Dundee United fielded ineligible player

pmacict

the one thing I would question from this is if the points do not matter as Dundee Utd are already down, surely deducting points is pointless anyway?

a more effective punishment would have been  a larger fine or deducting points next season.

However, if we are being awarded a 3-0 win as I have heard all over the internet, surely that should change our goal difference and points, otherwise why even award the scoreline?

I do agree we should focus on our remaining games though.

Logically the game should have been replayed but the deduction of 3 points seems fair enough, to me anyway, as this did not affect the final result in anyway if we are being realistic.

The fine of £30000 is, again in my opinion, way over the top and, as someone has suggested appears to be sticking the knife into the chairman more than anything else. I think he was quite right to resign for what appears to have been a genuine mistake.

the substitution made no difference to the game, so at worst they should get a slap on the wrist. the points deduction is irrelevant as they were already down. Us not getting the points instead could be a more major talking point but didnt think we really deserved them ! 

Thomson would have had to resign anyway - he is a Premiership representative so would have had to seek re-election as a championship rep. They mentioned on radio that the championship rep also had to step down for same reason. 

Since the result has been declared null and void, we now have a situation where Inverness will finish the season having played one less fixture than everyone else. With potential swings of hundreds of thousands of pounds at stake for final positions, the SPFL thinks this disparity isn't a problem? Give me a break. There's no way such an anomaly would be so callously dismissed if it were affecting an Old Firm club challenging for the title. A case of, "It's that lot up there, f""" them." 

Edited by AlexJones
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

was it declared null and void ? I read on the SPFL website that United were deducted 3 points and fined 30K ! a subtle but important difference to your interpretation.  Although we didnt deserve the points, I do however agree with your comment about the final table. the difference in money terms between 7th and 8th spot is 53K .... but we still have a chance to secure 7th on Saturday, especially if we win tonight.

As a result, Dundee United were severely censured, deducted three points from their points total this Season and fined £30,000 (part suspended).

The disciplinary hearing concluded that replaying the game before the end of the Season was not practical

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

the substitution made no difference to the game,

Sheer speculation!  From the moment Coote came on, nothing that did happen in his 16 minutes on the pitch would have happened had an eligible player been there instead.  Coote didn't need to score to change the game, he just needed to position himself half a yard from where the alternative player would have been and it might cause an ICT or DU player to have played a different pass and from that moment, everything is different. That's why in football these days, the result never stands.

Today's ruling is outrageous!  It doesn't matter that we might feel we didn't play well or deserve to win, but we all know that football matches can turn on the slightest thing. 

We are the wronged party here, and the punishment dished out today does nothing to rectify that and give us the chance to play against a fully eligible team.  At the very least we should be entitled to replay the game, and if there is no time for the fixture to be replayed, a win should have been awarded to us.  

• Agree 6

Even if an ineligible player stays on the bench you can't say it made no difference.  Had an eligible player been on the bench instead, the circumstances of the game may have led the manager to have made different substitutions to those that were made.  You have to have clear and consistent rules and then stick to them.

• Agree 4

Lot's of what if's which become irrelevant if we beat dundee on Saturday...I do hope ICTFC officials have reserved clubs position though. Some our SPFL counterparts have made mountains out of much smaller molehills. 

• Agree 2

21 hours ago, AlexJones said:

Since the result has been declared null and void, we now have a situation where Inverness will finish the season having played one less fixture than everyone else. With potential swings of hundreds of thousands of pounds at stake for final positions, the SPFL thinks this disparity isn't a problem? Give me a break. There's no way such an anomaly would be so callously dismissed if it were affecting an Old Firm club challenging for the title. A case of, "It's that lot up there, f""" them."

The result wasn't declared null and void, it still stands and will show on the record books as a Dundee Utd victory so no we will not have played one game less, they were deducted three points due to their error - it just so happens that it is the same number of points as gained from the win.

Hundreds of thousands of pounds? Hardly, if we finish 8th rather than 7th it's a difference of £52750.00, the attached explains the values to each position and how it is distributed (I checked various sites but this one explains it the best) - http://stv.tv/sport/football/1331865-spfl-sides-to-share-record-21m-prize-money-payout-in-201516-season/

Also on the back of the above if we do finish 8th rather than 7th it'll be our own fault and not that of a decision made by the SPFL for an error by an opponent. A season is played over 38 games and not just 1 game.

I think it's about time as well that we ditch the 'It's that lot up there, f'''''' them' attitude as it benefits nobody and to bemone that belief only keeps it going and fuels it more, we should be concentrating on ourselves and what we are doing rather than anyone else.

• Agree 7

Bad decision. A possibly very high fine but it could also be one that was such at this level so that ICT could not complain and say that D.U.  got off lightly.

ICT should sue them.  The chairman has a very good lawyer friend in the West and  they should undoubtedly push for points and money. If the rules are such that they are deffo the rules in this scenario how could  they get away with It. ICT would be vindicated and have more points and it would be a signal lesson to these twits in the West.

PLUS, a great end to an otherwise slightly disappointing season. Go for it Kenny.

3 minutes ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

Bad decision. A possibly very high fine but it could also be one that was such at this level so that ICT could not complain and say that D.U.  got off lightly.

ICT should sue them.  The chairman has a very good lawyer friend in the West and  they should undoubtedly push for points and money. If the rules are such that they are deffo the rules in this scenario how could  they get away with It. ICT would be vindicated and have more points and it would be a signal lesson to these twits in the West.

PLUS, a great end to an otherwise slightly disappointing season. Go for it Kenny.

Scarlet, our victory over Dundee ensured that there was no effect on our final league position and as a result our place money.

The points would make no difference and we suffered no financial loss so there would be nothing to sue for.

In fact, it could be argued that having the 'best of the rest' position at stake might have added a couple of hundred to the gate on Saturday resulting in a modest financial gain.

10 hours ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

Your some man Scarlet,  the banks went downhill when someone moved abroad.

I think I was trying to make the point that  they shouldn't be allowed to get away with it otherwise it could become a tit for tat free for all. 'Well they got away with it, sniff, so why can't we?"

As for the Banks, IBM,all I can say is "many a word spoken in jest.....".

Look at the RBS for a classic example of a decent outfit having gone on the downward slide.   I saw a piece on the local telly about the banks  and Freddie the Fearless Fly Goodwin, the former Board Chairman of the Royal Bank of Scotland., whose 3 year law suit has just ended NOT with a conviction against him for his part in the financial disaster created under his watch, but a not-guilty verdict--all this despite the fact that he got a few millions in a settlement after he had resigned from the Board, bought another house after selling his last one for millions and is now a very wealthy individual. Meanwhile, back at the ranch ,we note that the shares fell from great heights to a smaller 25 cents or something and then the British  Government had  to rescue this once stable and highly-thought of bank to save it  from the knackers''s yard. Not that the Scottish or English Banks have  proved to be unique since we can also remind ourselves of the Wall Street ponzie schemes that bankrupted half of American in  the last decade. You know, what the "Donald" is on about as well as Bernie Sanders, the latter seeming to at least  have his head screwed on a bit tighter than the competition.

OCH! Scarbaby , it's the end of the season  ease off and  awa an get a wee snooze. Help my Smilies won't work.

Cheers guys and thanks for the memories.