewd signing indeed. Delighted to have him.

• Agree 1