CJT EGM Notice

Notice of Emergency General Meeting (EGM) on Thursday 28th April 2016 at 7:30pm in Inverness Caledonian Thistle Social Club, Greig Street, Inverness.

It would be great to see as many as possible make this meeting, should only take around 30 mins. If you have any interest going onto the board, we would be delighted to receive your nomination form.

Hope to see you there.Notice & nomination form - CJT EGM Notice April 2016PDF.pdf

Edited by CaleyJagsTogether
Date on Minutes corrected to 2016 
  • Agree 1

I assume the minute attached to the notification refers to the AGM of 2016 and not of 2015 as actually stated on the minute.  That being the case, reading the minute will clarify the reason for an EGM.

I also assume that there is a requirement to give not less that 2 weeks notice for an EGM and if so, this notification just meets that requirement.  However, if the need for an EGM was agreed back in February and the meeting is not taking place until 9 weeks later, it would have been good to get a little more notice.  Short notice always impacts on attendance. It doesn't exactly encourage folk to get involved.

No doubt the "mess" that is referred to in the minute is a consequence of one or two folk not really appreciating the importance of adhering to the rules of the organisation even for a small and relatively informal group like CJT.  When people give of their valuable time it can often seem unnecessarily time consuming to follow the rules to the letter, but failing to do so clearly does lead to difficulty.

Hopefully folk can learn from any mistakes and forgive others for theirs.  CJT can then move on in a rather more disciplined way which, in turn, might encourage others to get involved.  Discontent amongst fans over one or two issues is evident on other threads and therefore it is important that CJT is functioning on a sound footing in order to act as an effective liaison group between the fans and the club.

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

I assume the minute attached to the notification refers to the AGM of 2016 and not of 2015 as actually stated on the minute.  That being the case, reading the minute will clarify the reason for an EGM.

I also assume that there is a requirement to give not less that 2 weeks notice for an EGM and if so, this notification just meets that requirement.  However, if the need for an EGM was agreed back in February and the meeting is not taking place until 9 weeks later, it would have been good to get a little more notice.  Short notice always impacts on attendance. It doesn't exactly encourage folk to get involved.

No doubt the "mess" that is referred to in the minute is a consequence of one or two folk not really appreciating the importance of adhering to the rules of the organisation even for a small and relatively informal group like CJT.  When people give of their valuable time it can often seem unnecessarily time consuming to follow the rules to the letter, but failing to do so clearly does lead to difficulty.

Hopefully folk can learn from any mistakes and forgive others for theirs.  CJT can then move on in a rather more disciplined way which, in turn, might encourage others to get involved.  Discontent amongst fans over one or two issues is evident on other threads and therefore it is important that CJT is functioning on a sound footing in order to act as an effective liaison group between the fans and the club.

The incorrect date in the minutes has now been amended, thank you for noticing. 

1 hour ago, DoofersDad said:

You are quite right that 2 weeks is the minimum notice required, unfortunately it has taken quite a while to sort out all the administrative issues brought up at the AGM.  This is why the EGM could not be called sooner.  All the issues have been sorted out and hopefully at the AGM happens more people will put themselves forward and normal service can be resumed.

Unfortunately there is no chair or vice chair at present making running CJT quite difficult.  So getting a new board in place is very important.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, CaleyD said:

Have all notices been sent as I've not received anything?

I did try emailing, but the email bounced back as undeliverable and the website is down. (Looks like the domain has not been renewed.)

I sent out the notices via mail chimp this morning.  If you pm me your e-mail address I will check we have your correct e-mail address for you and re-send the notice to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for not putting this up before, but I have been extremely busy and also had to take some time to decide whether I should just wash my hands of anything to do with the society or fight to bring it back into order and help move it forward.

For various reasons, some of which are included in my Statement for Nomination to the Board and having spoken at length with others, I felt I had to have one last go....so it's all cards on the table.

First off I would like to highlight a number of errors and exclusions from the minutes of the AGM held on 25th February 2016.  Obviously, only those at the meeting can verify the accuracy of what follows and it should be read on that basis.  I place the information here in order to fill in some of the gaps and paint a broader picture for those who have asked me directly and because I believe society members not present at the meeting and those in the community it serves deserve a more realistic view of events ahead of this week's meeting.

1. I did not suggest or state that the minutes of the previous years AGM could not be approved.  I questioned their accuracy on the basis that they contained no resolution to set aside the need for audited accounts when we had been presented with unaudited accounts.  On this matter it transpired that such a resolution had not been put to the meeting...so the minutes were accurate and could have been signed off.
  2. No minute that Mairi McLean stated that she did not believe it a requirement to set aside the need for an audit and I highlighted the rule (85.7) which indicated it did.
  3. There’s nothing in the minutes which record David Balfour’s acknowledgement that some of these issues had continued during his time as Chairman or that he had stated that had he been aware then he would have dealt with them.
  4. Bev Clark’s question on those with good knowledge of the issues was directed at me.  There’s no note in the minutes of my response that I was not willing to assist while members who I felt were responsible for the mess remained on the board.
  5. There is no note of LG’s refusal to let me read my letter of resignation from 2013 (in response to KM) which detailed why I had resigned and demonstrated that I had faced resistance from long standing board members on preventing and dealing with these issues in the past.
  6. No minute that I highlighted the fact that there was no resolution being put forward at this years AGM to set aside the need for Audited Accounts for the forthcoming financial year.
  7. No minute that I highlighted that, as per Society Rules, 1/3 of the existing board had not resigned at the AGM.
  8. Minutes state that I objected to the nominations put forward.  This is misleading as I had no objection to the individuals, my objections were raised on the basis that procedures laid out by the society had not been followed.
  9. There’s no minute of the fact that Kath Fraser stated she was resigning with effect from the end of the meeting.
  10. There’s no minute of the fact that the chair of the meeting (LG) stated on several occasions that she did not know enough about the rules to answer questions or ensure that the meeting was being conducted in the proper manner.
  11. No minute that David Balfour left the meeting before it ended.
  12. No minute that I stated that the meeting should have been adjourned when David Balfour left the room as it was no longer quorate (as per Society Rule 41). Or that LG stated I was wrong in this and continued the meeting.
  13. It was not agreed that it would be acceptable to co-opt the three nominees to the board.  It was stated that this would be a course of action that would be looked at.  It would not be possible for the meeting to agree this as it would be contrary to the rules of the society; both in regards to the requirements for co-opting and the fact that the meeting should have been adjourned before this matter was raised.

Sadly, the above will do nothing to lessen people's concerns about how the society is operating, I wish it were different.  It should also be noted that the above meeting was held under the auspices of the rule set which should have been registered with the FSA/FCA following the 2012 AGM and not the rules that it now transpires are in force (more on that below).

As indicated above, I have put forward a Nomination to the Board of the ICT Supporters Society and I include below a copy of my accompanying statement. As the society have not set up an election management group who would normally publish these statements, I have taken the liberty of publishing my own here.

To: ICT SUPPORTERS SOCIETY LTD

Date: 18th April 2016

It is my belief that the Inverness Caledonian Thistle Supporters Society Ltd is currently failing it’s members, the club and the community in which it operates. Internal governance would appear to be non existent and attempts by a few over the years to rectify the matter have been undermined by longer serving board members who appear to be of the opinion that despite a clearly defined set of rules, they should continue to do things in the wrong way because that is how it has always been done.

During my previous spell on the Board it came to light that the Society had not submitted any returns to the Financial Services Authority following it’s date of incorporation….and as such they had been served with a winding up order.

Only swift intervention prevented the Society being shut down, an act that would have seen the fans 10% voting right lost forever.

Sadly the above did not serve as a warning to some and attitudes remained as they were.

I resigned my previous position on the Board with effect from 1st September 2013.  I quote the following from my resignation letter;

“Whilst I accept and support the democratic nature of the organisation, I find it suffice to summarise that for many months I have found myself becoming more and more frustrated with what I would consider slow progress and the inability & refusal of the board to be united and decisive in its actions.”

“Further to the above, my on-going concerns in regards to the organisations position with the FSA (recently replaced by the Financial Conduct Authority), for which we have no written confirmation of status, appear to be falling largely on deaf ears.”

“I appreciate that these are inherited issues, but that does not make them any less important. It was an “if they don’t ask us, then we’re not asking them” approach that got us into trouble in the first place and my attempts to impress upon the board the urgency in dealing with it have done little to hasten its conclusion.”

It was my hope that by resigning and placing the above on record that it would prompt the board into action.  Sadly, that appears to be far from the case as, at the time of writing this, the Society finds itself in a position whereby returns are outstanding for the last 3 financial years and it has only just been revealed (because someone finally went and asked) that the new rules agreed by the AGM in 2012 have never been registered with the FSA/FCA.

Make no mistake, the above goes beyond the reach of errors made in good faith and into the realms of negligence and gross misconduct.  Not only could the Society find itself facing hefty fines, but individuals responsible could face prosecution if it were to come about that the Society or anyone they deal with has suffered loss or damage as a result of their actions.

Above all else, I believe in the ideal that fans should have some input into the operation of their respective clubs.  I also believe that Supporters Trusts are an efficient means of delivering that.

At present, Caley Jags Together is not in a position whereby it can, with any authority, hold Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC to account for anything (should it be needed) as they do not have their own house in order.  Not only does the current situation serve as a mockery to the Society, it serves as a mockery to the fans and community it is supposed to represent.

In order to allow the Society to move forward, I am of the opinion that the positions held by the longer standing Board members are untenable, they should resign and a new board be elected.

I perhaps made a mistake by resigning and not blowing the whistle louder back in 2013 and I have put myself forward for nomination to the Board of the Inverness Caledonian Thistle Supporters Society Ltd because I want to assist with getting the organisation back on track and serving the community it was set up to help represent.

I have experience in financial services, project management, communication, web services & social media, marketing and a great deal of passion for Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC.  All qualities which I feel could be put to great use in helping rectify past issues and moving the Society forward.

My refusal to assist previously, and the reasons for it, should be recorded in the minutes of the meeting held on 25th February 2016. My concerns remain, however my nomination is submitted in the knowledge that there are sufficient others nominees who I believe are both willing and able to assist the Society in achieving its aims.

Thank You,

Donald W. Johnstone

All I can add now is that I hope as many members as possible make it along to the meeting on Thursday as there's a lot at stake.  It's in your hands where CJT goes from here and the decision on whether I'm a rambling madman that should be ignored and sent on his way or if I'm right and change needs to be enforced should not be taken by just 20 or so members. Ultimately, if CJT were to go out of existence for whatever reason, then the 10% voting right in the club....which is the most important legacy left to us....could be lost forever.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

33 minutes ago, CaleyD said:

Apologies for not putting this up before, but I have been extremely busy and also had to take some time to decide whether I should just wash my hands of anything to do with the society or fight to bring it back into order and help move it forward.

For various reasons, some of which are included in my Statement for Nomination to the Board and having spoken at length with others, I felt I had to have one last go....so it's all cards on the table.

First off I would like to highlight a number of errors and exclusions from the minutes of the AGM held on 25th February 2016.  Obviously, only those at the meeting can verify the accuracy of what follows and it should be read on that basis.  I place the information here in order to fill in some of the gaps and paint a broader picture for those who have asked me directly and because I believe society members not present at the meeting and those in the community it serves deserve a more realistic view of events ahead of this week's meeting.

1. I did not suggest or state that the minutes of the previous years AGM could not be approved.  I questioned their accuracy on the basis that they contained no resolution to set aside the need for audited accounts when we had been presented with unaudited accounts.  On this matter it transpired that such a resolution had not been put to the meeting...so the minutes were accurate and could have been signed off.
  2. No minute that Mairi McLean stated that she did not believe it a requirement to set aside the need for an audit and I highlighted the rule (85.7) which indicated it did.
  3. There’s nothing in the minutes which record David Balfour’s acknowledgement that some of these issues had continued during his time as Chairman or that he had stated that had he been aware then he would have dealt with them.
  4. Bev Clark’s question on those with good knowledge of the issues was directed at me.  There’s no note in the minutes of my response that I was not willing to assist while members who I felt were responsible for the mess remained on the board.
  5. There is no note of LG’s refusal to let me read my letter of resignation from 2013 (in response to KM) which detailed why I had resigned and demonstrated that I had faced resistance from long standing board members on preventing and dealing with these issues in the past.
  6. No minute that I highlighted the fact that there was no resolution being put forward at this years AGM to set aside the need for Audited Accounts for the forthcoming financial year.
  7. No minute that I highlighted that, as per Society Rules, 1/3 of the existing board had not resigned at the AGM.
  8. Minutes state that I objected to the nominations put forward.  This is misleading as I had no objection to the individuals, my objections were raised on the basis that procedures laid out by the society had not been followed.
  9. There’s no minute of the fact that Kath Fraser stated she was resigning with effect from the end of the meeting.
  10. There’s no minute of the fact that the chair of the meeting (LG) stated on several occasions that she did not know enough about the rules to answer questions or ensure that the meeting was being conducted in the proper manner.
  11. No minute that David Balfour left the meeting before it ended.
  12. No minute that I stated that the meeting should have been adjourned when David Balfour left the room as it was no longer quorate (as per Society Rule 41). Or that LG stated I was wrong in this and continued the meeting.
  13. It was not agreed that it would be acceptable to co-opt the three nominees to the board.  It was stated that this would be a course of action that would be looked at.  It would not be possible for the meeting to agree this as it would be contrary to the rules of the society; both in regards to the requirements for co-opting and the fact that the meeting should have been adjourned before this matter was raised.

Sadly, the above will do nothing to lessen people's concerns about how the society is operating, I wish it were different.  It should also be noted that the above meeting was held under the auspices of the rule set which should have been registered with the FSA/FCA following the 2012 AGM and not the rules that it now transpires are in force (more on that below).

As indicated above, I have put forward a Nomination to the Board of the ICT Supporters Society and I include below a copy of my accompanying statement. As the society have not set up an election management group who would normally publish these statements, I have taken the liberty of publishing my own here.

To: ICT SUPPORTERS SOCIETY LTD

Date: 18th April 2016

It is my belief that the Inverness Caledonian Thistle Supporters Society Ltd is currently failing it’s members, the club and the community in which it operates. Internal governance would appear to be non existent and attempts by a few over the years to rectify the matter have been undermined by longer serving board members who appear to be of the opinion that despite a clearly defined set of rules, they should continue to do things in the wrong way because that is how it has always been done.

During my previous spell on the Board it came to light that the Society had not submitted any returns to the Financial Services Authority following it’s date of incorporation….and as such they had been served with a winding up order.

Only swift intervention prevented the Society being shut down, an act that would have seen the fans 10% voting right lost forever.

Sadly the above did not serve as a warning to some and attitudes remained as they were.

I resigned my previous position on the Board with effect from 1st September 2013.  I quote the following from my resignation letter;

“Whilst I accept and support the democratic nature of the organisation, I find it suffice to summarise that for many months I have found myself becoming more and more frustrated with what I would consider slow progress and the inability & refusal of the board to be united and decisive in its actions.”

“Further to the above, my on-going concerns in regards to the organisations position with the FSA (recently replaced by the Financial Conduct Authority), for which we have no written confirmation of status, appear to be falling largely on deaf ears.”

“I appreciate that these are inherited issues, but that does not make them any less important. It was an “if they don’t ask us, then we’re not asking them” approach that got us into trouble in the first place and my attempts to impress upon the board the urgency in dealing with it have done little to hasten its conclusion.”

It was my hope that by resigning and placing the above on record that it would prompt the board into action.  Sadly, that appears to be far from the case as, at the time of writing this, the Society finds itself in a position whereby returns are outstanding for the last 3 financial years and it has only just been revealed (because someone finally went and asked) that the new rules agreed by the AGM in 2012 have never been registered with the FSA/FCA.

Make no mistake, the above goes beyond the reach of errors made in good faith and into the realms of negligence and gross misconduct.  Not only could the Society find itself facing hefty fines, but individuals responsible could face prosecution if it were to come about that the Society or anyone they deal with has suffered loss or damage as a result of their actions.

Above all else, I believe in the ideal that fans should have some input into the operation of their respective clubs.  I also believe that Supporters Trusts are an efficient means of delivering that.

At present, Caley Jags Together is not in a position whereby it can, with any authority, hold Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC to account for anything (should it be needed) as they do not have their own house in order.  Not only does the current situation serve as a mockery to the Society, it serves as a mockery to the fans and community it is supposed to represent.

In order to allow the Society to move forward, I am of the opinion that the positions held by the longer standing Board members are untenable, they should resign and a new board be elected.

I perhaps made a mistake by resigning and not blowing the whistle louder back in 2013 and I have put myself forward for nomination to the Board of the Inverness Caledonian Thistle Supporters Society Ltd because I want to assist with getting the organisation back on track and serving the community it was set up to help represent.

I have experience in financial services, project management, communication, web services & social media, marketing and a great deal of passion for Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC.  All qualities which I feel could be put to great use in helping rectify past issues and moving the Society forward.

My refusal to assist previously, and the reasons for it, should be recorded in the minutes of the meeting held on 25th February 2016. My concerns remain, however my nomination is submitted in the knowledge that there are sufficient others nominees who I believe are both willing and able to assist the Society in achieving its aims.

Thank You,

Donald W. Johnstone

All I can add now is that I hope as many members as possible make it along to the meeting on Thursday as there's a lot at stake.  It's in your hands where CJT goes from here and the decision on whether I'm a rambling madman that should be ignored and sent on his way or if I'm right and change needs to be enforced should not be taken by just 20 or so members. Ultimately, if CJT were to go out of existence for whatever reason, then the 10% voting right in the club....which is the most important legacy left to us....could be lost forever.

That bunch of grapes strikes me as very sour indeed. I understand and appreciate there have been issues and problems. I know that there are differences in approach and of opinion but everyone who gives up their time to get involved clearly has the interest of the club, and more particularly it's supporters, at heart.

I fail to see how such bitterness and rancour publically expressed helps anyone.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 4

Sorry never made meeting last night as was working and didn't know who to email to send my apologies. Is it possible to get send the minutes from the meeting last night.