Inverness CT -V- Kilmarnock

Well that was certainly one of the weirdest days ever came into work and got told I could go to game so that was nice. First time seeing us play in absolute ages and scary how bad we have actually become storey can't even play his position, our passing is woeful at times and meekings at rb over raven who is a natural rb god knows what Hughes is on. With 11 men killie would have won easily the red changed that entirely against 10 men we can play but serious concerns about our future unless we recruit properly and actually sign enough players to fill a squad.

Thought Tremarco was our Man of the Match again.  I always felt a lot of fans were quite harsh about him on the whole but he's improved dramatically these last few weeks.  Looks far far more solid in both defence and attack and seems to have worked out the rash tackles from his game.  Our stand-out defender this season IMO.

• Agree 6

Pretty lucky today. Killie looked the more likely winners up until Balatonis moment of madness. The team are probably due some luck though after some of the muggings they've been on the end of this season. Hard to fathom how a team as good as Killie looked today can find themselves in such a precarious position. I reckon they'll absolutely hammer Hibs in the playoffs. Just goes to show what an awful manager Gary Locke is. Hope he never darkens our door. 

Vigurs MOTM for me. He's always had the talent, but to see his work rate, organization and leadership on the park today shows how much he's matured. Hope he's signed up soon. Tremarcos energy down the left is becoming a big asset to us. Great seeing Tansey ping long diaganols for him to run onto. His first touch is class. All that's missing is the finish / final ball when he reaches the last phase. If he can improve there he'll be one of the best left backs in this league. These 2 lads show you don't always need new signings to improve a position. Sometimes players grow into a role if you give them a chance. 

That could have easily finished 5 all!

When we had our customary spell of pressure (about 4 corners in a row) without taking advantage, and then lost a sucker punch of a goal, I thought that it was going to be the same old story. 

The difference for me is when Draper pushes forward - the last 4 games I've been to he has scored against county, won the penalty vs Motherwell, set up Storey against Utd and won the penalty and scored a goal today. 

The red card was a game changer - nice to see us benefit from some crazy defending - and the decision to pull Higginbotham was a nice double bonus. Good to see us go for the kill in those circumstances. 

Killie looked terrible, when they went behind you could see their shoulders slump, but we still managed to let them create a couple of chances, and they should have scored at least once. 

For me Draper was MoM - him taking a more attacking role changed the game. Honourable mentions for  Tremarco, and Fon Williams had a couple of good saves. 

And what was that stand side linesman about?

All in all, three points that just about ensure top flight football next season, but as others have said, let's push on and finish 7th. Starting with a win at Partick next week - so that sneckboy can complete his set of home and away wins in the top flight!

• Agree 5

7 hours ago, MuirtownJaggy said:

Saw Aaron Doran in the Main stand today. I must say he looked in decent shape.

He must have changed since I seen him last or I must be in good shape as well :lol:

• Agree 3

Delighted with the result today and the performance wasn't bad however I won't be expecting to see us doing in through our last 5 games, no matter how much I'd love to see it! 

Killie scored against the run of play IMO although I wouldn't go as far as saying we pulled them apart! After giving off a couple chances early in the second half I thought we started the second half pretty well. Up until the red I thought we would get back into it as we were the better side but once McDonald got sent off I couldn't see us losing! Good penalty from Tansey, scrappy finish from draper and fantastic team goal for Williams goal. 

I would like to point out also that it's very annoying to constantly hear fans booing and shouting when the boys start passing around. Sometimes you have to be patient, sometimes you have to go backwards and it proved to work for this goal. And I'll admit, I hate seeing us settle for a point by going side to side but I enjoy watching the games when we play decent passing football like today. 

At the end of day we got 3 points and are as good as safe so getting players to sign is now imperative. I am not looking forward to the summer as I dread to think what's going to happen too the squad.

• Agree 4

Oh My! IBM . Not sure of your shape? Smile.

So your dreams of rivalling J. Fangio have by now evaporated, have they?

Believe it or not, on T. V. I  was watching the circuit car racing in the Southern U.S. today and ,boy, do these high powered machines really fly round these loops. And so close together.....really great control from outstanding (young for the most part) drivers .

There is a big controversy between the drivers from the different teams and the Body that controls the racing there,  over the cheating of some teams who remove one of the 5 wheel nuts to increase their cars' speed. In  many minds, this apparently renders the car less safe since the pressure  on the wheel nuts is very high and a considerable body of opinion  has built up that this practice should be stamped out. But the argument goes that to date such an accident has never happened to a car where one wheel comes off when driving with only four wheel nuts on their rims.

At the speeds and torques engendered by these Daytona 500 type cars (correct me if I am wrong, IBM) there can only be  a first time IMHO.

Any comment IBM?

It's a funny old game.  Like HawkeyeThe Gnu, after that sucker goal at the end of the first half following a period of good pressure from us, I thought it was not to be our day.  But we were gifted a goal and a one man advantage which soon led to 2 more goals and a comfortable win at the end.  We are now all but mathematically safe and can breathe a sigh of relief.  Phew.

I'm sure the manager will have enjoyed the third goal.  It was a John Hughes style of goal.  Patient possession, tease out an opening and slot the ball past the keeper.  A very nice goal but made possible because Draper's rather less pretty goal had knocked the stuffing out of Kilmarnock and they gave us plenty of space to knock the ball about in.  There is a time and place for that style of play - and that was it.  But after that, they regrouped and with Vigurs having been taken off they managed to find a bit more space in midfield and were, perhaps, a little bit unlucky not to get back into the match.

I was pleased that we played with a much more attack minded approach from the start.  The pressure that created should have had us in front by half time and should convince the manager to persevere with this.  The more positive approach was exemplified by Meekings getting forward much more than usual but, unfortunately with less effect than we have seen with Raven.  Surely today's game should also have made it clear to Yogi that Raven is a better RB than Meekings and Meekings is a better CB than Devine.  I have no ill will at Devine, he's a perfectly fine player and I would love to see him extend his contract - but as cover for a CB pairing of Warren and Meekings.

Draper needs to be pushed forward more.  He has got surprisingly nimble feet for a big man.  He also looks very ungainly and when he surges forward defenders simply don't know how to cope with him.  It's not that often he gets into the box but it is telling just how often he gets results when he does.

Vigurs did some great work in midfield today but Tremarco was MOTM for me.  Renegade is spot on in what he said above.

• Agree 2

• Scotty featured this topic

Yes shame about the passing groans.

When they had 10 men they backed off, a good time to create space through or around them with even bigger gaps if the defence lure them forward but still we still managed a good mix of different forms of attack.

• Agree 1

3rd goal I enjoyed, shame so many fans got impatient within the first few passes, but I thought it was great and eventually what Yogi is trying has come off, sadly its not often enough. If that was a bigger club Sportscene would have showed all the passes in the move, not the last 2 - but then we got less highlights time that Rangers, so what can we expect.

Some points from the game

Anyone notice that Richie has the last few games sat outside the dugout, rather than in it alongside Hughes, also yesterday he was joined by Raven? Also anyone else see how after Kilie scored and we were returning to the centre to kick off that Richie ran over (from his seat) to kick the ball back, granted it was only a few yards infield from the touchline but seems an odd thing to do considering the 4th official and Rice were both closer - was that to make a statement?

There was also the incident where Yogi was clearly having a real go at Warren, considering he lost his man once and performed pretty solid throughout compared to Devine - it seems odd. Clearly Warren wasn't happy at this and the touchline exchange looked quite heated.

Reading too much into this or is there a rift opening up at our club with Foran (others) and Hughes?

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, HumbersideDude said:

Was the attendance announce in the ground, if so what was it?  Doesn't seem to be published anywhere.

I didn't hear it.  I don't know why it appears not to have been published but it was certainly a very poor crowd.  It would not surprise me if that was our lowest ever top flight league crowd at TCS.

Question for the stattos, was our third a new club record for the most successful passes in the build-up to a goal? Surely it must be. Got to grasp the positives in times like these! Great team goal. Hopefully the caley jags TV highlights show the move in it's entirety. Looking forward to the reactions of our enthusiastic in house commentator. "Amazeeen passeeen!" 

Edited by AlexJones
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, DoofersDad said:

I didn't hear it.  I don't know why it appears not to have been published but it was certainly a very poor crowd.  It would not surprise me if that was our lowest ever top flight league crowd at TCS.

Don't think it was announced. I'd guess something like 2,700, but it might even have been lower. It was certainly the quietest!

It looked very much as though we were heading for what might have been a damaging and morale sapping defeat until we got the break with the penalty and sending off.

Taking goal difference into account, we are now certain in practical terms to be in the Premiership next season. Time now to concentrate fully on securing vital members of the squad for next season and beyond and that very much includes David Raven.

6 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

Anyone notice that Richie has the last few games sat outside the dugout, rather than in it alongside Hughes, also yesterday he was joined by Raven? Also anyone else see how after Kilie scored and we were returning to the centre to kick off that Richie ran over (from his seat) to kick the ball back, granted it was only a few yards infield from the touchline but seems an odd thing to do considering the 4th official and Rice were both closer - was that to make a statement?

Reading too much into this or is there a rift opening up at our club with Foran (others) and Hughes?

Someone on P&B was saying that words were exchanged between Hughes and Rice at one point!  Something I've wondered about Foran on the bench, is it purely a ceremonial role?  In recent weeks, we've taken off Storey and brought the soon to be departing and out of position Danny Williams on upfront ahead of Foran.  Even stranger, at Tannadice the other week at half time I was stood by the barrier over the looking the pitch when I saw Richie Foran walking down the touchline with a drink in hand.  Lucozade?  Water?  No, coffee!  Doesn't seem like the type of beverage someone about to come on the park would be drinking!

1 hour ago, bdu98196 said:

2228 according to BBC wherever they got that figure from. Looking around at the vast empty areas all over, I'm shocked it was as high as that - unless we are counting security, officials and the playing squad to up the numbers.

That's terrifyingly low. How many will be at the United game? They might well be relegated by then and bring absolutely nobody. We can hardly expect the players to not be on their summer hols already if the fans already are! 7th might not sound very glamorous, but it will earn a stack more than 10th in prize money!

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, PerfICT said:

That's terrifyingly low. How many will be at the United game? They might well be relegated by then and bring absolutely nobody. We can hardly expect the players to not be on their summer hols already if the fans already are! 7th might not sound very glamorous, but it will earn a stack more than 10th in prize money!

About three first team players worth......

49 minutes ago, PerfICT said:

That's terrifyingly low.

Agreed, yet fans still complain and wonder why we don't have budget to offer new deals and improved packages to players?

1 hour ago, Renegade said:

Someone on P&B was saying that words were exchanged between Hughes and Rice at one point!  Something I've wondered about Foran on the bench, is it purely a ceremonial role?  In recent weeks, we've taken off Storey and brought the soon to be departing and out of position Danny Williams on upfront ahead of Foran.  Even stranger, at Tannadice the other week at half time I was stood by the barrier over the looking the pitch when I saw Richie Foran walking down the touchline with a drink in hand.  Lucozade?  Water?  No, coffee!  Doesn't seem like the type of beverage someone about to come on the park would be drinking!

Strangest of all is that he got the full 90mins against Hibs in the cup without playing any time before or after and he was far from our worst performer that night.

• Agree 1

Maybe I was watching a different game to some of those on here, I found it enjoyable to see the team playing with determination, even more so in the second half and it was great to see football being played again in a Hughesesque fashion with space being used to the full and accurate passing. I was never in doubt that we were going to take three points.

Draper again my man of the match, barging his way into the box playing an attacking role, delighted he got his goal he deserved it.

Have to say J H is correct in his comments regarding strike power, We do lack that finisher. Chances went a begging again,  Take sentiment out of the equation and we would all be shouting for the money to be put to that use

Don't get me wrong I want David Raven in the team as much as anyone does but don't decry Devine he is young and learning fast just like Tremarco is and if you think about it Billy small c was the same when he first came to us. I would like to see Raven get at least another season. I also want to see Devine flourish There are very hard choices to be made.

It is very disappointing to see conspiracy theories taking over these pages which is fuelling the anti Hughes campaign, just remember what he did for us last season and that another managerial candidate at the time has a side that didn't do much last season and is only a fraction above us this season with a team that has not had the troubles we have experienced.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 2

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic