Partick Th -V- Inverness CT

Scotty

4 hours ago, 12th Man said:

I had Carlos down to score at 20:1 today.

Had a feeling we were going to score 3.

Assists by our goalie, Tremarco, Draper /Warren

Tremarco,Storey, Draper for the goals.

That bet has paid for my 2 x £10 ICT tops. :smile:

Well done lads. Just frustrating that we didn't turn the corner a week or two earlier! Between the positive statement from the club and that performance, blue skies ahead! Let's hope we get the guys we want signed up and finish the season on a really positive note.

• Agree 2

Now ladies & gentlemen, that's how you end a hoodoo!

What a result. Scored 4, could have been 8. 

Tremarco's opener was a cracker, and once Storey added the second the result was never in doubt. We cut Partick open at will and how Mutombo didn't get a goal (or more accurately a hat trick) I don't know. 

Our front three looked dangerous every time they went forward, and everybody had a good game. When you look at Roberts today, you really wonder why he has spent so much time on the bench when fit  

Partick were abject, it's the only word for it. 

As has been said above, plenty of positives today - finally ending any hint of relegation worries, completing the full set, and finally laying the Partick in the premiership bogey to pick just three. 

Three more ore wins to finish the season please!

Edited by HawkeyeTheGnu
  • Agree 1

I really didn't buy the Roberts injury excuse of late but hey ho what a performance and win. Now that we're mathematically safe how about we get most of the current squad signed for next season at least?

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Great to finally see a good league performance from us in Maryhill. The second half was the best football I've seen us play this season. Obviously John Hughes does now have more options in terms of playing staff than he has had for some time, but the big difference between today's performance and so many others this season was tactical. We pressed Partick high up the park, using the same tactic to stop them playing that they have used on us so often, and we were prepared to go direct in attack when necessary (something, to be fair, we have been trying to do more in recent weeks), as evidenced by the opening goal. Securing a two-goal cushion then allowed us to start playing the more intricate passing game which we seemed to want to play almost all the time earlier in the season, but which simply isn't always suited to particular games or doesn't always work against particular sides. Having the pace of both Roberts and Storey in attack also made a big difference, and Mutombo had the best game I've seen him play for us, and looks much more suited to a more central role than the wide berths he has often taken up after coming on as a sub. Tremarco continues to impress too - along with Polworth, he has been our most improved player this season.

As good as we were, it does need to be acknowledged that Partick were absolutely dreadful in the second half - as soon as Storey's goal went in, the players collectively looked like they'd chucked it. But still, it was nice to see an ICT side playing like last season's team. More of this sort of thing, please.     

• Agree 8

Just seen the goals, two nice assists from mutombo. Tremarco showing some composure in front of goal, at last. Awful defending from the corner, for meekings to side foot in a corner from 7 yards out with noone near him is really amatuer stuff. Good cross and finish for the 4th. Let's finish the season strong and seal 7th spot...with more points than county!

Not much to add from what AM has said. We were much more positive in an attacking sense. Gone was the lethargic sideways passing replaced by direct attacking play initiated by rapid closing down of Partick players when they had the ball. Draper, Polworth and Roberts were really impressive in terms of their work rate to close down opposing players. We don't get that with Vigurs and whilst he is no doubt a talented player I feel he lacks the same level of determination to clamp down on opposition players with the same effectiveness as the players mentioned above.

Mutumbo had his best game for us in what I would say is his best position (just behind a striker although we didn't play with one again as Storey was deployed on the right hand side of the pitch but it worked). Some of his flicks and tricks don't come off but he is very good at playing cute little passes in behind the last man for a team mate to run on to. I'm not his biggest fan but he was very impressive.

Tremarco and Meekings also got further forward than I have seen them do in a long time. It was almost a return to the gung ho days of Paterson as more often than not our defence typically ended up being Devine, Warren and Tansey just in front of them such was the relentless attacking down the flanks from out full backs.

Partick, as AM said, gave up really quite quickly which was surprising. That said we shouldn't take anything away from ICT as we were really quite good. It's just a shame that we've emphasised so much on possession for possessions sake instead of actually trying to attack other teams like we did on Saturday.

Hoping for a continuation on Friday night against what will surely be a dispirited Dundee United side.

• Agree 1

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic

Correction made to our online stats.....Danny Williams had been included in the squad when it should have been Ryan Williams.

Looks like an Opta error in the first instance as the mistake has been repeated on all stats sites.