Inverness CT -V- Kilmarnock

On 26 April 2016 at 9:50 AM, RiG said:

I've never heard of anything so ridiculous. Put off attending a football game by what someone says on a football forum? Get a grip.

My issue was more with comments during the game...the incessant criticism of every single touch or pass is really grating.

On 26 April 2016 at 0:43 PM, bdu98196 said:

People seem to forget that WE pay to attend the football which is meant to be entertainment. Each one of us pays towards the running of the club and therefore the players. If I go to the cinema, theatre or any other entertainment stream then it seems to be acceptable to comment on the quality, performance and maybe even the director or cast, same if I go for dinner I can criticise the food, service or even the management for staffing or service issues yet it seems to some that on here its not acceptable to comment on what we pay to see on the pitch or around the club.

If you have a bad meal, you discuss it afterwards, or while your eating it, but you don't stand and shout through to the chef in the kitchen and criticise how he is producing your meal; we may know how to cook, But it certainly isn't our profession. Criticism in this way would likely have a negative effect on his ability to perform to the best of his abilities... Ditto with the idea of a film-would you stand over the shoulder of a director and tell him he's not filming the movie correctly, that you know better? However it's acceptable to criticise the players during a match, which they CAN hear - this is likely to frustrate the players, and negatively affect their performance. 

And if you were at a movie, and another cinema-goers commentary was affecting YOUR enjoyment of the product you'd be pissed off too! 

As ive said before, the constant bemoaning of every single choice or pass or touch by the players is draining! 

This forum IS the place for that, I agree. Some people might talk absolute guff, myself included, but it's better to do it on here than shout and scream and boo our own players.

• Agree 1

On 25/04/2016 at 4:52 PM, Sneckboy said:

From what I can garner from 'looking back' through the records of our SPL/Premiership home games, it is indeed a record low crowd - for the Caledonian Stadium.

Obviously, there have been lower crowds for some Cup games - and we dipped below 2,000 on a few occasions when we were using Pittodrie as our home.
But, reliable figures from our first period in the SPL are difficult to source - so I've reluctantly used Wikipedia's entries for that period. So could be subject to error...I'm happy to stand corrected.

But, for now, the 2,228 is the record low crowd for a top-tier league fixture at the TCS.

Thanks, Sneckboy.  Informative as ever!  Sorry not to have picked up on this sooner but rather surprised nobody else has commented on this rather alarming and important statistic.

Now I appreciate that an early kick off on a Sunday with the game live on TV will affect the gate, but we have had televised games before and not had such a poor gate.  One also needs to bear in mind that this was a very important game with a win virtually assuring Premiership football next season and that should have encouraged a few more folk to come along and support the team.

Bottom line is people will attend matches more if they feel they are being entertained and getting value for money.  The appalling crowd on Sunday is evidence that more and more people are not being entertained and don't feel they are getting value for money.   Our budget is tight enough as it is without it getting tighter as a result of falling gate receipts.  Ironically, I thought there was a more positive approach on Sunday, but we need to build on that if we are to persuade the occasional fans to come along a bit more often.

Great post by bdu98916.  Absolutely spot on!   I think ictfcsince94 misses the point slightly as the criticism on here is more akin to writing a review on Tripadvisor or Rotten Tomatoes after a meal or a film.  We support the team on the day but criticise later.  I do agree though that some fans are a bit too vocal in their criticism during games and not vocal enough in support. But it is fair enough to allow a certain amount of displeasure (not abuse) at the time.  After all, if you are in a restaurant and your steak is well done when you asked for medium rare, you would complain at the time surely?  

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, 12th Man said:

I tried that but discovered that the voice I was getting fed up with was mine.:slapme:

I don't hear much moaning in Main Stand section G

If the Youth Team would return then I wouldn't be able to hear myself either.....any explanation for their absence, since funnily enough the County game? 

9 minutes ago, ictfcsince94 said:

If the Youth Team would return then I wouldn't be able to hear myself either.....any explanation for their absence, since funnily enough the County game? 

Do you think their mums grounded them for coming home covered in red dye.

I very much doubt it's from anything posted on here as they have got better things to do than to read this.

I'll tell you what though.

The Young team emerged on the back of a pay what you can initiative. 

With low attendances, maybe an under 18s go free or something for the televised Friday night fixture. 

Collectively I'm sure we can do our bit to advertise it across the secondary schools and elsewhere especially with having a Monday free.

Just a thought though as the club still need to make money.

• Agree 1

Yes. Come back Young Team. We just didn't appreciate what your noise levels brought enough.

There is a difference between being acceptably vocal and being offensive to others around you (especially with the family type fan base that we now have at ICT), but it is a football match after all and hopefully some of the more mature fans  sitting around the young 'uns can gently guide them when they push the boundaries too far. They are just finding their way in the world and if we just criticise they won't learn. I know that I have pointed out to a couple of lads in the past about their choice of words with very young children sitting behind them, they apologised immediately and I don't think any offence was caused to them by me. It wasn't a big deal and if they had been sat amongst adults it would have been fine to use that language.

I love to hear the young ones singing and I'm sure it spurs the team on. Please, please be noisy again before the end of the season.

On 25/04/2016 at 4:52 PM, Sneckboy said:

From what I can garner from 'looking back' through the records of our SPL/Premiership home games, it is indeed a record low crowd - for the Caledonian Stadium.

Obviously, there have been lower crowds for some Cup games - and we dipped below 2,000 on a few occasions when we were using Pittodrie as our home.
But, reliable figures from our first period in the SPL are difficult to source - so I've reluctantly used Wikipedia's entries for that period. So could be subject to error...I'm happy to stand corrected.

But, for now, the 2,228 is the record low crowd for a top-tier league fixture at the TCS.

Attendances for most games back to 2004/5 can be found on this site. Look in Teams/Fixtures. Lowest 'home' league crowd at Pittodrie was 1125 v Dundee United 23rd Nov 2004. A Tuesday night. Lowest home crowd at TCS prior to relegation was 3021 v Livingston Saturday May 7th 2005. Lowest crowd in 09/10 season was 2008 v Airdrie on Tuesday night 23rd March 2010. Lowest crowd since coming back into Prem is 2366 v Motherwell on April 1st 2014. Again a Tuesday night. So yes Sundays game v Killie is the new Premier league record low attendance 

On 27/04/2016 at 8:29 PM, ictfcsince94 said:

My issue was more with comments during the game...the incessant criticism of every single touch or pass is really grating.

Fair enough. Football fans are mostly idiots (and I include myself in that sweeping generalisation as well). ICT fans will moan if we pass the ball along the back screaming for the players to get it forward at which point, when the ball is launched forward, the same fans will rage about, erm, launching the ball forward. Just ignore them and get behind the team.

• Agree 6

8 hours ago, RiG said:

ICT fans will moan if we pass the ball along the back screaming for the players to get it forward at which point, when the ball is launched forward, the same fans will rage about, erm, launching the ball forward.

This one sentence epitomises the CaleyThistle fan! :frustrated01:

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic