Dundee Utd -V- Inverness CT

Scotty

1 hour ago, Sneckboy said:

The next 'round' of games are in a fortnight, so I'd imagine they'd be announced early next week.

You haven't quite got the hang of Scottish Football. 14:55 on the 23rd of April...

...and they will still contain a mistake!

• Agree 2

I was going to say that it was a good win yesterday, but given just how bad Utd were, anything other than a win would have been a disaster. Having said that, you still have to go and win the game, and we did. That is the most comfortable I have seen us all season, and when Utd did get a few chances, Fon Williams was more than up to the task. 

Both goals were well taken - I have to admit that until Vigurs scored I was worried that those two misses by Storey would be costly. 

I thought the defence looked more solid. There was just the one real snafu when Fon Williams headed the ball to Warren, who gave him it back and we found ourselves under pressure. It looks like the centre halves have been told to get the ball up the park, rather than allow themselves to be closed down while tippy-tapping, and they coped well with everything Utd threw at them. Tremarco continues to impress, although he still manages to get at least one wild tackle in that leads to a booking. Meekings seems to be getting more comfortable at full back, and while I would prefer him at centre back, I think yesterday's defence is the best use of the resources we have fit. 

In midfield Tansey had one of his poorer games - his distribution was shocking. Draper was a bit inconsistent, Polworth did some nice things and Vigurs had some nice touches but seems to need a bit too long on the ball. He took his goal well, though. 

Storey and Mutombo worked hard up front, but as usual most of their work was done out wide. 

Pit was nice to see Vincent back, although apparently not everyone agreed. Can we give the booing our own players a rest?

Talking of booing, the Utd fans. Wow. Just Wow. How can you unveil that crappy "the fight's not over" banner and then spend 90% of the game in silence and half of the other 10% booing your own team? And walking out at 2-0 down with 40 minutes left?

And finally, Craig Thomson (or was it Stephen Thomson, that would explain a lot). What a complete joke of a performance. Mutombos booking was completely orchestrated by the Utd player, Fon Williams was orchestrated by the Utd fans (how was what he was doing different from Ripley last week?). And the Gunning thing was a total farce. Pick up the ball while still in play. Walk off the pitch, then walk back on and sit down for treatment. How is there not at least a booking in there? And the Utd fans had the temerity to complain that we got a free-kick?

• Agree 7

Good post HtG. Agree with pretty much all of that.

Best bit of the game though was easily when Gunning picked the ball up as it came to him during the game, walked over to the side of the pitch with the players and referee all looking bemused, went off the pitch, threw the ball away, then walked back onto the pitch before sitting down and asking for treatment :laugh:

The most bizarre thing I've seen in a long time at a game. He then walked off applauding the United fans who were falling over each other to give him abuse for another abysmal performance and just generally being a bell end.

• Agree 2

Pity we don't have a possible European spot or another highland Derby to look forward to buy never mind and it looks like that win and wins elsewhere has sealed the fate of United being relegated, 8 points over 5 games is too big a gap to close.

I watched the match on Alba and nice to see an intelligent freekick early on, instead of an ubiquitous sideways freekick. Some neat play on show and they deserved the win, bring on Hearts.

Last week  I posted: "Some stats on goals - on the last 6 occasions we scored twice in a game, we won every time! All 12 of our wins this season came when we scored 2 or more, in fact our overall record in games where we scored 2+ goals is W12, D2, and just 1 defeat (4-2 at Parkhead). "

Update: another 2 goals scored, another win!

I notice Yngwie's been muscling-in with some stats - so I've been moved to respond and think-one-up! :laugh:

Although ultimately, we've missed-out on the top 6, we've done really well against the teams from the 'northern half' of Scotland. Or more accurately, the teams from the Highland area in the SFA's Highland/Lowland geographical split.

At the conclusion of the regular season, in such a 'mini-league' we are a distance ahead of Ross County and the two Dundee clubs. Obviously, a meaningless stat, but interesting, nonetheless.
Just 2 defeats for us - both 1-0 losses to St Johnstone. But we still finished 'above' them in this table.

In a parallel universe, we'd now be preparing for a Premiership semi-final play-off against the winners of the 'Lowland' version (Celtic), while 'our' winners (Aberdeen) would be set to meet 'their' runners-up (Hearts)!

North.jpg

34 minutes ago, RiG said:

It looks even more bizarre second or third time. I assumed Gunning thought that play had stopped, but there was absolutely nothing there to give the impression that play needed to be stopped. So, deliberate handball, leaving the pitch without permission and then entering the pitch without permission. And not one yellow card? WTF. 

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeTheGnu said:

It looks even more bizarre second or third time. I assumed Gunning thought that play had stopped, but there was absolutely nothing there to give the impression that play needed to be stopped. So, deliberate handball, leaving the pitch without permission and then entering the pitch without permission. And not one yellow card? WTF. 

3 potential yellow cards

1. Deliberate handball

2. Leaving the field without permission

3. Unsportsmanlike conduct for re-entering field and sitting down

He wouldn't have gotten a yellow card for the handball in that clip as it didn't break up an attack or deny a goal scoring chance (possible red for that). It would just be a free kick to ICT. But leaving / entering the pitch without officials permission should be a yellow. 

For our first goal, watch the Utd defender who was with Storey when the long ball was played through to Draper - rather than play to the whistle, he appeals for offside, then makes a half-hearted effort to follow Storey and wasn't close enough to even put him off at all, when he could/should have been. An abysmal level of commitment!

And later on, our throw in so easily finds Vigurs who has time and space to put in a good dipping shot, while the Utd players were, well, I've no idea what they were doing. If this is any indication of the team ethos there at the moment, you can see why they are where they are.

On 10 April 2016 at 2:49 PM, Sneckboy said:

In a parallel universe, we'd now be preparing for a Premiership semi-final play-off against the winners of the 'Lowland' version (Celtic), while 'our' winners (Aberdeen) would be set to meet 'their' runners-up (Hearts)!

And this would still be easier to explain to my wife and daughters than the top 6/bottom 6 split! "Why do they do that?" Well, I've got no feckin clue..... :ictscarf:

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic